Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I have businesses in my contacts, the universal search will only search the first word. ie, the business contact is "Dallas Best Western" and if I search for "Best Western" it will not show the contact.

Anyone else notice this? Any other option?

I have organized them by city because I travel ALOT.

Thanks.
    Devices Owned:
    Handspring 600 (retired), Treo 650 x2 (retired), Centro x2 (offline usage), Palm Pre x2, HTC EVO

Apps I can't live without on my Pre:
    Dr. Podder, Music (Remix) and JogStats
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    My Palm 755p does the same thing. I always found that to be incredibly annoying.
    I feel for you, but is it that hard to type Dallas instead of best western when you know you need the Dallas Best Western number?
    Is that accurate?

In PalmOS, the recognition was always on the first word, but the search app finds it no matter which field, or where in field. Just tested true on my centro. I even disabled my improved universal search (Beiks Find) and it still worked. Tested on my 650 too.

So, I can't speak to the Pre at all, and not the the 755p specifically, but my centro and 650 do it just right. Sure about teh 755?
    PalmPilot > Pilot Pro > PalmIII > PalmV > m500 > m505 > KyoceraPalmPhone > Treo650 > Centro > ?pre?
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    It was just a generic example to illustrate the problem with the search.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    It will search multiple fields, but only the first word of the company field.
    Open contacts

goto preferences from the drop down box top left.

Select company & first name or whatever you want it to search first.

close. Done.

stop whining.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    Open contacts

goto preferences from the drop down box top left.

Select company & first name or whatever you want it to search first.

close. Done.

stop whining.
    I'm sorry, but read and maybe you will understand the problem.
    So if you're in Dallas for business or whatever, why wouldnt you type in dallas? Then everything dallas should pop up. Assuming you know your in Dallas.
    I sort of think with Google Maps onboard that storing contacts for businesses like that isn't as necessary anymore.

That being said, why not just store it on your phone as "Best Western (Dallas)" instead if you want to search that way?
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I agree. I have my Vets numbers in my phone, "A Plus Animal Hospital". In the contacts app and Universal Search, it looks fine, but in the phone dialer says "A Hospital". I find it annoying, but not terrible. The Universal Search is able to find it just fine, and I've found myself rarely going into the phone dialer app, because the lookup within that app is not as good as other methods of calling known contacts.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I think the OP is just saying that it's a hassle, which I would agree with. If it's a true universal search, it should pick any word, in any place, but it isn't.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Actually, for me it does work just fine. In my above example, I am able to type Plus, Animal or Hospital to get the contact to come up, in either universal search, through the phone dialer app or in the contacts app.
    Searching contacts is useless. Add a title, like RN, to a name and search will no longer find the last name.Why can't a universal search search of every occurrence of a pattern. What does word position matter in a UNIVERSAL seach. This problems negates all other bells and whistles on a cellular telephone. Most other phones search as expected but not the Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcusack001 View Post
    Searching contacts is useless. Add a title, like RN, to a name and search will no longer find the last name.Why can't a universal search search of every occurrence of a pattern. What does word position matter in a UNIVERSAL seach. This problems negates all other bells and whistles on a cellular telephone. Most other phones search as expected but not the Palm Pre.
    Try going into Contacts, opening up whoever you have this issue with, go to edit. Then, from the menu in the top left corner go to name details. I'd bet money that it has their last name as their middle name, and RN as their last name, and you can easily fix that issue from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcusack001 View Post
    It wasn't enough to resurrect one old thread to make this point, you had to resurrect a second one?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2004131
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    After being able to search my contacts with any character pattern that comes to mind these restrictions allowed in Contacts=> Preferences is not acceptable. All my contacts transfered from my previous Samsung phone just fine. Now I need a user friendly way to search my contacts.
    PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME HOW TO DO MY SEARCHES!