Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    I used to have Telenav on my Treo 755p and have to agree that it wouldn't fully replace a standalone unit. But if you happen to not have a standalone (like myself) or get into a friend's car and they don't have one, it works pretty well over 90% of the time. I never really had the re-routing U-turn problem. I can see it telling you to do that if you're going in the totally opposite direction. It's shorter than going around the block. I definitely would like a skip tolls option though. At least traffic is included. Isn't it a subscription or add-on for Garmin, TomTom, and others?
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Considering it's a free (included) app on a cell phone, it does just fine. Of course dedicated units are and always will be better.

New Garmin models have free lifetime traffic. But the issue is at hand is a basic feature for a allegedly being 2.1 software. My beef with it is that it asked me to make a U-turn when making a U-turn would have resulted in bodily injury. Free should never come before safety. Disabling U-turns is a safety feature.
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 06/11/2009 at 10:10 AM.
    Prior to the Pre, I had a Palm Centro. Since it doesn't have built in GPS I had to buy a Freedom 2000 GPS puck and Garmin for the Centro.

I have used Sprint Nav on the Pre and have to say that Garmin on my Centro is better than Sprint Nav on my Pre.

One glaring difference is thatmy Garmin would alert me that my turn was coming up, and alert me again right when I was supposed to turn.

Sprint Nav does the same but the second alert is sounded about .3 miles before the actual turn which is confusing if there are a couple of streets in between.

Sprint Nav forces me to look at the screen to check the distance to the turn to make sure I don't make the turn prematurely.
    anyone else having trouble with sprint nav pulling up your contacts so you don't have to type in the address???
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks72 View Post
    anyone else having trouble with sprint nav pulling up your contacts so you don't have to type in the address???
    Yeah I go to contacts and nothing is there
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks72 View Post
    Yes. Someone that used Palm Profile as their primary contact was able to populate the Nav Contacts, but I have not be able to get a straight answer from Sprint/Palm about this issue. I use gmail contacts as my primary and have not been able to populate the Contacts.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    It'll probably be easiest to just import your contacts on Voice directions on your GPS phone: TeleNav
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    \
    One glaring difference is thatmy Garmin would alert me that my turn was coming up, and alert me again right when I was supposed to turn.

Sprint Nav does the same but the second alert is sounded about .3 miles before the actual turn which is confusing if there are a couple of streets in between.

Sprint Nav forces me to look at the screen to check the distance to the turn to make sure I don't make the turn prematurely.
    Excellent point. This is the major difference I noted when comparing Sprint Nav on my Pre to Mapquest Navigator on my BB. Since I drive an 18 wheeler for work it's an important difference.

I could maybe get used to that but the volume is terrible on the Pre with Sprint Nav compared to the BB. Basically I can't hear it without holding it up to my ear, and I find the sound quality terrible. I can put the BB Flip in my shirt pocket and hear it, but better yet, when I put the Flip in its case in the trucks cup holder it gets twice as loud due to echo effect. No problem hearing it even in the very loud cab.

This and the fact that Palm has apparently locked down the ability to access your contacts from the application may be the sole reason I return the Pre.
    I use Gmail contacts as my primary contacts as well, and MY SprintNav can see all my contacts.

Again, my major problem is with the second turn alert.

And like galvanater mentioned, the volume is TERRIBLE. It's in the software though, because Pandora on my Pre sounds pretty good. So I think the volume problem can be fixed in a software update.

My major problem I think, is probably TeleNav issue. They probably THINK that having the turn announced .3 miles ahead of the actual turn gives you more time to prepare, when I personally find it more confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    I use Gmail contacts as my primary contacts as well, and MY SprintNav can see all my contacts.

Again, my major problem is with the second turn alert.

And like galvanater mentioned, the volume is TERRIBLE. It's in the software though, because Pandora on my Pre sounds pretty good. So I think the volume problem can be fixed in a software update.

My major problem I think, is probably TeleNav issue. They probably THINK that having the turn announced .3 miles ahead of the actual turn gives you more time to prepare, when I personally find it more confusing.
    It's definitely software for the low volume. I used VolumeCare on my 755p to boost it up to the level it should be at.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 06/12/2009 at 06:31 PM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    What happens when a call comes in or you make a call? Does the Navigation keep going but silent? Or does the Nav voice still come thru?
    Quote Originally Posted by lawilson2 View Post
    What happens when a call comes in or you make a call? Does the Navigation keep going but silent? Or does the Nav voice still come thru?
    You can't have Sprint Navigation and a phone call going at the same time. It's one or the other. It's a limitation of the network. This is taken from page 59 of the Sprint Navigation User's Guide:

Taking an Incoming Call
    When you are using Sprint Navigation and your phone receives an incoming call, your phone rings and displays a screen that gives you the option to take or ignore the call. If you ignore the call, the Sprint Navigation application resumes and continues with the function that you were using before the call came in. If you take the call, re-launch Sprint Navigation when you hang up the phone.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    New Garmin models have free lifetime traffic. But the issue is at hand is a basic feature for a allegedly being 2.1 software. My beef with it is that it asked me to make a U-turn when making a U-turn would have resulted in bodily injury. Free should never come before safety. Disabling U-turns is a safety feature.
    I'm sorry, but anyone that blindly follows a GPS w/o regard to traffic safety shouldn't be driving in the first place. So I disagree, I don't think not being able to disable it poses a safety risk.

GPS sends another driver onto train tracks of doom
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    ^^ +1 exactly what I was thinking.
    On my HTC Touch the sprint nav had the cool ability to let you speak search for something (it actually made a phone call), then sent the info to to Telenav when you hung up. I noticed there is settings for this in the preferences but I don't see how to do it in the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    On my HTC Touch the sprint nav had the cool ability to let you speak search for something (it actually made a phone call), then sent the info to to Telenav when you hung up. I noticed there is settings for this in the preferences but I don't see how to do it in the app.
    Check Page 21 of the Sprint Navigation User Guide:

Address Speak It

You can dictate a street address or city by tapping Call It In.
    1. When the phone keypad appears, tap Call. This places a call to the
    Speak It server.
    2. Follow the voice prompts to dictate an address.
    3. After the call, re-launch Sprint Navigation on your phone.
    4. The location you entered by speaking will appear at the top of your
    Recent Places list. You may need to tap the Refresh icon to pull in
    the new address.

Quote Originally Posted by zhackwyatt View Post
    I'm sorry, but anyone that blindly follows a GPS w/o regard to traffic safety shouldn't be driving in the first place. So I disagree, I don't think not being able to disable it poses a safety risk.

GPS sends another driver onto train tracks of doom
    So, you'd rather not have basic features on Sprint Navigation?
    So, you'd rather not have basic features on Sprint Navigation?
    All I need it do to is get me to the correct destination. That's the basic feature all GPS navigations pretty much have. I already have common sense while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    All I need it do to is get me to the correct destination. That's the basic feature all GPS navigations pretty much have. I already have common sense while driving.
    Some do it better than others. The routing engine for Sprint Navigation is poor as you can see some have described. It even told me it couldn't furnish directions to my destination, even though I was right down the street from it. Common sense tells me to warn people about the negatives of Sprint Navigation and wait for a significant update to the routing engine.
    Some do it better than others. The routing engine for Sprint Navigation is poor as you can see some have described. It even told me it couldn't furnish directions to my destination, even though I was right down the street from it. Common sense tells me to warn people about the negatives of Sprint Navigation and wait for a significant update to the routing engine.
    I have no problems with you telling people there are negatives. There are pros and cons to nearly everything. But as I stated before, it's worked nearly perfect with me and as you can see for others as well. I never had the "make a crazy U-turn where I might get into a crash" happen to me. Even if it did, that's when common sense comes into play.

I posted this on another thread but mine won't even pick up the satellite -- outdoors.
    It worked great at first, even indoors, it had my exact location, but now, in my car, outdoors, it won't work.
    Anyone else have these issues.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast