Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    Anyone know if someone has found a way yet
    I have been plowing through the various Pre forums around the web until my eyes bleed.
    I am now back on my Blackberry until this tethering thing gets sorted.
    (I am away weekends where there is no net access, so tethering is a must...)
    Last edited by ronnienyc; 06/11/2009 at 10:22 AM.
  2. #2  
    Not yet. I'm the same as you. It's a must for me. I haven't bought it yet because of this.
  3. #3  
    Originally Posted by Mobile Stream
    If anyone wants to try tweaked TelephonyInterfaceLayerCdma which hopefully disables the SetTetherdMode call, read the disclaimer and prereqisities below and PM or e-mail for the file.

    Disclaimer: we at Mobile Stream are not responsible for any damage this modified binary file may cause to your phone or data.

    Prerequisities:
    1) Data plan (regular, not PAM plan).
    2) Ability to enable the developer mode, re-mount the root file system as read-write, install the file, restart the phone and ensure that the actual modifed binary is running (i.e. it does not get overwritten).
    3) Ability to setup the PAN connection and verify if it works.
  4. #4  
    In the big, long hacking thread it was discussed that if you have a rooted Pre, you could potentially turn on IP Masquerading, set up an ad-hoc wireless network, and you'd be set. I'm not sure if anyone tried it (I didn't), but it's theoretically doable since it's all just Linux. I realize that this probably doesn't constitute actual tethering, but if it works, you've got something.

    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but why is tethering a deal breaker for you? I don't ask to be inflamatory or start a flame war, I just don't have a need for it, so I don't understand. Sure, I've wanted to do it in the airport once or twice from my laptop, but that was with significantly less advanced phones, so there was no solid browser, email, etc.
  5.    #5  
    eddieroger, like I said above, I spend weekends in a summer house where there is no net access. Thus tethering is a must. (I am tethered through my BB right now.) For example, I update my web site, blog, etc. on weekends. Does not work on the phone's browser. And anyway the phone's screen is too small for this type of work. Not to mention the tiny keyboard...

    It's funny how difficult this is, when with the Instinct - Sprint did not "support" tethering either, but it only took about 30 seconds to enable it, and it worked like a charm...

    Same with the BB Curve - easy, free tethering with a regular data plan.
    Last edited by ronnienyc; 06/11/2009 at 11:00 AM.
  6. #6  
    The trouble is that WebOS is a new platform that we have not experienced yet, so it's just a matter of finding it.

    It's like walking into a dark room in an office building. You know the light switch is there, it's just a matter of finding it.
  7. #7  
    The fact that the method of doing it is coming out shortly after release tells me it won't be too long until someone puts out (at least a beta version) an app that does all the settings for you.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieroger View Post
    In the big, long hacking thread it was discussed that if you have a rooted Pre, you could potentially turn on IP Masquerading, set up an ad-hoc wireless network, and you'd be set. I'm not sure if anyone tried it (I didn't), but it's theoretically doable since it's all just Linux. I realize that this probably doesn't constitute actual tethering, but if it works, you've got something.

    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but why is tethering a deal breaker for you? I don't ask to be inflamatory or start a flame war, I just don't have a need for it, so I don't understand. Sure, I've wanted to do it in the airport once or twice from my laptop, but that was with significantly less advanced phones, so there was no solid browser, email, etc.
    I am able to bring my laptop to work and play on the internet all day long as long as I don't jack into the corp. network. Therefore I tether with my instinct all day long everyday. As I said its a must or I would be very bored at work. lol
  9. #9  
    Another possible according to Atlanta and courtesy of Irix

    Changing the nat table so that all connections go back out through evdo.

    Code:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

    If anyone can confirm and provide step by step instructions for the rest of us
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieroger View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but why is tethering a deal breaker for you? I don't ask to be inflamatory or start a flame war, I just don't have a need for it, so I don't understand.
    It is a deal breaker for me since I commute via train approx 2.5 hours a day total and I answer work email, do stuff on work VPN protected web-sites and run specific work internet apps all from my laptop currently tethered to my Instinct.
  11. Irix's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Another possible according to Atlanta and courtesy of Irix

    Changing the nat table so that all connections go back out through evdo.

