Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Until the Zune HD the Pre is going to be my primary MP3/Podcast player. Even after the Zune I plan on using the music player function alot. I'm on the road 6hrs a day so Podcasts are a big deal deal to me and the music software out of the box for the Pre just isn't cutting it. Here are a list of issues I have with the music player. The good news is that these are really easy to fix. In fact I expect most of these to be corrected within the first month.

Podcast not separated from music - obvious

No 'quick seek' function - When you load up a video you are able to skip to any moment during the movie. Having to hold down fast forward on a 2hr podcast is annoying at best.

No memory when you close a podcast - HUGE deal for me. On all my other players,when you stop a podcast and go to a song it remembers where you were when you come back to the podcast. On the Pre you have to remember where you were and fast forward to that point,annoying.

Lack of track information during album view - Its annoying to have to switch to list view to see how much time is left in a song or if you want to fast forward/rewind to a specific point.

Pauses track if you touch anywhere on the screen - I hate this. If I want to pause the song I'll hit the pause button.

Swiping moves to next track in album mode - VERY frustrating. If you accidentally slide your finger across the screen it will move to the next song in album mode. The iphone gets this right. The album should fill the screen and if you want to skip to the next song you have to hit the correct button.

'Home' button should turn on the screen - Not exclusively a music player problem but I should have the option of turning on the screen not just by the power button. The home button is easier to push with one hand than the power button.

Thats all I've noticed so far after a couple days of heavy use. The great thing about these problems is that they are super easy to fix. I hope the first major update addresses these issues. I'm really enjoying the look and feel of the Pre despite these problems though.
    if i had but one post to make.....this would be it; word for word. great post!
    i agree..
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    One of the worst music players I have seen. pTunes on the Treo was waaaayyy better.

I actually do like the swipe for next track...it makes no look control a lot easier when you are in the car. Maybe they could do it in the gesture area instead...the back, pause, forward buttons are way to tiny to not have swipe to advance and tap to pause IMO
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Agree with everything you said but the center button and the swiping
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    The screen locks and when locked you can't control the music. Must slide up to unlock and then you can control. Should integrate usable controls over lock to make using the controls better.
    Its called "center button"
    I am sure this will be fixed with 3rd party solutions soon. Just need to give it some time.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I am sure this will be fixed with 3rd party solutions soon. Just need to give it some time.
    I really hope we are not going to have to get 3rd party paid sync/email/calendar/music apps etc as this could get seriously expensive.
    It's one of the things I am watching closely and might cause me to return this and wait on the sidelines if I don't see some sort of hope that updates are going to give me a bit more of what I need PIM wise.

I love so much about this device. I now know that this new Palm OS is what I have been looking for. I am not enough of an early adopter or as much of one as I thought - which is my shortcoming of course and not the Pre's.
    Coming from windows mobile, I am actually quite happy with this player. The A2DP reception with the pre is fantastic when compared to my touch pro, as well.

Sometimes though, the pre does not respond to my pause/play commands. That is kind of annoying.
    My biggest gripe with it is that the max volume on the headphones is way too low.
    I hate how album art in my music gets added to my pictures.
    Like others have mentioned, you needed 3rd party apps on pOS and WM to get a decent experience. It will probably be a 3rd party app (or maybe a later wOS update) that improves the media player. I think they wanted something simple and stable that they could build upon in this initial release.
    Quote Originally Posted by dp135 View Post
    I really hope we are not going to have to get 3rd party paid sync/email/calendar/music apps etc as this could get seriously expensive.
    It's one of the things I am watching closely and might cause me to return this and wait on the sidelines if I don't see some sort of hope that updates are going to give me a bit more of what I need PIM wise.

I love so much about this device. I now know that this new Palm OS is what I have been looking for. I am not enough of an early adopter or as much of one as I thought - which is my shortcoming of course and not the Pre's.
    Oh, I do think Palm will be making improvements, but the music player would be low on the list right now, IMO. It works, maybe not like everyone would like, but I find it much more useful than WM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Coming from windows mobile, I am actually quite happy with this player. The A2DP reception with the pre is fantastic when compared to my touch pro, as well.

Sometimes though, the pre does not respond to my pause/play commands. That is kind of annoying.
    Me too - as for responsive, has the screen gone "dim" when this happens? Not sure how to adjust that either.

Quote Originally Posted by kabobkicker View Post
    My biggest gripe with it is that the max volume on the headphones is way too low.
    Wow, I have bad ears and mine can blow my ear drums out. Get your hearing checked!

Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Like others have mentioned, you needed 3rd party apps on pOS and WM to get a decent experience. It will probably be a 3rd party app (or maybe a later wOS update) that improves the media player. I think they wanted something simple and stable that they could build upon in this initial release.
    Agree - sometimes getting something better or more suited to your needs will cost you a little more $$.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    I want Ptunes for WebOS. Does Ptunes work with the Classic emulator?

According to this thread, Ptunes works on Classic + Pre
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...k-classic.html
    Last edited by swieder; 06/11/2009 at 12:26 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kabobkicker

Wow, I have bad ears and mine can blow my ear drums out. Get your hearing checked!
    What headphones are you using? I'm using pretty good quality Bose ear buds and it gets no where near as loud as my ipod does.
    Quote Originally Posted by kabobkicker View Post
    What headphones are you using? I'm using pretty good quality Bose ear buds and it gets no where near as loud as my ipod does.
    I am using a pair of $15 Panasonic's. My iPod earbuds work well also.
    Wow, mine is too loud at 1 bar.... of course I've got in-ear 'canalphone' type headphones.

As for music app improvements, it seems most of the complaints center around podcasts. There's no reason someone (with the SDK at least) couldn't make a podcast specific app in the meantime, that handles things much better (and maybe even auto-downloads the podcast from the rss). It'd hook into the built in media player to do it, but could probably fix most of people's issues.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Lack of playlist support is killing me. I have a mixture of album, personal mix and smart playlists, so it's important distinguish between my "Favorite Songs" and "Random 300 songs" playlists. As of now my only option is to either shuffle everything or drill down to individual albums.

Fast-forwarding by holding down the forward button (and vice-versa) is really nice, but the lack of track progress bar is truly baffling.
    Last edited by sheltem; 06/11/2009 at 12:50 PM.
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I don't see how this media player is more useful than Windows Media Player on Windows Mobile. I would give up the fancy pictures of album art (seriously, who cares what the album cover looks like??) to have a progress bar that let me choose a spot within a track like the streaming video player has. Even WMP on WinMo has that. I listen to audiobooks while I commute an hour each way to work and sometimes the files are an hour and a half long and I don't want to have to hold down fast forward to try to find where I was when I can just drag and drop the progress bar to go to the exact spot on WinMo. Plus, nothing to do with the media player itself, but when driving, I don't want to have to look at the screen to fast forward or rewind (not skip tracks but back up a few seconds within the current track), and the lack of physical buttons makes doing this while driving tricky and potentially dangerous with having to look at the screen and find the small rewind button.

Until we get a free 3rd party player like TCPMP or they make some changes to the built-in one, I'll be using my Mogul for my media player. I hate carrying two devices but I hate the media player on the Pre more.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast