Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Hey All,

I've manage to lock up two Pre's with this issue, so I figured I'd enlist some help/advice before needing to get yet another one (managed to save the 2nd one). I cannot upload pictures to my Pre without causing a permanent "Too many cards open"/"Critical Memory" issue along with an almost infinite reboot issue. I have thought it was because I uploaded pics with the Photos app open and because I had videos along with pictures, but I proved both of those wrong over the last few days. My next theories are that A) I'm uploading the pictures in the DCIM folder and the Pre doesn't like that for some reason, B) the Pre doesn't like some of my file names (there are some strange ones from the Sprint Pic Mail site with long character strings and some symbols like equal signs), or C) I'm uploading too many pics at one time (26MB). With all attempts, I had the Pre attached as a USB device. I am unfortunately now deathly afraid of trying anything that doesn't seem foolproof since it literally takes me a full day to finally get the SMS kill message to come through and do its thing. So if anyone has a clue to what I could be doing wrong or if you can tell me what you do that works, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I had the same problem. I now email myself the photos.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    hmm seems to be an odd problem. I have added pictures to my DCIM folder with no problems. Ive even loaded some 6 mb JPEG photos from my DSLR (along with some 12 MB raw files just to see if the Pre could support them. It doesnt). The 6 mb photos were a bit of overkill btw, took the pre about 8 seconds for the pre to render them cleanly on the screen.

I doubt its the folder but you could try creating your own folder for pictures, or you could try renaming your photos. To many at once? Maybe...
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I got brave and started trying again. I stayed in the DCIM folder, and I did 1 photo at a time, and that worked. I started doing 5 at a time, and that worked as well. 10 at a time also worked. It choked at 15 at a time (2.7MB). So if and when I get the Pre back working, I will try 5 and then 10 at a time from the same folder it choked on to make sure it isn't a specific file. This folder did not have any of the crazy file names though. One of the 5 at a time tries did have some crazy file names and they came over and were viewed fine. So that's where I'm at. I'll post an update later.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    Ok, it's got to be something with one (or several) of my photos. Problem is I have no idea what it could be. I moved 8 photos and it locked up. Oh well. Is there another way to sync up photos to the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by irateb View Post
    Hey All,

I've manage to lock up two Pre's with this issue, so I figured I'd enlist some help/advice before needing to get yet another one (managed to save the 2nd one). I cannot upload pictures to my Pre without causing a permanent "Too many cards open"/"Critical Memory" issue along with an almost infinite reboot issue. I have thought it was because I uploaded pics with the Photos app open and because I had videos along with pictures, but I proved both of those wrong over the last few days. My next theories are that A) I'm uploading the pictures in the DCIM folder and the Pre doesn't like that for some reason, B) the Pre doesn't like some of my file names (there are some strange ones from the Sprint Pic Mail site with long character strings and some symbols like equal signs), or C) I'm uploading too many pics at one time (26MB). With all attempts, I had the Pre attached as a USB device. I am unfortunately now deathly afraid of trying anything that doesn't seem foolproof since it literally takes me a full day to finally get the SMS kill message to come through and do its thing. So if anyone has a clue to what I could be doing wrong or if you can tell me what you do that works, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    SMS kill, u talking about the Palm wipe from online?
    takes a day to wipe out/reset the phone?
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    If your phone is responding somewhat normally, then no, it takes like 5 minutes (for the wipe to start, it takes like 20 minutes to get back to the initial setup screen). Since my phone was in an infinite reboot, sometimes the text would get missed. I have now learned to get the Palm wipe web page to the last click before the text gets sent, pull the battery (or either of the two soft resets will work), wait about 30 seconds, and then click to send the text. Alternately, if you set up AIM on the phone, log into your account via a PC and when you get that message about your account being logged on in more than one place, send it then.