1.    #1  
    [NOTE: FURTHER FINDINGS SUGGEST THIS IS PROBABLY NOT A PRE ISSUE - BUT A WIFI ROUTER ISSUE -- SEE MY REPLY BELOW]

This is probably only a big deal if the WiFi router your Pre connects to is on a subnet that has another client with IP address 10.1.1.10 in the domain...

For some reason, while the Pre is connected to a WiFi router, a ping by other clients on the network/subnet 10.1.1.x can suddenly ping 10.1.1.10, regardless of the DHCP address assigned to the Pre (as long as the IP address assigned to the Pre would have the proper subnetting for this to occur)...

An example:

Suppose one's LAN is set up as a class B-style subnet of 10.1.x.y with a subnet mask 255.255.0.0. (10.1.x.y is commonly used by many businesses for their intranets)

Suppose that the DHCP server is configured to hand out addresses in the 10.1.4.y subnet.

Suppose that Palm Pre connects to the LAN via a WiFi router, and gets assigned an IP address of 10.1.4.100/255.255.0.0. (this can be verified by your DHCP server logs and also by going into the Pre's WiFi settings and tapping on the connected network to bring up the stats).

Suppose you go to any client on the LAN and then ping 10.1.1.10. You will get a response (with varying ms delays) while the Pre is connected to the LAN!

Now, Suppose your LAN already has a client with a 10.1.1.10 IP address! This would cause in IP address conflict on your LAN.

I have run into this ip address conflict problem and have filed a case with Palm.

The only reference I have found to a 10.1.1.10 IP address and the Pre is here...could the Bluetooth programming in the Palm be interfering somehow? Hmmm.
    Last edited by HandyDJs.com; 06/11/2009 at 02:41 PM.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  2.    #2  
    Hmmm. I think I might have traced this problem to a troublesome wifi router running a certain version of DD-WRT in Bridged Repeater mode... So this may just be a local issue (read: my problem!)

More to come....

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!