Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 69
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    For accounts that are not push compatable, change to Manual. You can then do your own send and receive when you want.
    Unfortunately the Manual setting does not function as advertised. It's been documented and reported as a bug...
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster242 View Post
    My theory on the mail as they arrive thing is... that setting probably starts a listen host on a port for incoming mail which is much less processor intensive than establishing a connection, transmitting a request, and processing a response every few minutes. Probably depends on how much mail you get too. Wait, is that what IMAP does? I use a Yahoo account over pop I think, yet I still have the as they arrive option.
    Yes, that is the basic of IDLE extension of IMAP. Your client (your email program on the Pre in this case) sent ("pings") a little bit of data every 10 - 30 minutes to your mail server to let the server knows the connection is still alive. The interval depends on your mail server configuration, not your mail client setting. Thunderbird for instance, defaults at 25 minutes. I don't know what the default for Pre. For a quick IMAP overview read this old thread:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...p-vs-pop3.html

    Although Marc speaks about ChatterEmail client on PalmOS, the basic is still there. Also Marc joins for a time at Palm and I suspect most likely laid out the basic design of the Pre mail client. The summary page info, 8 push email account limitation... those are a couple of ChatterEmail features.

    Regarding Yahoo mail,
    Yahoo does have an IMAP server for mobile devices, but it is flaky. Some days it works, some days not. Only iphone is guaranteed access to that IMAP access. WM or PalmOS devices just take their chances.

    Google Gmail Imap IDLE support is better, although it has its own quirky and unusual implementation.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Yes, that is the basic of IDLE extension of IMAP. Your client (your email program on the Pre in this case) sent ("pings") a little bit of data every 10 - 30 minutes to your mail server to let the server knows the connection is still alive.
    So the server can clean up dead connections right, not to check for new mail?

    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    Regarding Yahoo mail,
    Yahoo does have an IMAP server for mobile devices, but it is flaky. Some days it works, some days not. Only iphone is guaranteed access to that IMAP access. WM or PalmOS devices just take their chances.

    Google Gmail Imap IDLE support is better, although it has its own quirky and unusual implementation.
    Interesting. I found a pretty good description of IDLE:

    RFC 2177 - IMAP4 IDLE command

    So you think the pre is using IDLE with my Yahoo account when I have "as they arrive" selected? Haven't seen anything I would call flaky. In fact over the last couple of hours I've had the Yahoo mail client open on my desktop and my phone has been alerting me of new mails before my desktop client sees them. I think the desktop checks every min or so.
  4. UserOne
    UserOne's Avatar
    #44  
    Just my .02... cnet has also confirmed that having wifi on (when you know your in an area that has it available) with the Pre should improve your battery life and has released it as one method to conserve your Pre's battery life in a podcast HERE.

    L8R,
  5. akarol's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    #45  
    What about turning GPS to OFF? I know that my T-Mobile G1 got a drastic boost in battery life when doing so. How about the Pre? I'd like to leave it on as I tend to use it quite often, but will turn it off if it makes that much of a difference.
  6. backslide's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #46  
    Turning GPS off definately helps battery life. Yesterday at work, I couldn't figure out why my battery was dying a lot quicker than the day before. When I got home, I finally looked at my location settings and GPS was on. I had forgotten that I turned GPS on earlier in the day and was messing around with the Nav software. Today, with GPS off, I'm again getting better battery life.

    My question to everyone who uses WiFi is this: Is your phone reverting back to EvDo when you turn the screen off?

    I'm at home and have WiFi turned on. However, when off the charger and the phone locks, it looks like to reverts back to EvDo until you unlock the phone. Once unlocked, it's very obvious that it switches from EvDo to WiFi.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by backslide View Post
    I'm at home and have WiFi turned on. However, when off the charger and the phone locks, it looks like to reverts back to EvDo until you unlock the phone. Once unlocked, it's very obvious that it switches from EvDo to WiFi.
    A post in this thread mentions that when the Pre goes to standby WiFi is turned off. When you bring the Pre out of standby you'll see Ev until it turns WiFi back on.
  8. #48  
    Look at the Palm Pre User Guide PDF, page 39, Maximizing Battery Life.

    Here are a couple of the bullet points:

    *Turn off the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS features when you are not using them.

    *If you set up an email account in the Email application, set the interval to automatically download email to every two hours or less frequently

    *Avoid excessive use of instant messaging.

    *Charge your phone whenever you can
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by backslide View Post
    Turning GPS off definately helps battery life. Yesterday at work, I couldn't figure out why my battery was dying a lot quicker than the day before. When I got home, I finally looked at my location settings and GPS was on. I had forgotten that I turned GPS on earlier in the day and was messing around with the Nav software. Today, with GPS off, I'm again getting better battery life.
    While I was getting better life today than any day but yesterday, I was still depleting a little fast and just checked and found the GPS was on though I hadn't been using it AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Odd$.

