Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've used PalmOS for over a decade and just switched to an iPhone about 1 month before the Pre was announced I like the iPhone for a variety of things, but really miss the ease of use of the PalmOS. One thing I really miss is the Calendar app. Truthfully, I used Datebk6 (starting with DB3 and so on) which was just fantastic. The iPhone Calendar app has been a huge disappointment and Push Notifications to be added with OS3 are, IMO, a partial workaround to a notable shortcoming in the OS.

Any former PalmOS or iPhone users with comments on how the Pre's Calendar app compares?
    Not an iphone user, but used to LOVE calendars on the old palms. And this one doesn't even have Agenda view. :O. wow.

If you're thinking of getting a Pre, personally, even though i really like mine, i highly recommend waiting for a while until this one is finished, because what came out on saturday really is not.
  3.    #3  
    That's kinda what I was afraid of regarding Calendar. I am beyond perplexed how Palm could have opted for such a regressed dayplanning tool when the PalmOS Garnet had more built-in features I know it's "prettier" but yikes. Perhaps they saw that Apple set the bar so low that hardly any effort was needed to compete with it I will keep an eye on developments and hope someone like CESD comes out with a Datebk equivalent for the Pre. Truthfully, I've pared down my requirements for a smartphone to only a pharmaceutical book, bible, and good dayplanning and contact options. SplashID is the only "by name" request I also have Hoping that Palm will set a new tone with regular updates that offer noticable improvements and functionality.
    I was an iPhone user and I like the the calendar on the Pre more.

On the iPhone I used to have my work and personal calendar but ended up taking my work calendar off 'cause it was hard to keep them separated.

On the Pre I don't have this problem.
    It's very clear which is which and it's very easy (two taps) to make calendars visible or not.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    honestly, the calendar is one of the most disappointing apps on the phone. If you truly rely on your calendar to quickly find out when you have to do somethign, or quickly see what you have to do on a day, you will be sorely disappointed.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    He guys, since I actually like the Calendar on the Pre I'm just curious what feature / features are missing that the default calendar on other devices have?

Is it just the agenda view, or more stuff?

I'm honestly just trying to find out as for my personal use, the Pre calendar has been great.

Thanks!
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Two issues with Calendar that really bug me:
    1. Very slow in bringing up day view (when you go from one day to next, you have to wait for 1-3 seconds (depending on # of events) before you can progress to the next day). The day view is grayed out until the events load up and 1-3 seconds later, you can see the events for the day and scroll up/down.
    2. General lag in the Calendar app (going from day view to week view to month view) takes a bit too long (being one of the most used app for me, this speed compared to other apps needs to be faster).

Just for reference, I have my exchange calendar, and 3 private google calendars (where I am an admin). I have tried to disable the google calendar and still not much help (a bit faster, but not significant).
    For me the two missing things are (1) an agenda view and (2) a search function.
    As a long-time Datebk3-4-5 user, I actually like the Calendar on the Pre. It's simple, quick to add appointments, quick to view a month or a day, and simple to go to a new date. The Pre's calendar is uncluttered and quick. There are no complex features - but I find that to be an advantage.

Having said that, I wish Google Calendar's all-day appointments showed up on the month view. They don't, so I had to assign a time to my all-day appointments so I wouldn't miss them.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    As a long-time Datebk3-4-5 user, I actually like the Calendar on the Pre. It's simple, quick to add appointments, quick to view a month or a day, and simple to go to a new date. The Pre's calendar is uncluttered and quick. There are no complex features - but I find that to be an advantage.

Having said that, I wish Google Calendar's all-day appointments showed up on the month view. They don't, so I had to assign a time to my all-day appointments so I wouldn't miss them.
    Interesting perspective from someone who's probably got a consistently full daily calendar. I liked Datebk too, especially the templates. I'm excited to see what devs will come up with for the Pre.
    I love the calendar.
    I really like the calendar app a lot more. Now I am able to load all 5 of my calendars which I could not do before (1 exchange 4 google). Not sure sure why PalmKing is having such lag issues though. Once the app is open, which takes up to 2 seconds I can switch from back and forth between views and or open individual calendars with very little lag...maybe 1 second. I don't have 100's of appointments so I don't know if that would make it super slow....It's pretty cool how well it integrates with google calendar that's for sure. Creating meeting requests is NOT possible because you can not add invitee's. You can't do that on the iPhone either though..not until 3.0 and I'm sure Palm will add this feature as well since they seem to be in a horse race now.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    He guys, since I actually like the Calendar on the Pre I'm just curious what feature / features are missing that the default calendar on other devices have?
    Especially for a Palm calendar, it's just very slow. I keep getting faked out when the calendar day shows up blank before it slowly fills up the agenda. But for me the biggest omission is the weak "Month" view.

That bottom part on the iPhone calendar makes a world of difference. On the iPhone you can swipe from day to day and scroll through your agenda, but on the Pre the month view only tells you "something" is scheduled but to find out what it is you need to change views (which is slow).
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    Yep, we all need to switch to the iphone.
  15.    #15  
    It's interesting how mixed opinions are.

Does it seem that previous PalmOS handheld users appear to be the most disappointed with the Pre calendar app?

Sounds like the Pre calendar may be a bit faster to use (less screen taps... huge nuisance on the iPhone) but doesn't really have much more in the way of features?

I just went to Pimlico's website (Datebk developer) and noticed it sounds like he's working on a new application, Pimlical, which may have a Pre version in the future... anyone tried this app on Windows and have any feedback? The cross-platform part sounds nice but I notice it appears this has been "in the works" for quite awhile and still only offers a single platform (Windows) option at the present. Feedback?
    Last edited by talkin73; 06/15/2009 at 03:47 AM.
    I haven't used the iphone but coming from the windows mobile phone, the one thing I do miss is that on my home screen, it would tell me what exactly I have going on for that day, and what was going on 24 hours in advance.

However, its not a huge deal for me, I've learned to compromise, and I usually always just keep one calendar card open for the day I'm on. I still like how it syncs with my google calendar and how some programs (like the flight one) automatically adds my flights into the calendar!
    I'll take Pocket Informant on the iPhone compared to either of them. Awesome calendar app. Hopefully they will make a Pre version.
  18.    #18  
    I actually purchased PI for my iPhone but the push notification is the only way to get an alarm. It's weird having such a featureless built-in calendar on the iPhone after using PalmOS for so long before switching. This is one area of the user experience, for me, that I'm really appreciating what I lost with PalmOS after the switch. I guess it's useful information overall... how important a good calendar app is for me. If PI came to the Pre but allowed system-based alarms rather than requiring some network notification to get your alarm (ie; if you are out of range of a network, no alarm!!!) that would be very attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by talkin73 View Post
    I actually purchased PI for my iPhone but the push notification is the only way to get an alarm. It's weird having such a featureless built-in calendar on the iPhone after using PalmOS for so long before switching. This is one area of the user experience, for me, that I'm really appreciating what I lost with PalmOS after the switch. I guess it's useful information overall... how important a good calendar app is for me. If PI came to the Pre but allowed system-based alarms rather than requiring some network notification to get your alarm (ie; if you are out of range of a network, no alarm!!!) that would be very attractive.
    Thats an issue with the iPhone API not Pocket Informant. Once push is enabled this week it shouldn't matter though. The different calendar view it offers are amazing, plus the GTD style for tasks is great. The developer seems to like the Pre so maybe a future version is on the works.

The lack of search in the calendar makes the Pre a non-starter for me (as do a number of other things). Even my Palm IIIx had this feature, and I'm simply flabbergasted that Palm didn't think this feature was important.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast