Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    So, all these years I've been a Palm fan. Since the Treo 600, I've had them all. Sure, I've had a fling with a Mogul, an HTC Pro, shoot, even an iPhone and an iPhone 3g, but my love for Treos and Palm has never wavered. So, while waiting for Palm's newest and greates Pre... I bought a Treo Pro after having shunned the crappy HTC PRO (and previously to that an 800w).

Enter the Pre... So sexy... so futuristic... I have her, I love her, I want to love her even more, but she won't let me... Why?

I dunno... she just doesn't do things the way my old Treo Pro does. I can't see my day at a glance... I can't voice dial with Voice Command... I can't search via voice with Live Search... I can't Sling... I can't type one handed... I can't get my work email...

Damnit... WinMo is old and slow... Damnit, WinMo handles media like a dog.... The Pre.... she's so sexy and sleek.... hmm, stay or go...

It's kinda like having a wife and looking for a GF.... The wife will do everything, maybe not the way you like it, but she will... and cheaper...

The GF promises so much more and is so much more exciting, but damn she costs an arm and a leg and she's only promising... What to do...

In my case... I think I'm going back to old trusty... She may be old hat, she may not be the same looker she was when I got her... but damn, she knows what I like... and she's already paid for with a lower monthly upkeep...

But... isn't SHE PREtty!!!
    Wait closer to your 30-day limit to return. I bet there will be lots of apps out in the next couple weeks. Maybe even another ROM update.

I love this phone. I does the basic functions I need out of the box. I miss tethering, but the browser is nice enough that I don't care that much anymore.
    Out of your list the only thing I can pick on is ..... can't type one handed. I have no problem with that at all.

I would venture a guess that if you could get your email, you would wait/give up on the rest.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    i have the pro sitting next to my pre and im using the pro to enter and edit word docs etc... i miss a lot you describe but the pre does link me to more. damn why cant i squish my pro into me pre. oh and add the htc pro camera and video and you got the ultimate device
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I have always been a Treo user and understand the pains of the adjustment as well. I do miss having the keyboard accessible without flipping the phone open and having to go through a few more clicks to get to what it took 2 to get to, but as the learning process has continued I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I know that ANY new device I move to after using one specific platform for 4 years is going to be a major adjustment. It took me a while to become truly comfortable on PalmOS when I first moved to it as well but the only thing that ever fixes it is repeated use to establish task memory.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the replies....

Bear in mind that right now, my Treo Pro service is grandfathered on a F&C 2500 min plan for $100 that includes everything except Navigation and Sprint TV for two lines.

Moving to the Pre would be $129.99 for 1500 minutes with everything...

Like I said... the shiny new GF is tempting and costs so much more (advice to those who ever consider cheating)....
    I would say if it doesnt do it for you then return it. You have tried many other phones so this should be no different.

I like the WebOS but havent warmed to the form factor myself but thinking that Palm is going to come out with new WebOS phones... The Pixie is a definite so you know they will.

Looks Like the WebOS is here to stay and will be new phones... Just wait until they come out with the phone you like.
    I agree with waiting on the 30 day limit. I have that date and the end of the recycle program on my radar.
    So, if the phone is returned and the contract is canceled within the 30 days, we're just out the cost of the monthly plan (~$70), correct?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Come on folks! The Pre is a brand new way of doings things. You can't expect nothing to change. If you want the Pre to do everything just like your Pro, keep your Pro. Give yourself some time to adjust to your new device. Will it do everything right out of the gate? No way.

I agree with the recommendation to wait closer to the 30 day return limit. I have a feeling your opinions will have changed by then.

For the record, I'm on AT&T, so no Pre for me... ...yet. While you lucky folks are complaining, many of us wish we could have one.

Mac
    Last edited by McTreo; 06/11/2009 at 11:08 AM.
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Guys, I don't disagree with the potential of the Pre... I rather like it a lot... But... and this is a big but... Iphone users waited 2 years to get voice dialing native to the phone? Google maps will do for Live search, I can live with that... Voice dialing was in phones 10 years ago...

Remember that the Pro has a financial advantage for me as well, so that is a consideration... I am not dissing the Pre here, and most of you jump on anyone who has anything to say about it... My factors and consideration are based on my unique position... I just wanted to hear what others (presumably in my same boat) wanted to say...
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Didn't mean to pile on, just trying to be the voice of moderation.

As John Lennon would have said, "Give Pre a chance!"

Mac
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Quote Originally Posted by porcaccio View Post
    Guys, I don't disagree with the potential of the Pre... I rather like it a lot... But... and this is a big but... Iphone users waited 2 years to get voice dialing native to the phone? Google maps will do for Live search, I can live with that... Voice dialing was in phones 10 years ago...

Remember that the Pro has a financial advantage for me as well, so that is a consideration... I am not dissing the Pre here, and most of you jump on anyone who has anything to say about it... My factors and consideration are based on my unique position... I just wanted to hear what others (presumably in my same boat) wanted to say...
    Why not keep the Pro for now and wait for the Pre to live up to some of that potential.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    That is what I have been considering...
    An easy decision for me. At this time the Pre is just does not meet my desires or needs. Given time and with the correct applications, I would definitely show some interest. Right now though, games just do not excite me.
    Stick with the Pro. As the saying goes, if it isn't broken, why are you trying to fix it?
    You could always stick with your Pro and have a Pre on the side, just like I do with my wife and my girlf...

Oops. Did I write that out loud?!?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    WinMo is a very old, mature (slow and outdated) OS with lots of apps and an SDK that's been out forever.

The Pre is new, in its infancy (fast and current) OS waiting on what is supposed to have an easy to develop for SDK.

I don't think a lot of your issues will be handled in the first month, rather you may have to wait for a few months, but they will likely all be solved by developers and Palm at some point soon. With developer excitement and expected ease to develop you are likely to see better solutions than found on WinMo.

As others have said, see what solutions exist when your 30 days are up, if they are deal breakers get a Treo Pro until you feel WebOS meets your needs.