Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Innovative or not, the only thing that really gets things off the ground is marketing. e.g. MP3 players existed long before the iPod. Virtual machines existed long before Java (IBM started using them on their System 360 Main frames in the 1960's, Pascal programs originally ran on virtual machines I believe on a PDP-11). Windowing environments existed long before Mac OS (XEROX developed windows environments & the mouse as part of their smalltalk system (which also runs on a virtual machine)).

Marketing will win out over a good idea every time. E.g. Sony's VHS over Beta; and (arguably) BluRay over HD DVD.
    now this i agree with; look at the iphone 3gs, apple has great marketing, REALLY what would anyone buy this for over the 99$ 3g with software upgrade?

video? - its been on phones for years, its fun for a week then you never use it again

16gb? - does anyone ever fill up these devices? i know i never have

a compass? - seriously?

its the same hardware with better marketing.. it just shows to this posters point.

oh and its "faster" its always faster.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I always find it funny when palm fanbois get all uppity about the iphone and they don't even realize that it is like the pot calling the kettle black.
    Your sense of humor is easily pleased i see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I always find it funny when palm fanbois get all uppity about the iphone and they don't even realize that it is like the pot calling the kettle black.
    again; facts, use facts.. what does the iphone do better? don't just use the word fanboy and feel savy.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    now this i agree with; look at the iphone 3gs, apple has great marketing, REALLY what would anyone buy this for over the 99$ 3g with software upgrade?

video? - its been on phones for years, its fun for a week then you never use it again

16gb? - does anyone ever fill up these devices? i know i never have

a compass? - seriously?

its the same hardware with better marketing.. it just shows to this posters point.

oh and its "faster" its always faster.
    With a gf you may....hehe

haha anyway, yes Apple has some amazing marketing. They can make anything seem impressive.

But at the same time, they do build solid devices so that side of it can't be ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    With a gf you may....hehe

haha anyway, yes Apple has some amazing marketing. They can make anything seem impressive.

But at the same time, they do build solid devices so that side of it can't be ignored.

funny enough..lol.. that is really the only time i used my video; with my gf.
    hell look at the notification system on the iphone.. its so god dam archaic, no mms STILL. imagine a phone being shipped these days with no mms, still the iphone does not have it, what? 4 years later?

iphone fanboy: yea it does 3gs and the upgrade has mms

IT DOES NOT. it does not work yet, it says MAYBE end of summer.
    my point exactly: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...nigh-fail.html

see that thread; exactly what i just said.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Why? because he said something negative about Palm? I see nothing trolling about his post. Its funny how some people on here calling someone a fanboy because he/she loves their prodcut and yet are doing the same exact thing when someone post something negative about Palm. Competition is a good thing. I can't imagine when there is only one company left in the world making mobile handsets. Palm isn't the greatest and neither is Apple. The greatest is what ever works for you. So lets all get over this trolling BS because someone didn't drink the Palm coolaid.
    It was his first and only post. He's a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessX View Post
    It was his first and only post. He's a troll.
    no stop, iphone 3gs is better, i mean c'mon it has a compass.
    Currently, something like 10-15% of the cell phone market have smart phones. The expected market is going to be somewhere closer to 50%. Palm doesn't need to steal and other smart phone customers to be a success with web OS. If it is cool and easy to use, like they are trying for, it will be attractive to current "normal" phone users.

Really? How the heck can we draw circle with the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Why? because he said something negative about Palm? I see nothing trolling about his post. Its funny how some people on here calling someone a fanboy because he/she loves their prodcut and yet are doing the same exact thing when someone post something negative about Palm. Competition is a good thing. I can't imagine when there is only one company left in the world making mobile handsets. Palm isn't the greatest and neither is Apple. The greatest is what ever works for you. So lets all get over this trolling BS because someone didn't drink the Palm coolaid.
    No, he revealed himself as a troll because he just joined the forum this month, and (so far) is one contribution is to tell everyone that the Pre's OS has no future.

As was asked, if so, why is here? Obviously, so he can troll for opportunities to post garbage.
    i love guys like this... too late? mobile apps are so extremely new and still innovating, there are only a handful of useful mobile apps out there, thats not counting the 2 million apps of hitting a penguin with a baseball bat on the iphone.
    You can hit a penguin with a bat? Darn, if I knew that I might've gone with the iPhone.

I want my "beat up a penguin" app!!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Just what I need for backpacking. Out in the middle of the thousand lakes wilderness, and what do I pull out to check my direction? the iPhone. NO! I pull out a real compass with a sight. Or my outdoors GPS unit with topography overlay.

Can you think of a more useless feature (besides the baby shaker?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrymm View Post
    Just what I need for backpacking. Out in the middle of the thousand lakes wilderness, and what do I pull out to check my direction? the iPhone. NO! I pull out a real compass with a sight. Or my outdoors GPS unit with topography overlay.

Can you think of a more useless feature (besides the baby shaker?)
    on top of that, it has been listed in reviews as PLUS for the iphone. an effing compass.. the average person never uses a compass in their life let and if they do, they have REAL ONE.
    This is not necessarily the case. Right now, the Pre is the only device that uses WebOS. That will not always be the case, we hope. There will be future devices that either have more hardware features or less hardware features than the Pre, and there will be apps that depend on certain features to be there or else they won't run.

Also, just because the language they used is Javascript, doesn't mean that every command will be supported on every platform. Javascript is a programming language, it does not define the feature set of the platform it's running on. It also doesn't define the set of built-in objects that are available on the platform. In other words, let's say some new WebOS phone comes with a compass. The SDK would likely be modified to expose a built-in object called "compass" (where you might say something like compass.getCurrentBearing()), and they might also support some kind of feature discovery routine, like environment.supports("compass"). Just because it's the same language, it doesn't mean that it will always be the same platform you're programming against.

What it will mean, I hope, is that if there is some hardware feature you want access to as a programmer, you will be able to access it the same way no matter which device you're developing for, and you will be able to see if that hardware feature exists the same way on each phone.
    It makes sense for devs to write for the largest install base platform, whether it be phones, game consoles or computers; that's why the iPhone, Xbox 360 (the Wii isn't a real console) and the PC have the lion's share of apps. If a dev can only choose one platform to develop for, to NOT choose the iPhone is madness. It'd be like a game dev passing on making games for the PS2 five years ago.

As for devs passing on the Pre, don't you realize that for go-getter newbie devs, the veterans sitting on the sidelines provides a great opportunity to leap in and make an impact on the ground floor. Any decent apps coming out early for the app-starved Pre user base will stack significant chedda for those who seize the initiative. Trying to come up with a standout app for the iPhone these days is extremely difficult with all the competition; the exact opposite is the case for the Pre. Devs who can't see the benefits of a fresh playing field deserve to be lost in the Apple App Store shuffle.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    on top of that, it has been listed in reviews as PLUS for the iphone. an effing compass.. the average person never uses a compass in their life let and if they do, they have REAL ONE.
    My point exactly.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbldev View Post
    The idea of the Palm WebOS is definitely innovative and interesting. But as a mobile developer I can tell you that I don't think they will ever get enough momentum to really do much. Meaning that there are so many applications for windows mobile and other's such as Java based apps and iPhone apps that they will likely get lost in the crowd. I have seen some of the best ideas never get off the ground. They came to market too late and with only so many developers they will just not get their attention at this point.
    Pandora said it took WEEKS to develop an app for the iPhone and HOURS to develop/adapt the app for the Pre.

Sounds like failure waiting to happen.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    I don't see what the big thing is here. The guy thinks that WebOS came into the game to late. Maybe he is right. The new iPhone is much faster and developers are already developing for it, while Palm still waits to get the SDK out. As much as I want the Pre to succeed, I think I am going to return mine pretty soon, stick with my SERO plan and 700p, and see how 3GS vs Pre unfolds. I don't want a phone with no developers supporting it in a year. Not to mention it may be a pain to download apps that aren't free since it doesn't go through the app store.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Marketing will win out over a good idea every time. E.g. Sony's VHS over Beta; and (arguably) BluRay over HD DVD.
    Sorry, but it was economics - more specifically cold, hard cash - that were the determining factors, not marketing.

1. Sony's Beta format lost to VHS because Sony greedily wanted to be the only source for Betamax decks while VHS (developed by JVC) was an open standard which meant many manufacturers were able to make decks without the licensing costs Beta required. This is the same reason Apple snatched total defeat from the jaws of victory: they wanted to make the cash for the hardware AND software and the more economical PC standard exploded leaving Apple a status gizmo maker, not a computer company.

B. Sony purchased "victory" for Blu-ray over HD DVD by bribing and BS-ing studios and retailers to exclusively producing content for their format by promulgating the myth that DVD succeeded because of the PlayStation 2 and that with 120 million PS2s sold, it was a foregone conclusion that the BD-laden PS3 would provide an instant broad user base. The reality is that they've lost somewhere near $5 billion on the PS3, are in third place in gaming, and they're about to get squeezed by downloads and the fact that you don't need to spend $40 for a BD of "Baby Mama" when the economy is being destroyed by an out-of-control President and Congress.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12