Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    I have no problems with you telling people there are negatives. There are pros and cons to nearly everything. But as I stated before, it's worked nearly perfect with me and as you can see for others as well. I never had the "make a crazy U-turn where I might get into a crash" happen to me. Even if it did, that's when common sense comes into play.
    I understand what you are saying. Owning several GPS devices, I stress tested this one, so our experiences are different. I find if you're doing city driving and don't follow the SN's direction, it gets stuck in "U-turn" mode forcing you back to the original navigation directions. For me, it rarely does a proper re-route and doesn't choose a new route based on a different navigation path. Disabling U-turns would force this to happen.

I posted this on another thread but mine won't even pick up the satellite -- outdoors.
    It worked great at first, even indoors, it had my exact location, but now, in my car, outdoors, it won't work.
    Anyone else have these issues.
    Does the GPS feature work for other apps, such as Google Maps, Where?, or Mobile by Citysearch?
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    I understand what you are saying. Owning several GPS devices, I stress tested this one, so our experiences are different. I find if you're doing city driving and don't follow the SN's direction, it gets stuck in "U-turn" mode forcing you back to the original navigation directions. For me, it rarely does a proper re-route and doesn't choose a new route based on a different navigation path. Disabling U-turns would force this to happen.

Does the GPS feature work for other apps, such as Google Maps, Where?, or Mobile by Citysearch?
    Kind of, google maps has me about a mile from where I actually am.
    The Sprint Nav has me in the same place also.
    You may want to toggle the GPS option on and off. You also may want to try restarting the phone to see if that helps. I've had the internal GPS not pick up my location in a couple of apps, but other times it does it instantaneously.
    So, you'd rather not have basic features on Sprint Navigation?
    I've only used two GPS devices. A Dash Express and a Garmin nuvi 260w. Neither have this option. So I don't think its a "basic" feature. Its just a feature.

Anyways, when I go off route using my DE it tells me to make a U-turn for as long as it makes sense. Sometimes a U-turn is the fastest route to get back on track. It also says make a U-turn where allowed. If I ignore it and keep driving then eventually it will give me a new route (which at that point making a U-turn would take longer).

I don't have experience w/ the Sprint Navigation on the Pre. I tried to use it on my HTC Touch, but it takes forever to find a sattelite lock, and the screen is too small and not touch friendly.

(Side Note: Another example of blindly following GPS: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/19715994/detail.html)
    Last edited by zhackwyatt; 06/13/2009 at 02:54 PM.
    On a funny note about GPS, check this article out:
    GPS coordinates lead demolition crew to destroy wrong house
    Tired of blaming GPS on petty mishaps like the destruction of cars, a demolition crew in Georgia has managed to accidentally destroy an entirely wrong house based on GPS coordinates. Oddly enough, it wasn't even the first time they'd been by: the man who cuts the grass noticed that the power box was missing from the home and holes were punched into the walls about a month ago -- it was suspected as vandalism, but it now seems that the stealthy, directionless demolition company was to blame. The demolition company says it had "paperwork" authorizing the destruction, complete with the coordinates and a description of the home, which the owner's father had built with his own hands "brick by brick."

I hope he wasn't using Sprint Navigation! haha.

EDIT:
    zhackwyatt posted a link to the same GPS mistake. lol.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    On a funny note about GPS, check this article out:
    GPS coordinates lead demolition crew to destroy wrong house
    Tired of blaming GPS on petty mishaps like the destruction of cars, a demolition crew in Georgia has managed to accidentally destroy an entirely wrong house based on GPS coordinates. Oddly enough, it wasn't even the first time they'd been by: the man who cuts the grass noticed that the power box was missing from the home and holes were punched into the walls about a month ago -- it was suspected as vandalism, but it now seems that the stealthy, directionless demolition company was to blame. The demolition company says it had "paperwork" authorizing the destruction, complete with the coordinates and a description of the home, which the owner's father had built with his own hands "brick by brick."

I hope he wasn't using Sprint Navigation! haha.

EDIT:
    zhackwyatt posted a link to the same GPS mistake. lol.
    That's the importance of updating your maps. lol With all of these new developments popping up, certain places aren't guaranteed to be there.

Also for the person that has the Nuvi, it's there. Go to tools, settings, navigation, and avoidances.
    That's the importance of updating your maps. lol With all of these new developments popping up, certain places aren't guaranteed to be there.

Also for the person that has the Nuvi, it's there. Go to tools, settings, navigation, and avoidances.
    I stand corrected.
    Sprint Navigation doesnt pick up my contacts. Is that because I imported them from google? If so, is there anyway to link them so sprint navigation picks them up?
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    Sprint Navigation doesnt pick up my contacts. Is that because I imported them from google? If so, is there anyway to link them so sprint navigation picks them up?
    I believe it's a bug. Sprint Nav only picks up Palm Profile saved contacts.
    I believe it's a bug. Sprint Nav only picks up Palm Profile saved contacts.
    Thanks for the quick response!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    I obsessed on this until I found a solution. Here you go:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/we...-contacts.html
    Sprint Navigation lacks basic important features that even cheap standalone GPS models have.

1. You can't set it to ignore U-turns.
    2. It doesn't re-route correctly by taking a better route. It normally asks you to make a U-turn.
    3. No way to exclude certain streets, toll roads, etc.

My experience with Sprint Navigation has been poor. I've compared standalone GPS units such as a Garmin Nuvi 350, Navigon 2100, and Tom Tom 730 to the Sprint Navigation and Sprint has failed on all of the tests. I've literally been in front of the my destination and have the Sprint Navigation tell me it couldn't find it (even though it gave me directions to get there.)
    I have an OmniTech with Navigon installed. I don't like the lack of functionality with the Sprint Nav but last night when trying to get to a friends house, the gps on my phone beat out the gps on my OmniTech that was still searching for a signal. While its hardware and not software, it was convenient.

Using a cell phone as a stand alone GPS from my experience is still not possible yet for long trips. Battery life plus car charger still gets drained by apps after extended use.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post

Nice. Didn't see that thread. Looks like I'll have to edit my addresses on Google Contacts. I hope this formatting can get fixed so that new addresses added to Address Book on Mac OS X sync up fine. If not I guess entering them on the Pre or directly to Google Contacts first then allowing Address Book to sync will have to due.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post

Thanks! I didn't see this until today, so I had already deleted my google account and imported my contacts as palm using the desktop. On the bright side, since I had put all my contacts into google in anticipation of getting the pre, I have cleaned them all up and have something online where they are all in one place.
    Sprint GPS Navagation - Missing key feature ...
    When you are almost at your destination. It doesn't display the actual address....? Just the street name, for example E 900 S

I can't find the final destination address unless I stop the trip on the Pre and go back to my saved address... Or am I missing something?
    Quote Originally Posted by palmit View Post
    One of the most useful features is the fact that you can enter your destination via a computer and it will appear on your phone when you syn My Favorites. This is a great, quick and useful feature! Go to their website telenav.com
    This is a great feature. I just went to sprint.telenav.com and you can look up or find a location and send it to your Sprint phone. Then, when you startup SprintNavigation it asks you if you want to route to the destination that was pushed to you.

I can't tell you how many times my wife has called me on the phone to look-up directions on the computer to some place she can't seem to find while en-route. Now I can just push it to her Pre from my Pre or the computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    This is a great feature. I just went to sprint.telenav.com and you can look up or find a location and send it to your Sprint phone. Then, when you startup SprintNavigation it asks you if you want to route to the destination that was pushed to you.

I can't tell you how many times my wife has called me on the phone to look-up directions on the computer to some place she can't seem to find while en-route. Now I can just push it to her PrPrPr&#$275$; $from$ $my$ $Pr$&#$275$; $or$ $the$ $computer$.
    My GF calls me all the time looking for directions. She's on the waitlist for the PrPrPr&#$275$;. $I$ $cannot$ $wait$ $to$ $use$ $this$ $function$ $when$ $she$ $calls$ $looking$ $for$ $directions$. $Thanks$ $Telenav$; $I$ $just$ $gained$ $about$ $two$ $hours$ $per$ $month$ $of$ $my$ $life$ $back$. $More$ $time$ $to$ $Play$ $with$ $my$ $Pr$&#$275$;!!!
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123