    If you use Google Maps, Sprint Nav, etc. which requires the GPS, do the apps turn on the GPS and leave it on or do they toggle it on and off as needed? Unless you're tracking someone (or being tracked), I don't see why anyone would need the GPS turned on 24/7.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    You may want to do a little research before acting like that to someone. Don't make snarky remarks unless you can back them up...
    Yeah, for real. I love when the noobies with 10 posts come in here & act like we all just talk out our arses. Good stuff.
  11. #51  
    My battery life has definitely improved over time. Today the Pre came off the magnetic teet at 7am and I've been fooling around with it most of the day. It's now 6pm and it's at 45%. And that's with Bluetooth and WIFI on (and I can't connect to the network at the office, so that's just a waste) all day long.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Yeah, for real. I love when the noobies with 10 posts come in here & act like we all just talk out our arses. Good stuff.
    ah, you're mistaken quantity for quality. Someone thats been a member for 10 yrs could have 10 yrs worth of posts that coming out of his ***, and someone with 2 posts could very well know what he/she's talking about. Post count means not a damn thing.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    ah, you're mistaken quantity for quality. Someone thats been a member for 10 yrs could have 10 yrs worth of posts that coming out of his ***, and someone with 2 posts could very well know what he/she's talking about. Post count means not a damn thing.
    Good point. Times thanked is a very good indicator if the poster sucks.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 06/18/2009 at 08:16 AM.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by Media Offline View Post
    I can't set my Pre to recieve emails as they come. I get 5min 10min 30min etc. and Manual. How do I do this?
    hotmail does not do as they come... ive been able to do that with my gmail and my exchange work email but not hotmail so it has to do with the email service you are using i think for yahoo and hotmail you needed a paid account for that...

    and pogey i to am form utah. good old salt lake there is a few others floating around form utah one guy's name is elder something and the other has a byu pic by his name haha very intresting
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post

    and pogey i to am form utah. good old salt lake there is a few others floating around form utah one guy's name is elder something and the other has a byu pic by his name haha very intresting
    Orem here
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    hotmail does not do as they come... ive been able to do that with my gmail and my exchange work email but not hotmail so it has to do with the email service you are using i think for yahoo and hotmail you needed a paid account for that...

    and pogey i to am form utah. good old salt lake there is a few others floating around form utah one guy's name is elder something and the other has a byu pic by his name haha very intresting
    Woo hoo - Utah. There are probably more that are out there, just hiding.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Orem here
    Happy Valley---- yay.
  18. ortam's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #58  
    Best changes were signing out of Messaging, and turning off GPS. One question I had was the toggles under location services. What's the difference between Auto Locate and GPS? Is it that Autolocate gives a general idea and GPS is more specific? Can I turn on GPS and Off Autolocate so that GPS is only firing away when I need it, or will it still be killing my battery?
  19. Freshyz's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    #59  
    Just need clarification...
    I have full signal strength in my apartment with Sprint AND WiFi. I thought we should only use WiFi if you can get a better signal than through Sprint towers. Having maximum signal for both which would be suggested to maximize battery life???

    Also, I got rid of my 2 Hotmail accounts from my phone as suggested and set up a Gmail account and have that grab my Hotmail because I did notice serious battery drainage and heat even with 'check manual setting'. However, I set my Gmail to 'manual' and woke up to email alerts.?. I'm not a huge email user and wondered if Gmail is still constantly trying to push email through even if there's nothing to receive??? I even emailed Hotmails support forum about the original issue and have yet to hear back. . .
    Last edited by Freshyz; 06/29/2009 at 02:37 PM.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshyz View Post
    Just need clarification...
    I have full signal strength in my apartment with Sprint AND WiFi. I thought we should only use WiFi if you can get a better signal than through Sprint towers. Having maximum signal for both which would be suggested to maximize battery life???

    Also, I got rid of my 2 Hotmail accounts from my phone as suggested and set up a Gmail account and have that grab my Hotmail because I did notice serious battery drainage and heat even with 'check manual setting'. However, I set my Gmail to 'manual' and woke up to email alerts.?. I'm not a huge email user and wondered if Gmail is still constantly trying to push email through even if there's nothing to receive??? I even emailed Hotmails support forum about the original issue and have yet to hear back. . .
    Gmail only pushes email when it is received by their servers.

    As to the Wifi thing, Wifi is better at home. EVD0 is better when you do not have a steady Wifi close by.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions