Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is the screen brightness supposed to change automatically based on the background light, or do we have the change it manually each time?
    I ran the interactive test and saw no change in screen brightness.
    Is this even a feature of this phone? I would assume so, considering how they have it as part of the interactive test.
    I am wondering about this my self, just forgot about it until I saw your post. I thought this thing was supposed to have a ambient light sensor to change the brightness to the best setting giving the amount of light that is in your area? My Pre does not do this, does anyone Else's?
    Did anyone catch the fact that the pre's screen goes black when you touch the top of it to your face or skin while on a call (without a charger attached)
    Yes it has a ambient light sensor.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I have the same issue. I can manually adjust the brightness, but it doesn't seem to automatically brighten outdoors or dim in the dark.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    wondered the same thing, im sure they will add it in an update if it indeed doesnt exist
    mine did the other day, i was so impressed. . i have my brightness set pretty low, when i walked outside in the sun, viola, it lit up to the perfect brightness in about 2 seconds.
    The sensor is not very sensitive, at lest when you have your screen brightness turned up all the way. I can see a difference if I go into the bathroom at night and hold it up to the light and the turn off the light. It will then fade. But I'm not sure how sensitive it is normally though.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Any more information on this? I initially thought the dimming effect after inactivity was the light sensor, but it's not, that's just on a timer.

I've been trying to run the quick test as well and can't get it to change brightness.

Does anyone know how exactly how the brightness adjustment works with the light sensor, or is suppose to? I would like to think it just sets the upper level of how bright it CAN get, but I can't see this in my tests. I would like to crank my brightness all the way down but have it go up if it's a bright sunny day.

I can't get the brightness to do anything when I take my phone into a dark room or turn on the lights. Anyone else know how to test if my light sensor even works?
    Quote Originally Posted by twizardt View Post
    Did anyone catch the fact that the pre's screen goes black when you touch the top of it to your face or skin while on a call (without a charger attached)
    Umm, that's the proximity sensor. This thread is about the ambient light sensor. Completely different.
    I'll bite. How does the proximity sensor work if it doesn't use light?
    prox sensor works by detecting "object" close by. light sensor measures just that.

an example of a prox sensor is on car alrams that even though they are not touched they will beep a warning if someone gets to close. This is not to be confused by alarms that are also equipped with a mic and/or shock sensor that will go off with a loud exhaust rumble
    Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    I'll bite. How does the proximity sensor work if it doesn't use light?
    WikiAnswers - How does a proximity sensor work

Google is your friend.
    i think i can attest to the ambient sensor functioning, and simultaneously thank you all for bringing this feature to my attention as i thought my phone was broken lol. when i was in a movie theater the brightness went down on me and i checked the setting and saw the slider was in the same position. i thought something was wrong with my phone, that it dimmed on its own, not from a timer, as i was actively using it. that's a badass feature.
    I am going to have to assume that my light sensor is broken and return my pre for an exchange then. Unless others are having the same issues testing it.
    I thought mine was not working either. I see that it does work now. Hold it up to a light and then turn the light off. Takes mine about 4 seconds to dim slightly. My touch diamond was much faster and noticeable with it's light sensor. It would also dimm and not be a sudden change like the pre does.
    I'm just not sure its actually dimming because of any sensor. Its more like a timer after so many seconds of not doing anything, anyone else think this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    The sensor is not very sensitive, at lest when you have your screen brightness turned up all the way. I can see a difference if I go into the bathroom at night and hold it up to the light and the turn off the light. It will then fade. But I'm not sure how sensitive it is normally though.
    are u a scientologist?
    I think the sensitivity on the light sensor is too low, and so is the delay. Both easily fixable with a firmware update.
    I tried walking from bright room to a dark closet over and over and the dimmer doesn't do anything. The keyboard is always lit and the screens stay the same brightness the entire time. The only time it dims is when I stop using it, it dims after a minute and keyboard backlight shuts off. Tryin to figure out if this a problem. Everything else about the phone is perfect though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast