Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    had a quick question guys. My buddy is wondering if he hits sync music on the Pre, will all his music transfer over to the Pre? or does it just connect the two?
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltem View Post
    Lack of playlist support is killing me. I have a mixture of album, personal mix and smart playlists, so it's important distinguish between my "Favorite Songs" and "Random 300 songs" playlists. As of now my only option is to either shuffle everything or drill down to individual albums.

Fast-forwarding by holding down the forward button (and vice-versa) is really nice, but the lack of track progress bar is truly baffling.
    Are you using iTunes to create your playlists? I have about 8-10 different playlists and when I launch the music player, there is a spot in the menu called playlists which allows you to choose which one you want to listen to.
  3. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I discovered that when listening to music using the included headphones:

1. Clicking the headphone button (the one you would use to answer/hang up a call from the headset) will pause the music.

2. Clicking it twice will advance to the next track.

I remember software I had for my Treo that mapped a bunch of music player functions to that button (i.e. Slow click then fast click = back 1 track, two slow clicks = reverse 30 seconds, etc..).
    I was initially disappointed in the volume of the Pre music player, and after comparing it to my iPod Photo 60 gb, I still am.

I've had the iPod Photo a few years and it is still, in its Agent18 hard clear case, a solid block of rock.

I have the UE Pro's earbuds and I can't imagine finding another combo any better.

My iPod Touch is a close second in quality and volume.

The Pre is definitely weaksauce compared to them, in volume anyway. It doesn't sound bad, but when you want to rock out, you just can't.
    Last edited by galavanter; 06/11/2009 at 02:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaihawk View Post
    Are you using iTunes to create your playlists? I have about 8-10 different playlists and when I launch the music player, there is a spot in the menu called playlists which allows you to choose which one you want to listen to.
    Nope. I use Jriver Media Center, whose sync feature is not working properly with my phone right now, which is surprising since the Pre basically acts simple usb drive. All Jriver does is copy the files over and dump a basic flat database file on the drive for tracking purposes. But for our discussion, this is irrelevant.

Could find the playlist files on your phone and tell me what file format they are in?

Thank you!
    Last edited by sheltem; 06/11/2009 at 02:31 PM.
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    I was initially disappointed in the volume of the Pre music player, and after comparing it to my iPod Photo 60 gb, I still am.

I've had the iPod Photo a few years and it is still, in its Agent18 hard clear case, a solid block of rock.

I have the UE Pro's earbuds and I can't imagine finding another combo any better.

My iPod Touch is a close second in quality and volume.

The Pre is definitely weaksauce compared to them, in volume anyway. It doesn't sound bad, but when you want to rock out, you just can't.
    Funny stuff.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheltem View Post
    Nope. I use Jriver Media Center, whose sync feature is not working properly with my phone right now, which is surprising since the Pre basically acts simple usb drive. All Jriver does is copy the files over and dump a basic flat database file on the drive for tracking purposes. But for our discussion, this is irrelevant.

Could find the playlist files on your phone and tell me what file format they are in?

Thank you!
    I don't have my USB chord here at the office, but will do so when I get home.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Okay, I just checked my Pre. It looks like it named one of my playlists as ZJai.mp3.
    i hate it that the little slider to put it on vibrate does not mute the music player. i loved it that on my treos and centro that silencer meant SILENCE.
    I am surprised at the lack of playlist support out of the box. I don't want to sync with iTunes. I'm happy with WMP. In fact, although I'm glad that sync with iTunes does work, I've been waiting a loooooong time for an alternative to the iPhone primarily because I don't like the idea of being boxed into iTunes. I was hoping, planning, to sync with my WMP collection.

That gripe out of the way, Pandora is all that! The guy at the Sprint store last Saturday morning would not rest until I tried it before leaving the store. I'm watching this thread for more info about a possible third party solution or other suggestions by those more knowledgeable than me. Thanks to all you digital media gurus who contribute!
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redbirdie View Post
    I am surprised at the lack of playlist support out of the box. I don't want to sync with iTunes. I'm happy with WMP. In fact, although I'm glad that sync with iTunes does work, I've been waiting a loooooong time for an alternative to the iPhone primarily because I don't like the idea of being boxed into iTunes. I was hoping, planning, to sync with my WMP collection.
    My thoughts exactly, except I use MediaMonkey. Please Palm, support m3u playlists!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Yes!!! We need a new player! I loved my pTunes! I also miss my TCPMP! I guess we are going to have to wait for a 3rd Party to come up with the good stuff....
    Yup. I may not be a media fanatic, but a little WMP-Pre love would be really great about now.
    Question for you guys: are you even getting your Pre to register in WMP as a media player? I asked this in another thread earlier, but haven't seen anything yet that worked.
    Some people were indicating that you had to choose "MEDIA SYNC" or "USB SYNC" upon connecting, but I have tried both, in several combinations, and haven't been able to get WMP to recognize it as a player. Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I want Ptunes for WebOS. Does Ptunes work with the Classic emulator?

According to this thread, Ptunes works on Classic + Pre
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...k-classic.html

Yes but you have to put the music in the Classic Apps folder instead of the AUDIO folder where the Palm is looking for it.
    I usually access my music by genre, and I hate that I can't select first by genre, then by artist, then by album, and then by song.

Instead, I search by genre, and that's it. Everything in that genre jumbled in there together.

Then I hate that I have no fine control of where I want the track to play. I listen to a lot of audio books, and I don't want to start at the beginning of each track.

The music player is really weak. I hope pTunes releases a player for this. I'd much rather use it.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bodine1231 View Post
    Until the Zune HD the Pre is going to be my primary MP3/Podcast player. Even after the Zune I plan on using the music player function alot. I'm on the road 6hrs a day so Podcasts are a big deal deal to me and the music software out of the box for the Pre just isn't cutting it. Here are a list of issues I have with the music player. The good news is that these are really easy to fix. In fact I expect most of these to be corrected within the first month.

Podcast not separated from music - obvious

No 'quick seek' function - When you load up a video you are able to skip to any moment during the movie. Having to hold down fast forward on a 2hr podcast is annoying at best.

No memory when you close a podcast - HUGE deal for me. On all my other players,when you stop a podcast and go to a song it remembers where you were when you come back to the podcast. On the Pre you have to remember where you were and fast forward to that point,annoying.
    Coming from a First Gen Zune which has phenomenal podcast support, I agree with your podcast comments. Right above Amazon, and below Playlists, there should be a Podcasts section. And podcasts should definitely remember their position like the iPod and Zune do.
    My understanding is that the Pre's player only shows art embedded in the MP3 files. JPEGs that are in the same folder as the audio files aren't considered, so they aren't needed on device. However, it still would be nice for the picture viewer to not index JPEGs that are in folders with audio files or that matched some common names used by Windows Media Player like AlbumArt.jpg.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    The Pre does recognize m3u playlists--it just doesn't seem to support subfolders called from within playlists. I moved all of my mp3s out of their subfolders into the main "music" folder on the Pre, and then created one big playlist for all of the songs.

It's a little crude and clumsy... but it works, and now I don't have to fumble around with my Pre every time I get to the end of an album. This will hold me over until Palm updates the native player.
    i miss the options that pocketunes offered like audio boost and fading
    also, streaming from radio stations such as IO and SKY
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast