Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...is the fact just about all the programs are based on web languages. Because of this, Palm will most likely avoid the issues that Windows Mobile, Nokia and RIM have where certain apps will only work with certain phones.

When Palm ends up having the EOS or whatever other phone comes out, WebOS should be able to just render the app to fit on that device screen....plus, the phones hardware will have a much less impact on which apps can be run since its all off of HTML5 and javascript.

I wonder if this is one of their reasons for going down this route?
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    I wonder if they thought of that?
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    The idea of the Palm WebOS is definitely innovative and interesting. But as a mobile developer I can tell you that I don't think they will ever get enough momentum to really do much. Meaning that there are so many applications for windows mobile and other's such as Java based apps and iPhone apps that they will likely get lost in the crowd. I have seen some of the best ideas never get off the ground. They came to market too late and with only so many developers they will just not get their attention at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbldev View Post
    The idea of the Palm WebOS is definitely innovative and interesting. But as a mobile developer I can tell you that I don't think they will ever get enough momentum to really do much. Meaning that there are so many applications for windows mobile and other's such as Java based apps and iPhone apps that they will likely get lost in the crowd. I have seen some of the best ideas never get off the ground. They came to market too late and with only so many developers they will just not get their attention at this point.
    i love guys like this... too late? mobile apps are so extremely new and still innovating, there are only a handful of useful mobile apps out there, thats not counting the 2 million apps of hitting a penguin with a baseball bat on the iphone.

you know something is still new when a 13 year old kid can still get rich off making an app while he is grounded in his room.

creating programs for a new operating system on a desktop is old, not mobile apps.
    Too early to tell.. If this does take off developers will follow.
    If all they allow are web based style coding then the palm app store will be a failure. If they allow hardware access then they have a great chance of it being a huge hit.

That simply is the bottom line. Lots of developers faithful to the previous Palm platforms have turned their nose at the Pre because of the initial development limitations. Palm better take notice and pull their heads out of their rear ends.
    why are you here?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Palm sold 100K WebOS devices in the first week or so. Apple sold 1M iPhone 3Gs last week along with 40M iPhones and iPod Touch's previously. I think we can assume that most developers will want to follow that. However, some developers will target WebOS where there is less competition and less pricing pressure.
    lets all face it, the iphone is not a functional phone, the email is awful, the phone is awful, the texting is awful. it does the internet good but no better then the pre and it has zero buisness quality. people own the iphone as a status "look at me" symbol.

developers who want to make functional apps that people in the buisness world will use will be on the pre, people who don't want to make apps for kids to show off at the mall, will be on the pre.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    The idea of the Palm WebOS is definitely innovative and interesting. But as a[n Apple fanboy] I can tell you that I don't think they will ever get enough momentum to really do much.
    Troll
    ^ +1 @ Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessX View Post
    Troll
    Why? because he said something negative about Palm? I see nothing trolling about his post. Its funny how some people on here calling someone a fanboy because he/she loves their prodcut and yet are doing the same exact thing when someone post something negative about Palm. Competition is a good thing. I can't imagine when there is only one company left in the world making mobile handsets. Palm isn't the greatest and neither is Apple. The greatest is what ever works for you. So lets all get over this trolling BS because someone didn't drink the Palm coolaid.
    Sometimes the best ideas don't get off the ground, but I think that Palm has a chance if they really let the developer community in quickly. They will be diversifying carriers so that will of course help them. But sadly, sometimes the best product doesn't always win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Why? because he said something negative about Palm? I see nothing trolling about his post. Its funny how some people on here calling someone a fanboy because he/she loves their prodcut and yet are doing the same exact thing when someone post something negative about Palm. Competition is a good thing. I can't imagine when there is only one company left in the world making mobile handsets. Palm isn't the greatest and neither is Apple. The greatest is what ever works for you. So lets all get over this trolling BS because someone didn't drink the Palm coolaid.
    they are a troll b/c right now, the iphone does not do much better then the pre, all these posters do is come in here and say "iphone, its not an iphone hahaha we have cooler commercials"
    - the iphones hardware is better, however not the shape. when i hold my gf's iphone, i feel like i am playing NES or something

if you put the phones side by side there is nothing the iphone can do better. think about it, when the iphone came out it was all the rage b/c of basically 5 features
    - the web - PRE

- youtube videos - PRE; play a youtube video on the pre and the iphone side by side and come back here post iphone, its laughable how much better the pre is

- the horizontal / vertical flipping - PRE; this what sold the iphone, people drooled over it.

- conversational texts - PRE; laughable again how awful and old that **** on the iphone looks now.

- multi touch - PRE;

thats all the features that made the iphone so 'cool' to own, all those features are being done better by the pre or atleast equal, the iphone era is officially over for now. I am sure multitasking will be next for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    lets all face it, the iphone is not a functional phone, the email is awful, the phone is awful, the texting is awful. it does the internet good but no better then the pre and it has zero buisness quality. people own the iphone as a status "look at me" symbol.

developers who want to make functional apps that people in the buisness world will use will be on the pre, people who don't want to make apps for kids to show off at the mall, will be on the pre.
    As an iphone user for 2 years and current Pre owner I can tell you I totally disagree with you iphone comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    they are a troll b/c right now, the iphone does not do much better then the pre, all these posters do is come in here and say "iphone, its not an iphone hahaha we have cooler commercials"
    - the iphones hardware is better, however not the shape. when i hold my gf's iphone, i feel like i am playing NES or something

if you put the phones side by side there is nothing the iphone can do better. think about it, when the iphone came out it was all the rage b/c of basically 5 features
    - the web - PRE

- youtube videos - PRE; play a youtube video on the pre and the iphone side by side and come back here post iphone, its laughable how much better the pre is

- the horizontal / vertical flipping - PRE; this what sold the iphone, people drooled over it.

- conversational texts - PRE; laughable again how awful and old that **** on the iphone looks now.

- multi touch - PRE;

thats all the features that made the iphone so 'cool' to own, all those features are being done better by the pre or atleast equal, the iphone era is officially over for now. I am sure multitasking will be next for them.
    Did you read his post? He doesn't mention the iPhone once!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    As an iphone user for 2 years and current Pre owner I can tell you I totally disagree with you iphone comments.
    i have owned both, after 1 week with the pre the iphone feels like an old brick. i pick it up and do the backswipe and i am like "whooops not the pre; home key, hit app, home key hit app, home key hit app" its archaic
    and if i went to an iphone board i could post actual reasons why this phone is better, i wouldn't just go to the forum and say "pre hahahaha" like the iphone users do. or "we have more apps" its like the phone has been out 2 weeks, you had no apps either at 2 weeks. or "we sold 1 million in 1 weekend" who the eff cares? apple has much bigger pockets to push a product, much bigger following. pre sold all their units shipped on a much worse carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by southflguy View Post
    Sometimes the best ideas don't get off the ground, but I think that Palm has a chance if they really let the developer community in quickly. They will be diversifying carriers so that will of course help them. But sadly, sometimes the best product doesn't always win.
    Innovative or not, the only thing that really gets things off the ground is marketing. e.g. MP3 players existed long before the iPod. Virtual machines existed long before Java (IBM started using them on their System 360 Main frames in the 1960's, Pascal programs originally ran on virtual machines I believe on a PDP-11). Windowing environments existed long before Mac OS (XEROX developed windows environments & the mouse as part of their smalltalk system (which also runs on a virtual machine)).

Marketing will win out over a good idea every time. E.g. Sony's VHS over Beta; and (arguably) BluRay over HD DVD.
    I always find it funny when palm fanbois get all uppity about the iphone and they don't even realize that it is like the pot calling the kettle black.
  20.    #20  
    Hmm not really the direction I wanted this thread to go....but on topic:

People saying developers have turned away are being silly....there seems to be a LOT of interested "professional" developers and hobbiest who are ready to make apps for this thing.

Here is the issue you are hearing about on the iPhone...the App store is a mess. Yes 50k+ apps, but there is no easy way to search for an app and have your app stand out to people. While who knows if Palm will face this same problem eventually, but for now...if you make a solid app for the phone, people will talk about it and suggest it to people. A company like ESPN (who I happen to work for) could get on the Pre's app train now instead of them getting screwed with their app on the iPhone because they couldn't release one until June 1st of this year cause of a previous contract.

Not to bring up iPhone again...but there is a mentality here....there are people who love Apple.....but there is a larger community of people who seem to hate Apple....and those are the ones who are loving Android/WebOS right now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast