Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    Just saw this on the Buzz About Wireless site:

http://navigation.sprint.com/media/s...1_palm-pre.pdf
    thanks so much for posting this...ive been trying to figure out how to view the route summary and it's been driving me crazy!!!
    One thing to remember is that this is part of telenav which is an awesome service. I've been using it for years but paying 10 dollars a month, glad to know it's part of my plan now. One of the most useful features is the fact that you can enter your destination via a computer and it will appear on your phone when you syn My Favorites. This is a great, quick and useful feature! Go to their website telenav.com
    I don't have a Pre yet so I can't try this out myself. Can you multitask and use other apps while Sprint Navigation is open or do you have to close it first? Can you still receive text messages or emails and does a notification show up while the turn-by-turn directions are still going?
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    I don't have a Pre yet so I can't try this out myself. Can you multitask and use other apps while Sprint Navigation is open or do you have to close it first? Can you still receive text messages or emails and does a notification show up while the turn-by-turn directions are still going?
    All of this is possible, although it can be sluggish with everything running at the same time.
    Last night, when I was trying to finish off the last 20% of my battery to get a good, full recharge, I had navigator, Pandora, IM, an a couple web browsers open. I will give it a better functionality test tomorrow when I'll be using it with Pandora/Music player for a trip to the cabin.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    All of this is possible, although it can be sluggish with everything running at the same time.
    That's great! I wouldn't mind it being slow as long as I can still get notifications. I just want to be able to text a reply saying I'm driving. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by j2lawson View Post
    Last night, when I was trying to finish off the last 20% of my battery to get a good, full recharge, I had navigator, Pandora, IM, an a couple web browsers open. I will give it a better functionality test tomorrow when I'll be using it with Pandora/Music player for a trip to the cabin.
    Yeah I actually just searched and found someone who talked about using music and navigation at the same time and said it worked great. I would love to play both through my car speakers at the same time. Does it mute, lower, or pause the music when the Sprint Navigation speaks?
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/11/2009 at 09:26 AM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

gas by price is a great feature and has been pretty reliable and current.
    Sprint Navigation lacks basic important features that even cheap standalone GPS models have.

1. You can't set it to ignore U-turns.
    2. It doesn't re-route correctly by taking a better route. It normally asks you to make a U-turn.
    3. No way to exclude certain streets, toll roads, etc.

My experience with Sprint Navigation has been poor. I've compared standalone GPS units such as a Garmin Nuvi 350, Navigon 2100, and Tom Tom 730 to the Sprint Navigation and Sprint has failed on all of the tests. I've literally been in front of the my destination and have the Sprint Navigation tell me it couldn't find it (even though it gave me directions to get there.)
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Sprint Navigation lacks basic important features that even cheap standalone GPS models have.

2. It doesn't re-route correctly by taking a better route. It normally asks you to make a U-turn.

My experience with Sprint Navigation has been poor. I've compared standalone GPS units such as a Garmin Nuvi 350, Navigon 2100, and Tom Tom 730 to the Sprint Navigation and Sprint has failed on all of the tests. I've literally been in front of the my destination and have the Sprint Navigation tell me it couldn't find it (even though it gave me directions to get there.)
    i agree; the built in gps in my jeep is better than telenav on my instinct (my pre should be here today). it is a phone, however. my tv is better at playing video than my phone is, too, but...you know...
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper1010 View Post
    gas by price is a great feature and has been pretty reliable and current.
    Wrong app...thats the Where app. But yes that is nice, haven't checked it for accuracy yet.

Also I've used the Nav a couple of times to test it and it has worked very nicely so far.
    Yeah I actually just searched and found someone who talked about using music and navigation at the same time and said it worked great. I would love to play both through my car speakers at the same time. Does it mute, lower, or pause the music when the Sprint Navigation speaks?
    I was running both Pandora and Sprint Navigation while driving on Monday afternoon, with the Pre connected to my stereo via a cassette adapter. When a direction is spoken, the music fades (lower) so that you can hear the instruction.

I would suggest playing music on your Pre and then have someone send you a text message. You can get a sense of how much the music fades when the text notification is played.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    Wrong app...thats the Where app. But yes that is nice, haven't checked it for accuracy yet.
    nope; it's in there.

I used to have Telenav on my Treo 755p and have to agree that it wouldn't fully replace a standalone unit. But if you happen to not have a standalone (like myself) or get into a friend's car and they don't have one, it works pretty well over 90% of the time. I never really had the re-routing U-turn problem. I can see it telling you to do that if you're going in the totally opposite direction. It's shorter than going around the block. I definitely would like a skip tolls option though. At least traffic is included. Isn't it a subscription or add-on for Garmin, TomTom, and others?
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/11/2009 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmOD View Post
    I was running both Pandora and Sprint Navigation while driving on Monday afternoon, with the Pre connected to my stereo via a cassette adapter. When a direction is spoken, the music fades (lower) so that you can hear the instruction.
    no issues with volume through headphones/aux jack/cassette adapter when using pandora? i know it's a bug with the instinct (volume through aux jack/headphones is severely muted).
    no issues with volume through headphones/aux jack/cassette adapter when using pandora? i know it's a bug with the instinct (volume through aux jack/headphones is severely muted).
    I'm actually listening to Pandora right now through the cheap iPod earbuds. Not as loud as the iPod, but it loud enough to disturb everyone in the room.

I turn the volume pretty high while using the Pre in the car, and I use the stereo to amplify the sound. I personally think that it can get loud.
    i agree; the built in gps in my jeep is better than telenav on my instinct (my pre should be here today). it is a phone, however. my tv is better at playing video than my phone is, too, but...you know...
    However, there are GPS phone applications for Windows Mobile that include all of these features and work better than Sprint navigation. Namely TomTom that owns Teleatlas.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Yes you can. I was using it yesterday while having my music playing and receiving emails and text/google talk messages.

When the nav tells you to turn right, left or speaks, it will lower the volume of the music or whatever other volume you have going on (I am not sure if this works with pandora, but definitely with the music player that comes with the phone). If a notification comes in, and you have sound turn on it, will make the ding sound and reduce the volume of the other apps. The notification will sit under the card, like you have seen in demoes and such. Very unobtrusive. A second later, the notification disappears and the nav window expands again.

I have it plugged through my aux. port of my car, and the sound outputs to the speakers. And while on a phone call, I switch it to speaker phone and the audio of the other person goes through the speaker to, and they can hear you as you talk to them... like bluetooth, but with a wire. Just another alternative. And on the screen, from the lock menu, as a notification says, tap to enter navigation... it's still running, but if you tap it, it will make the nav's screen full.

When you click on the notification and reply to a text, etc, everything is still going and you reply to the chat, text, or email. There's a slight slow down in the cards transition, but that is to be expected.. and it's not a long a pause, about a second or two, which I am used to coming from the winmo phones and been working with computers for so long. It's like running photoshop, illustrator, music or video playing on your desktop/laptop and then you trying to open word or outlook and you get that slight pause.

And when the screen turns off, it's all still running.

Overall it's GRRREEEAT! It's useful and although I can always complain and want more, as it's in our nature to do so, but for a frist gen, version 1, 4 days now, and I"m lov'n it. I couldn't do this with my old phones and now I can.

Ax
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts

Considering it's a free (included) app on a cell phone, it does just fine. Of course dedicated units are and always will be better.

I've never seen a phone GPS compare to Garmin...but Sprint Navigation is better than some of the poorer GPS's I've used.

TomTom has messed me up on several occasions. Garmin is the leader. Magellan is 2nd. TomTom is a distant 3rd and every other GPS I've tried is a wayyyyyy distant 4th...including Sprint Navigation.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast