View Poll Results: Does your Pre have Heat or Distortion issues?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • None of the above. No excessive heat even after charging.

19 31.15%
  • Gets very warm after charging, but no color distortion

12 19.67%
  • The distortion seems to fluctuate with the heat

21 34.43%
  • Remains cool but still has color distortion

9 14.75%
  1.    #1  
    I know there have been many posts regarding heat of the unit and/or distortion of the lower portion of the screen, however, I wanted to see if I could put some consensus together.

I went to Sprint today and they have never heard of either one of these issues, which I find hard to believe. I then asked for a wall charger and I could charge my unit for 15 minutes and they could see both issues. They claim to have zero chargers available and would not order me a new phone until I prove my issues (which I will tonight).

However, just curious as to those that have excessive heat after.during charging or color blemishes/distortions on the screen.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I took mine back to the Sprint store and showed them the discoloration and they agreed to replace it for me. They even called me when they got more in stock yesterday so I could come in and get it exchanged. Much better CS from Sprint than I'm used to.
    Did the new one fix the problem?
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I just picked up my pre yesterday and noticed the color distortion right away after using some apps and such. I called and they said i would have to bring the phone in and have it looked at, but of course they did not have anymore in stock atm. Im just afraid that if they give me a new one it will have the same distortions or maybe even worse.
    People, the color issues at the bottom of the screen are due to the diffuser behind the screen. The backlight consists of white LEDs that light a diffuser to make it look uniform. Some Pre's obviously do not diffuse the backlights well enough, it's as simple as that.

It's not really distortion either. It's just a brightness aberration. The image is not distorted, just the brightness in some areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    People, the color issues at the bottom of the screen are due to the diffuser behind the screen. The backlight consists of white LEDs that light a diffuser to make it look uniform. Some Pre's obviously do not diffuse the backlights well enough, it's as simple as that.

It's not really distortion either. It's just a brightness aberration. The image is not distorted, just the brightness in some areas.
    Does that explanation somehow absolve the Pre of having screen issues?
    Global Posts
    408 Global Posts
    It might be something they can fix in a patch. If the hardware is not totally at fault, they my be able to get the software to handle the brightness and color better at the bottom of the Pre's. So many people having dead pixels is a different story.
  8.    #8  
    Is it normal for the diffuser to fluctuate with the heat of the device? When mine is cool, I have zero color fluctuations. When hot, its very obvious?

Are you suggesting this is normal?
  9.    #9  
    Are people with the heat/color fluctuations keeping it for fear of getting an even worse one or dead pixels? Or returning it?
    Quote Originally Posted by kurpaige View Post
    It might be something they can fix in a patch. If the hardware is not totally at fault, they my be able to get the software to handle the brightness and color better at the bottom of the Pre's. So many people having dead pixels is a different story.
    Right....like Apple fixing all the bad screens on the early Touchs??? NOT!!! That was a hardware issue. Is everyone really that trusting that they will wait and wait to see if s/w fixes what might be a hardware issue? LOL! Then you guys will be whining like the ***** on the verizon site who wants everyone to join him in his hatred of Verizon for promising him that the Storm would have updates "any day". *****! He went over the 30 day return period and now he is whining like a school kid. He should have done what anyone with half a brain would do--returned the Storm until (and IF) the software is more to his liking. It isn't very smart to keep an expensive device in the HOPES that updates will rectify all one's concerns, nor should anyone expect TIMELY updates to fix all of the complaints. Why not be more logical and simply return the thing until they iron out any and all concerns?? Then repurchase. I don't know how it works at Sprint, but Verizon allows you to repurchase after 3 days without penalty.
    I don't have any screen problems but the part below the battery (Antenna) gets warm when using a lot of EVDO.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post

I seriously doubt that you've actually seen these problems firsthand. These aren't just at the bottom of the screen and they're definitely heat related. This is not just a problem of non-uniform diffusion.

My first Pre had a yellow blotch at the top left. I exchanged it and now have a Pre that has a blotch at the bottom left and one large one center right that stretches half the screen from middle-top to middle-bottom. They become much more pronounced with use of GPS or other heat-creating functions. While my phone certainly gets warm (but cooler than my old Touch Pro), it isn't even close to having overheating issues like those reported on here.

I don't know how the diffuser would create the type of yellowish blotches I've been seeing.
    I finally saw a blotch today... While watching extensive youtube videos there was a white spot that bled throught he screen right near where the refresh button would be on the browser. I was also charging the device at the time and was real warm in back at the bottom. My warranty date code is 5/11/2009 and got it on day one. Updated to 1.0.2 myself.

I'm not saying I have a bad unit per se, but that, with a little play in the slider, and reading these forums, I'm starting to wonder... Now that iPhone OS 3.0 is out, I am really duing some side by side comparisons... Pre still wins on the UI, Multitasking, and Notifications. but these little hardware issues. Hmmm. Will decide on the 28th day I guess.