Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    OK, here is a crazy one. Does anyone know of a way to access a HTML file stored locally on the Pre? I have a set of directories that I use that are in HTML format. I have copied them to a file on my Pre, but haven't yet figured out a way to get to them with the web browser. Any ideas?
  2. #2  
    Can you use a file:// URL?
  3. #3  
    OK, sorry, maybe you don't know what I'm talking about:

    If you store your file in a directory called 'docs' and the file is called 'directions.html' try typing in the web browser:

    file://docs/directions.html

    Unfortunately, we have security restrictions here at work which prevent me from connecting my phone to the computer to test it here.

    I think the only problem you may encounter is that you may need a full path and I don't know where in the filesystem we are when we store our files, probably something like /home/<username>.
  4. #4  
    I just tried it on my Pre, and got the error message "Cannot display local files."
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jshortess View Post
    I just tried it on my Pre, and got the error message "Cannot display local files."
    That's a bummer. It would really be cool if Palm allows this in the future.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    OK, sorry, maybe you don't know what I'm talking about:

    If you store your file in a directory called 'docs' and the file is called 'directions.html' try typing in the web browser:

    file://docs/directions.html

    Unfortunately, we have security restrictions here at work which prevent me from connecting my phone to the computer to test it here.

    I think the only problem you may encounter is that you may need a full path and I don't know where in the filesystem we are when we store our files, probably something like /home/<username>.
    Thanks...however this may be the answer to my question.... this is what I get when trying your suggestion (file://....)


  7. #7  
    We really need a file management system for this thing.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by guidoracer View Post
    We really need a file management system for this thing.
    +1
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by guidoracer View Post
    We really need a file management system for this thing.
    Do you mean a file browser?
  10. mosdl's Avatar
    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #10  
    you can always try BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com and see waht that does
  11. martinp13's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #11  
    I have a bunch of local HTML files for geocaching, used to work fine under Blazer on my Treo. On the Pre I tried the "file:///etcetcetc" format just like on the Treo, but "Cannot display local files".

    On the GoTo program, I notice when I select a file that it looks at /media/internal/etcetc.gpx. I tried to use the web browser to look in that direction, but it doesn't work.
  12. ksom's Avatar
    Posts
    355 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    #12  
    It will be great that Pre can do this.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
  13. #13  
    +1 here

    this is such a goofy restriction!!!! if you can display external html files why can't they be displayed locally? I find this just amazing.
  14. #14  
    As a slight modification of the original post, can HTML pull any other files from local directories?

    Namely audio or image files.

    I'm looking to extend the functionality of FlashCards without the inherent latency of remote hosting of files.
  15. #15  
    there is a way i believe.... someone here was aking about this hmmmm ... lemme find the post be right back

    ...

    UPDATE: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-possible.html
    ok i believe the OP in that thread got it working but dunno how
  16. #16  
    Yeah, I posted a similar thread a while back.

    BlackBerry handles offline HTML files brilliantly - I'd love to see this working with WebOS.
  17. #17  
    You can view local html files when you install the lightly web server from Preware.
    After you've done so, open up the browser and type 'localhost'.
    You get to see all html files in the main directory.
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    You can view local html files when you install the lightly web server from Preware.
    After you've done so, open up the browser and type 'localhost'.
    You get to see all html files in the main directory.
    You are a star
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    You can view local html files when you install the lightly web server from Preware.
    After you've done so, open up the browser and type 'localhost'.
    You get to see all html files in the main directory.
    If i'm looking in Internalz, which directory is the "main directory"? Is it the default /media/internal or it's parent directory two levels up?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    If i'm looking in Internalz, which directory is the "main directory"? Is it the default /media/internal or it's parent directory two levels up?
    I second this question, I can't seem to actually find the HTML files in the browser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions