Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am not sure if this has been posted or not, but changing your email to receive emails as they arrive will utilize battery much slower than any other setting besides manual.

Battery yesterday was depleted to 75% before noon with moderate use. Same use today, and battery is at 92%. I have not changed any other settings.
  2.    #2  
    One more thing... Use WiFi if you have it.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Are you on drugs? WiFI consumes a drastic amount of battery life compared to having it off. Finally, having your email pushed to your phone immediately should also consume more, but haven't tested that yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Are you on drugs? WiFI consumes a drastic amount of battery life compared to having it off. Finally, having your email pushed to your phone immediately should also consume more, but haven't tested that yet.
    I heard the opposite for WiFi. The mail thing I agree with.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
  5.    #5  
    ... Sorry, I didn't clarify. If you are surfing the net and you have no need for phone calls, turn on Airplane mode and turn on WiFi. It works, seriouslly.

As to the other issue you bring up, if I receive one email every hour and my device checks email every 5 10 or 15 minutes, wouldn't it be better to only receive pushed email when it comes? Just saying.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    The mail thing I agree with.
    Thanks... nice to be validated...
    He's right, push e-mails as opposed to check every 30 mins takes a lot less. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but it works...

Here's my theory on WHY: Your gmail account or palm profile doesn't kick down (or push) an alert until you have a mail. So it's not needlessly checking every 30 minutes or so for mail that isn't there. Basically it only uses the net when it needs to.
    Pogeypetey is right, if they are only recieving email that often, it is better to receive as new mail arrives. However, given Akorals response to the OP I would assume they get mail much more frequently and therefore it would consume their battery much quicker.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I've been testing the WiFi theory for the last 2 days and will attest that with WiFi ON (I didn't mess with AirPlane mode at all) I've gotten drastically improved battery life. Drastically.

I was under the impression that WiFi would burn juice more than the phone, but apparently they have a lower-power consuming WiFi antenna than other cell phones. It has really shocked me and I will definitely leave my WiFi on when in range.

Right now (3pm) my batt is at 76%. I pulled it off the touchstone at 6:15am and since then have had Push emails from 2 different accounts - both receive email regularly, heavy texting, multiple web browser session, showed a friend some movie trailers from Fandango, played Pandora for about 30 min, 2 phone calls each about 10-15 min and played the Palm "Have Fun" video 1 time....

I have very solid EVDO-RevA signal strength where I work, so it's pretty clear using the WiFi just plain uses less battery than driving the WiFi antenna.

Just my $0.02....try it out for yourself.

EDIT: I should have clarified...I have used the phone about the same amount all week (not like Sat when I couldn't put it down) and Monday and Tuesday I was pretty low...like 20-30% left around this time of the day.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    not on the pre! it actually savs battery to keep wi fi on .. believe me i have tested it. it works.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by fromtherockpile View Post
    Pogeypetey is right, if they are only recieving email that often, it is better to receive as new mail arrives. However, given Akorals response to the OP I would assume they get mail much more frequently and therefore it would consume their battery much quicker.
    Math -

For our example 1 email = 50 kb

Phone A downloads 4 emails one at a time = How many KB?

Phone B downloads 4 emails all at once = how many KB?

Answer - same.

Now if Phone A is pushed the email, is there a potential that it will still use less battery? Yes. Because if 4 emails came in one 15 minute period, it didn't have to check 3 other times.

Talk about crazy.
    I can't set my Pre to recieve emails as they come. I get 5min 10min 30min etc. and Manual. How do I do this?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    not on the pre! it actually savs battery to keep wi fi on .. believe me i have tested it. it works.
    By the way, anyone ever tell you that you look like Carlos Boozer from the Utah Jazz?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Media Offline View Post
    I can't set my Pre to recieve emails as they come. I get 5min 10min 30min etc. and Manual. How do I do this?
    Email - Prefernces & Accounts - Choose account - Sync - Get Email - As Items Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Media Offline View Post
    You're not using an IMAP service. (IE A pop3 account etc.) In this case you're stuck with the 5, 10, 30, etc options. Sorry.

Alternatively you can set your e-mails to forward to a g-mail account. Then set-up that gmail account on your phone. And if you want to go the extra mile you can set your "Reply-To" e-mail address to the e-mail address that forwards to your g-mail address, so when you reply to mail your recipients will never know you were using g-mail to do it.

That was probably the worst explanation ever, if you need clarification, just ask.
    You may want to do a little research before acting like that to someone. Don't make snarky remarks unless you can back them up...
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    You may want to do a little research before acting like that to someone. Don't make snarky remarks unless you can back them up...

(For the slow people, the picture is saying "ohhh burned...")
    Fun Forum _
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post

Do you guys mean just have it on but not used while you use your standard EVDO or are you saying using it on a Wi-Fi connection INSTEAD of EVDO?
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by celsian View Post
    You're not using an IMAP service. (IE A pop3 account etc.) In this case you're stuck with the 5, 10, 30, etc options. Sorry.

Alternatively you can set your e-mails to forward to a g-mail account. Then set-up that gmail account on your phone. And if you want to go the extra mile you can set your "Reply-To" e-mail address to the e-mail address that forwards to your g-mail address, so when you reply to mail your recipients will never know you were using g-mail to do it.

That was probably the worst explanation ever, if you need clarification, just ask.
    I wish I had a seemingly limitless amount of funny pictures that perfectly fit in with the forum so that I didn't have to actually type. Kudos.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast