Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    We recently determined that the Pre's speaker is capable of being loud. All you have to do is pump up the volume on the ringtone MP3s.

But when I tried to put someone on speakerphone yesterday, I was straining to hear the person's voice in my quiet house. I was missing so much I had to take it off speakerphone. The phone was propped up on my touchstone, so the speaker wasn't flat against the table, and I had the volume controls maxed out.

Is this symptomatic of all the Pres? Does even one person find the speakerphone usable? It seems like Palm needs to amp up the volume sent to the speaker for everything. We know the speaker can handle it.

This gives me pause. I feel like a bought a phone with no speakerphone feature. I use that feature so often, I'm not sure how smart this move was.
    Works just fine for me. I find the speaker feature to be loud. The alarm wakes me up with no problem. I can hear people talk very clearly even in the car with loud road noise.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdominick View Post
    Works just fine for me. I find the speaker feature to be loud. The alarm wakes me up with no problem. I can hear people talk very clearly even in the car with loud road noise.
    Interesting. Many people are reporting quiet speakers. I wonder if this is a hardware bug in a fraction of the phones. Unless you're doing something I'm not.
    I have my volume cranked up all the way in the sound preferences. I usually have the speakerphone a couple bars from being full.
    I have my volume cranked up and the speakerphone works great. I wonder if it's a full-duplex speakerphone, because on my old phone it seemed like the person talking to you could never hear you if they were speaking. But on the Pre, conversations are smooth.
    i haven't used the speakerphone much, when i have used it i can say that it has been very clear... the volume was a mix between hi and lo, i figured it was the person on the other end....
    No problems using it in the car.
    Unfortunatley I don't yet own a Pre... YET! But the store model I used was quite good in most aspects that I tried for the functions I use including speakerphone. It was quite loud actually. I had to turn it down so everyone else wouldn't hear my conversation.

What I don't get, is why are some people so easily detered? You are fortunate to have a great device, in many different aspects... Hang in there! Trust me when I say that very very very soon (if not already in the works) there will be an app that will come out and increase the volume; like in the past: Phone Technician anyone? Volume Care? Both of those apps worked great on the Treos.

The only other thing that could be is that if there is something wrong with the phone then address that with Tech Support, any-which-way show some resilience... Hang in there! It will all work out.
    I use the corded headset in the car, but I have used the speakerphone many times and it is loud enough for me. It seems to depend on who I am talking to and what network they are on. Landlines are clearer (obviously) and most of my friends/fams on Sprint come in loud enough.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Wow, I must have a dud! I'll be visiting my local Sprint store to talk about two things: (1) my shy speakerphone, and (2) why I can't seem to send anyone picture messages anymore.

Thanks for your help everyone!
    I've noticed the other day my speaker was insanely quiet. IT SEEMS TO BE A SOFTWARE BUG. Last night I was playing with notification sounds and I happened to press the ringer volume button on the left of the device while in the ringer preview window. I was playing some random ringtone at the time and when I pressed the ringer volume button my speaker went from low to LOUD. I am 99% sure this is a software bug. Go fiddle around with your volume settings and see if you can't get the speaker back to normal.
    I posted this problem somewhere else on PreCentral and got no response.

So I am glad that I finally found that others are seeing the same problem as I am.

Playing a video without a headset is totally useless. I was able to do this on my Treo.

And yes, the speaker is capable of producing loud enough sounds, damm the ringer is loud.

I did post this on Palm's website under the feature request.

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Consider if you also listen to headphones, loud music, or are exposed to other loud noise sources before assuming its a hardware issue with an individual Pre.
    Might be a hardware issue? My Pre is pretty damned loud through the Speakerphone. Even used it for a conference call today.

It's definitely not as load as some of my old phones (had a Nextel phone from back in the day that would blow your eardrums out).
    The sound levels were very low of my Pre when I got it. The first or second update seem to correct that. Sounds like there are still several software issues around the sound levels. Palm was probably very conservative with the levels trying to maximize battery life? It's hard to believe that the Pre was ever beta tested by a real user ... gww
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracostian View Post
    Might be a hardware issue? My Pre is pretty damned loud through the Speakerphone. Even used it for a conference call today.

It's definitely not as load as some of my old phones (had a Nextel phone from back in the day that would blow your eardrums out).
    It is perfectly loud enough for phone calls, but play a video and that where you see the problem.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Hi. I posted on this issue earlier today on a separate thread (sorry, didn't see this one). The volume on my speaker phone is fine with the louder ringtones but is soft, tinny, and distorted otherwise (with GPS, speaker phone). Seems to be a software problem and so am not sure bringing it
    back to Sprint would make much difference. Any thoughts? Damn, owning this phone is getting to be a frustrating experience!
    I have the same problem. I have google voice and visual voicemail and the voicemails play on my external speakers I can here a faint noise coming out of the speaker but cannnot make out words. Videos are a little louder but not much.
    I just wish they had a mic on the back so I could just turn the phone upside down for speakerphone calls. The way it is now, either you hear them or they hear you, but not both for me...