    Code:
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE

    If anyone can confirm and provide step by step instructions for the rest of us
    What this does is enable a NAT translation outbound on the PPP interface. Along with enabling routing. Certainly no 1:1 tether, but it's no different than sitting behind your router at home.

    One major issue I have ran into is I can't get a ADHOC wifi connection to work. If we could get that working we could tether via ADHOC WiFi and use the commands above to make tethering work.

    Has anyone had any luck figuring out why ADHOC doesn't work? I've read some of the WiFi app code and see references to AdHoc. I need some time to debug this; I'm still low on the learning curve for MoJo API.

    I have however setup the Pre on a wifi router (AP). Then set the WiFi AP default gateway to the Pre's WiFi IP and it works fine with the above commands.

    But carrying around a wifi AP isnt' exactly practical to do tethering. And shouldn't be necessary. But it does work.

    Someone with experience in the MoJo API should be able to fix the WiFi app to allow AdHoc connections. Please PM me if you have any info on ADHOC connections; or reply here.

    I should add:

    Doing a "iwlist scanning" I can indeed see the AdHoc network I'm trying to connect too. And dmesg; /var/log/messages shows little to no useful information when trying to connect via the Wifi manager.

    Wish I had some info on the Wifi portion of the API.
    Last edited by Irix; 06/11/2009 at 11:20 AM.
  12. #12  
    What do you think about this Irix? Courtesy of Mobile Stream

    If anyone wants to try tweaked TelephonyInterfaceLayerCdma which hopefully disables the SetTetherdMode call, read the disclaimer and prereqisities below and PM or e-mail for the file.

    Disclaimer: we at Mobile Stream are not responsible for any damage this modified binary file may cause to your phone or data.

    Prerequisities:
    1) Data plan (regular, not PAM plan).
    2) Ability to enable the developer mode, re-mount the root file system as read-write, install the file, restart the phone and ensure that the actual modifed binary is running (i.e. it does not get overwritten).
    3) Ability to setup the PAN connection and verify if it works.
  13. Irix's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    What do you think about this Irix? Courtesy of Mobile Stream

    If anyone wants to try tweaked TelephonyInterfaceLayerCdma which hopefully disables the SetTetherdMode call, read the disclaimer and prereqisities below and PM or e-mail for the file.

    Disclaimer: we at Mobile Stream are not responsible for any damage this modified binary file may cause to your phone or data.

    Prerequisities:
    1) Data plan (regular, not PAM plan).
    2) Ability to enable the developer mode, re-mount the root file system as read-write, install the file, restart the phone and ensure that the actual modifed binary is running (i.e. it does not get overwritten).
    3) Ability to setup the PAN connection and verify if it works.
    That should be doable; I assume they disassembled the app and tweaked it to not use the modem realm when tethered. This would get the bluetooth PAM people going. As well any other users that managed to they the USB->Serial going.

    Where is this binary available?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Irix View Post
    That should be doable; I assume they disassembled the app and tweaked it to not use the modem realm when tethered. This would get the bluetooth PAM people going. As well any other users that managed to they the USB->Serial going.

    Where is this binary available?
    PM Mobile Stream or email him.
  15. Irix's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #15  
    I'm taking a look at the binary myself now.... (unmodified binary)
  16. #16  
    Any headway on this Irix?
  17. bugking's Avatar
    Posts
    46 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #17  
    I would like to see Pre/WebOS able to become a Wi-Fi AP itself (Wifi-->Pre-->Cellular), something like WMWifiRouter would be great.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bugking View Post
    I would like to see Pre/WebOS able to become a Wi-Fi AP itself (Wifi-->Pre-->Cellular), something like WMWifiRouter would be great.
    That would be nice but useless if we can't get it to tether.
  19. Irix's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bugking View Post
    I would like to see Pre/WebOS able to become a Wi-Fi AP itself (Wifi-->Pre-->Cellular), something like WMWifiRouter would be great.
    That's what I was discussing... Everything is in place but AdHoc WiFi mode isn't working at the moment. Can't make the Computer -> Pre connection without it.

    I'm sure it'll be working soon though...
  20. Irix's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Any headway on this Irix?
    I'm working now, so time is tight. But I did trace down a few routines that might be easy to patch. Need to look at it in depth later.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions