Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    "...it lacks features found even on the most basic phones." NY Times

"...variable call quality and lacks some basic features found in many cell phones...some important missing features, a slow data network, and call quality that doesn't always deliver..." Cnet

"Poor business e-mail and PIM connectivity. Bad audio quality on phone calls. Tons of "buzz" on nearby speakers." PC Mag

"But it's just a plain lousy phone, and although it makes some exciting advances in handheld Web browsing, it's not the Internet in your pocket.... Call quality was the worst we've heard on a high-end device in years... Reception leaves something to be desired. It's complicated to dial, difficult to send text messages on and missing all sorts of features that are basically assumed to be in most high-end multimedia phones nowadays." Fox News

Just some quotes for everyone to remember. Oh wait, this isn't ilovemyiphone.com? Shoot, all those quotes were about the iphone... oh well, food for thought.
    hahaha.

To be honest, you COULD apply some of those to the Pre (sans the call quality issue)
    5 star rank.. Good stuff
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Thank you for posting this.
  5. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    "...it lacks features found even on the most basic phones." NY Times

"...variable call quality and lacks some basic features found in many cell phones...some important missing features, a slow data network, and call quality that doesn't always deliver..." Cnet

"Poor business e-mail and PIM connectivity. Bad audio quality on phone calls. Tons of "buzz" on nearby speakers." PC Mag

"But it's just a plain lousy phone, and although it makes some exciting advances in handheld Web browsing, it's not the Internet in your pocket.... Call quality was the worst we've heard on a high-end device in years... Reception leaves something to be desired. It's complicated to dial, difficult to send text messages on and missing all sorts of features that are basically assumed to be in most high-end multimedia phones nowadays." Fox News

Just some quotes for everyone to remember. Oh wait, this isn't ilovemyiphone.com? Shoot, all those quotes were about the iphone... oh well, food for thought.
    Good find!... The Pre is an excellent device for a 1.0 version. Sure its missing some features but I'm sure Palm won't let us down with a lack of OS updates (especially with Rubenstein running the show!).
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    HAHA nice. Just comes with being one of the first to have it..its worth it.
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    My wife says the call quality on the Pre is considerably better than it was on the 755P. Some of the basic features are missing. Data speeds are great. Actual data speeds on the Sprint Network are better than theoretical disadvantage it has vs. 3G.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    My wife says the call quality on the Pre is considerably better than it was on the 755P. Some of the basic features are missing. Data speeds are great. Actual data speeds on the Sprint Network are better than theoretical disadvantage it has vs. 3G.
    What, do you work for sprint? palm? trying to hype up the device and network? please, this forum is for Pre / Sprint bashing only. I don't want to hear the positive side, call me fox news or nancy grace or whoever, but please keep it negative next time or people might actually go buy one. And then what? apple might have to make their product better and ATT might have to lower their prices! How would those big execs feed their families then? Trying to put steve jobs on the street are we?

Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    What, do you work for sprint? palm? trying to hype up the device and network? please, this forum is for Pre / Sprint bashing only. I don't want to hear the positive side, call me fox news or nancy grace or whoever, but please keep it negative next time or people might actually go buy one. And then what? apple might have to make their product better and ATT might have to lower their prices! How would those big execs feed their families then? Trying to put steve jobs on the street are we?

That will never happen. Why? att is having no problem getting customers because they don't have cheap asses.. but they DO have people willing to pay the cost of what it takes. Which is more than what I can say for a lot of other people.
    What have your friends been saying about the sound quality, by the way? (I have forgotten to ask my friends...)
    If the Pre was released two years ago this might mean something.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Exactly. I'm not sure what this proves. Maybe that Palm didnt learn anything from past mistakes of its competitors?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Ummmm. Call quality is significantly better than my iphone.

I dont have to keep on saying "what? i didnt get that last part... damn this phone"
    [oops - these were pans of the iPhone--lol! Perhaps I should have read the links first, LOL!]

[in any case, I should have known by the quote about the 'buzz on nearby speakers' that this wasn't a Sprint phone!]
    Last edited by HandyDJs.com; 06/11/2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Thought the article references were talking about the Pre, not the iPhone!

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Exactly. I'm not sure what this proves. Maybe that Palm didnt learn anything from past mistakes of its competitors?
    You guys are missing the point. The point is that even the current industry leader, paragon of all that is cool, and one and only JesusPhone - the iPhone - was both flawed and nitpicked upon its launch. And interestingly enough, the iPhone 3G - a whopping two years later - is STILL plagued by some of these comments such as "lacks features found even on the most basic phones."

Palm has had the Pre on the market for less than a week. So it's waaaay too early to say that they didn't learn from past mistakes or anything of that nature.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Thanks OP!
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    I completely agree. Both outbound and inbound voice is superior to my 755P and I have no problem with data speeds. The only issue I have is one where a 3rd party (AOL) shows that there are still unread messages in the mailbox (there aren't) and apparently we have no way to clear that symbol. My thread on it is here

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...t-account.html

bj
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You guys are missing the point. The point is that even the current industry leader, paragon of all that is cool, and one and only JesusPhone - the iPhone - was both flawed and nitpicked upon its launch. And interestingly enough, the iPhone 3G - a whopping two years later - is STILL plagued by some of these comments such as "lacks features found even on the most basic phones."

Palm has had the Pre on the market for less than a week. So it's waaaay too early to say that they didn't learn from past mistakes or anything of that nature.
    Trust me, I get the point. All I am saying is that Palm is competing with phones on the market today, not phones from two years ago. Not to mention that Apple in 2007 was an industry leader and a first time smart phone maker. Palm is neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You guys are missing the point.
    They didn't miss the point, they ignored it.
    Trust me, I get the point. All I am saying is that Palm is competing with phones on the market today, not phones from two years ago. Not to mention that Apple in 2007 was an industry leader and a first time smart phone maker. Palm is neither.
    This isn't a compare/contrast of the Pre vs. iPhone...it's a compare/contrast of the public reaction to each device in order to give people here some perspective.