1.    #1  
    The Keyboard. Coming from a Treo 600 all the way to the 800w, I absolutely loved the 800w keybaord. i hated my g/f's centro keyboard but this is 10 times better.

The more and more I use it, the more and more I enjoy typing on it.
    I can agree with you...I came from an HTC Touch, where I was so accustomed to not having a physical keyboard, I thought it was going to take forever to get back to using one.

But everyday that I use it, im getting even better with it. BUT Palm needs to get an onboard keyboard out there....its kind of lame to keep switching back and forth in landscape to type a msg.
    I'm loving the keyboard as well, and funny enough it's not bothering me at all that there's no on-screen keyboard. I simply haven't run into a situation where it's mattered. So far, the only time I've switched to landscape is to watch a video and to read Web pages with relatively small type. Of course, that's also the only places where landscape is supported, but still, I've just found myself naturally working in portrait otherwise.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Yeah I've never felt a need for an onscreen keyboard. I almost always have the phone in portrait mode.
    I prefer it much more than my BB Pearl. I could never trust the double letter keypads.
    I like it, too. I had a Treo 680 and while I was pretty accurate on it, I fat-thumb even less on the Pre. It's genius design.
    Palm III - Tungsten E2 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre - Impatiently awaiting a Pre 3!
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    this is my first smart phone so I don't have much to compare it to but I absolutely love the keyboard. I really thought it would be to small for my stubby Irish fingers but to my surprise its been flawless.
    I came from a Centro and absolutely love the PRE's keyboard. I've also used the Ipod Touch and Samsung Blackjack 2 and prefer the tactile feedback of the PRE.

For those who don't like the keyboard, please provide a reference point (what you're comparing it to).
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Love it!
    I'm coming from a centro as well. Really did not like that keyboard (though prefered it over typing text messages on the RAZR I had before the Centro). I assumed that the Pre's keyboard would be the same as the Centro. But it's not! It's just a tiny bit larger but I'm so much more accurate on this than I ever got to be on the Centro.

I guess my only real gripe is that I wish it were just a tad lower down in the slider. There's so much space between the bottom of the keyboard and the bevel of the slider's edge. That top row is just a bit tight being up against the top half of the phone.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Love the keyboard! Coming from a ****ty HTC Mogul, that keyboard was bigger but much less effective. Also those damn keys stuck like a *****!!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Coming from a 700p. I heard the mixed reviews about it, but I was sure I wouldn't have a problem with it because it was being compared to other Palm keyboards. But I have to admit I was very disappointed when I first touched it. The buttons seemed too flat and hard to diferentiate. After a week with it I have definitely come around though. I can rip through emails now, just took a little getting used to.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Coming from a 700p. I heard the mixed reviews about it, but I was sure I wouldn't have a problem with it because it was being compared to other Palm keyboards. But I have to admit I was very disappointed when I first touched it. The buttons seemed too flat and hard to diferentiate. After a week with it I have definitely come around though. I can rip through emails now, just took a little getting used to.
    Thats exactly how i felt The buttons felt too flat for me. But now, I can zip through typing emails and messages. It really is a winner if you give it a chance. I really love the rubber feel.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    someone else on these boards put it perfectly --- when you first start using the Pre's keyboard you are certain that you are mistyping, but then you look at the screen and find that you have no typos (ymmv). I can't say I love the keyboard, but I certainly am much happier than I thought I would be.

I thought the Centro keyboard was too cramped. I made many, many mistakes on that baby.
    I'm coming from a Centro, so I love it.
    I also am surprised how well the ketboard works BUT I am missing curser control. I do make mistakes at times and need to move the curser to the exact spot to correct and that is not very easy to do on the touchscreen. Makes the keyboard much more difficult overall compared to my 755. For example, I just thought of a word I wanted to insert in first sentance. No easy way to get there from here that I have found.

So, keyboard in itself is good but it is hampered by lack of curser control that would make it more functional.
    Having used all forms of keyboards, (iphone,winmo, BB), I can say that the Pre, although I am not sure how, Is by far the most accurate keyboard I have ever used. I never make mistakes? I am still lightning fast with my Curve keyboard but the Pre is EXTREMELY accurate for me and getting faster by the day.
    @midmofan: hold down the orange key and swipe your finger (gently) and it moves the cursor. :-)
    Palm III - Tungsten E2 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre - Impatiently awaiting a Pre 3!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    I also am surprised how well the ketboard works BUT I am missing curser control. I do make mistakes at times and need to move the curser to the exact spot to correct and that is not very easy to do on the touchscreen. Makes the keyboard much more difficult overall compared to my 755. For example, I just thought of a word I wanted to insert in first sentance. No easy way to get there from here that I have found.

So, keyboard in itself is good but it is hampered by lack of curser control that would make it more functional.
    There is cursor control, but it takes a little getting used to. When in a text box you can tap anywhere to move the cursor there, which gets you in the right general location. From there, holding the orange button and dragging your finger on the screen moves the cursor. Fortunately you don't need to have your finger over the cursor for this to work - as long as you move your finger left, the cursor will move left, etc. Not quite as good as a physical d-pad (or the iPhone magnifying glass IMO) but with practice it's a pretty good system.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    @midmofan: hold down the orange key and swipe your finger (gently) and it moves the cursor. :-)
    I hope they come up with some smarter gestures here. Like a long swipe goes back a whole word and a short swipe goes back one letter. The way it is right now is difficult to go to a precise spot quickly. If you mis-typed the first letter it's easier to just delete the word and re-type it.