Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    I wish I had a seeminly limitless amount of funny pictures that perfectly fit in with the forum so that I didn't have to actually type. Kudos.
    images.google.com my friend!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    Do you guys mean just have it on but not used while you use your standard EVDO or are you saying using it on a Wi-Fi connection INSTEAD of EVDO?
    Both My EVDO and WiFi are on. I'll bet the phone diverts many of the data intensive services like email, web, etc. to the WiFi when it IS available. Sending the data a few miles to the EVDO tower is power consuming...

Flip them both on when in range. I don't know if you'd get texts or phone calls with only WiFi on (ie. if you put it on AirPlane mode).
    But I can see why in theory it should be better. At very least, the much faster data rate should shorten data transmissions and lower battery usage. I notice the phone to be wayyyy faster on my wifi network.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    not on the pre! it actually savs battery to keep wi fi on .. believe me i have tested it. it works.
    So have I, and that is absolutely false. Maybe with Airplane mode on, which would be pointless.

Now as far as the push mail goes, I guess it would be true if the email account was push compatible. I know Gmail is, but some webmail accounts aren't. Therefore, your phone is literally maintaining an active communication with the host checking for new mail. This has been repoprted with people using Hotmail and having direct syncing. I'll try with some of my accounts now and see what the battery life turns out like.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Are you on drugs? WiFI consumes a drastic amount of battery life compared to having it off. Finally, having your email pushed to your phone immediately should also consume more, but haven't tested that yet.
    Clarification: use Wi-Fi if you're in a wifi area. Otherwise, turn it off because it'll keep searching for a network. But if you are in a wi-fi range using wi-fi indeed saves battery life. And yes, I have prescriptions.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I gotta get on of these phones... bye bye 8830.
    Hobbies: Guns, Electronic Gadgets, & Sport Bikes.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomascco View Post
    Clarification: use Wi-Fi if you're in a wifi area. Otherwise, turn it off because it'll keep searching for a network. But if you are in a wi-fi range using wi-fi indeed saves battery life. And yes, I have prescriptions.
    Could be the reason why I didn't get improved WiFi. WiFi signal at work is very spotty. I'll try it at the house.

Good idea on the Gmail forwarding for accounts that are POP. I'll set mine up like that.
  8.    #28  
    So have I, and that is absolutely false. Maybe with Airplane mode on, which would be pointless.

Now as far as the push mail goes, I guess it would be true if the email account was push compatible. I know Gmail is, but some webmail accounts aren't. Therefore, your phone is literally maintaining an active communication with the host checking for new mail. This has been repoprted with people using Hotmail and having direct syncing. I'll try with some of my accounts now and see what the battery life turns out like.
    For accounts that are not push compatable, change to Manual. You can then do your own send and receive when you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomascco View Post
    Makes sense...no reason to have it on unless within wifi range. I'm experimenting wiyh it now.
    I also am seeing DRAMATICALLY better battery life with WiFi on, even with just push email enabled and not doing a bunch of other stuff. This is also with great EVDO signal. Can't explain it but I can attest to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    Email - Prefernces & Accounts - Choose account - Sync - Get Email - As Items Arrive
    Oh I see. Apparently this option is only available for IMAP accounts. I'm using POP for most of mine.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Media Offline View Post
    Oh I see. Apparently this option is only available for IMAP accounts. I'm using POP for most of mine.
    Yep, but as stated before, you can have all your POP mail forward to gmail if you want. That way you get all email this way. Or you can change your POP email to manual.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon777 View Post
    I gotta get on of these phones... bye bye 8830.
    I must say, it's about time.
    I am not sure what is going on with my Pre but today I am getting stellar battery life. Usually from 8am to 12pm it'll be down to about 40-50%. So far today it's been on for 9 hours with average usage and it still has 61% free. Perhaps the conditioning is finally starting to kick in. I know the Instinct did the same thing when I had it. I have GPS, Wifi, and BT all turned on with Push Activesync. I just went and bought another touchstone today for my office, now I may have to take it back!
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    Do you guys mean just have it on but not used while you use your standard EVDO or are you saying using it on a Wi-Fi connection INSTEAD of EVDO?
    just keep the wi-fi on at all times.. thats what i do and my battery life has improved drastically
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts

it may be false in your case but for most people it conserves battery... sorry its not working out for u...
    My theory on the mail as they arrive thing is... that setting probably starts a listen host on a port for incoming mail which is much less processor intensive than establishing a connection, transmitting a request, and processing a response every few minutes. Probably depends on how much mail you get too. Wait, is that what IMAP does? I use a Yahoo account over pop I think, yet I still have the as they arrive option.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Are you on drugs? WiFI consumes a drastic amount of battery life compared to having it off. Finally, having your email pushed to your phone immediately should also consume more, but haven't tested that yet.
    Completely disagree. Not only have I read other reports stating the Pre uses WiFi efficiently, I can attest to it myself. When in use and connected it drains less power by lowering the power to the radio. Also, when the phone is in sleep mode, it turns off WiFi automatically, which is really cool.

You just wouldn't want to leave it on when you're playing with your phone for awhile without an active WiFi connection. But actually today I did leave it on all day and didn't really notice much of a difference.
    Last edited by notabun; 06/12/2009 at 10:54 PM.
    To do "As items arrive" you need an account that supports push. This means either exchange or an IMAP account where the IMAP server supports IMAP IDLE, which is an extension to IMAP that isn't universal. Gmail does support IMAP IDLE.

To maximize your battery life if you have push email:
    * If you get email very frequently, set to an interval so emails pushing to the device doesn't drain the battery
    * If you get any remotely reasonable amount of email, set to "As Items Arrive"

Another tip: if you get tons of email, consider setting up filters so that nonessential email goes into a subfolder. That way only essential email will be pushed to your inbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by readams View Post
    To do "As items arrive" you need an account that supports push. This means either exchange or an IMAP account
    I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with ya there Bob.

I have Yahoo mail, which as far as I know doesn't support IMAP, and I have that option.

I have all my other email addresses forwarding to Yahoo so I only have to check one account from the pre. This probably same some juice too.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast