Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay so last night i'm messing around with my phone and stumble upon data roaming. So I turn it because my battery usally lasts me through the day, so this shouldn't drain it too bad... Woke up and went to work today... 8:30-11:30. that's it. I texted a few times and... well. that's it. it just died. I have everything turned on and emails down to 5 min updates, but it usally always gets me through a 12-16 hour day without a problem and i'm using it a bunch more on those days to, obviously. So does anyone know if data roaming really destroyes my battery this bad?? or was is just a freak happening?
    Yea when the phone roams or has a weak signal it starts working harder to find one thus eating up battery.. also looks like hotmail is killing battery too.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...r-battery.html
    Quote Originally Posted by jknorr View Post
    Okay so last night i'm messing around with my phone and stumble upon data roaming. So I turn it because my battery usally lasts me through the day, so this shouldn't drain it too bad... Woke up and went to work today... 8:30-11:30. that's it. I texted a few times and... well. that's it. it just died. I have everything turned on and emails down to 5 min updates, but it usally always gets me through a 12-16 hour day without a problem and i'm using it a bunch more on those days to, obviously. So does anyone know if data roaming really destroyes my battery this bad?? or was is just a freak happening?
    Your Pre made it through a 16 hour day? Now I've heard everything.

I guess it's safe to say data roaming should be turned off.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Yea when the phone roams or has a weak signal it starts working harder to find one thus eating up battery.. also looks like hotmail is killing battery too.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...r-battery.html
    No hotmail is doing fine. I think it's just the data roaming. I have literally everything else turned on except the brightness is down all the was and that's it...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    Your Pre made it through a 16 hour day? Now I've heard everything.

I guess it's safe to say data roaming should be turned off.
    Just barely but yup 16 full hours... I was astonished because I had played with it a little bit too much that day too.
    No hotmail is doing fine. I think it's just the data roaming. I have literally everything else turned on except the brightness is down all the was and that's it...
    Data roaming shouldn't do that unless you are in an area of crappy sprint coverage, which there is a lot of. The Pre has a common issue with CDMA handsets of trying to flip between 1x, EVDO and VZ service when you are in a poor Sprint coverage area. This KILLS the battery as you have seen.

If you were in an area with no sprint coverage at all, it would not be a problem, or if you were in an area of excellent sprint coverage, it wouldn't be a problem.

I understand Palm is working on making the handet's roaming and transitioning a little less aggressive which should improve battery life at the expense of maintaining service in marginal areas, which with Sprint there are a lot of.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    If you were in an area with no sprint coverage at all, it would not be a problem, or if you were in an area of excellent sprint coverage, it wouldn't be a problem.
    Are you saying zero coverage = no significant drain in battery life? If you're in an area where you have no coverage and, your phone is on, it will deplete the battery faster than just about anything. At least, for me, that's been the case because the phone is constantly looking for a tower. That takes a ridiculous amount of juice.

I understand Palm is working on making the handet's roaming and transitioning a little less aggressive which should improve battery life at the expense of maintaining service in marginal areas, which with Sprint there are a lot of.
    Really? Palm acknowledged this problem? Do you have a link/source? So far all I can tell they're trying to do is medicate the problem instead of fix it (by giving out Airaves). I'm home less than half the month so that little 'remedy' isn't going to work for me.
    there are a LARGE group of people that have hotmail issues something about when they log in it's constantly going out and getting info/trying to do work.. I dont' have a hotmail account but there have been about 15 people that confirm it was their hotmail... they set up a gmail account and in the options had gmail receive their hotmail..

never hurts. i'll try and find a few posts.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I am considering getting that airave device. My home has very poor signal and the pre keeps hopping onto roaming and back to 1x (no EVDO in my area).

this chews through the battery like there's no tomorrow. If I go into town, the battery lasts much longer.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    Are you saying zero coverage = no significant drain in battery life? If you're in an area where you have no coverage and, your phone is on, it will deplete the battery faster than just about anything. At least, for me, that's been the case because the phone is constantly looking for a tower. That takes a ridiculous amount of juice.

Really? Palm acknowledged this problem? Do you have a link/source? So far all I can tell they're trying to do is medicate the problem instead of fix it (by giving out Airaves). I'm home less than half the month so that little 'remedy' isn't going to work for me.
    If you were in an area with no Sprint coverage, but good Verizon 1X or EVDO coverage (VZ is pretty much everywhere), then battery life should be fine. You'd be roaming, but not transitioning from network to network.

I doubt you were in an area with no signal at all. CDMA will not trying and contact a cell site if it can't hear the tower at all. Put your Pre in a sealed metal box for a day, and I'll bet the battery will be fine. Your issue is that you have a very weak signal from a cell site, and the Pre is yelling at the top of it's voice to try and make contact. This kills battery life.

Also, the way CDMA works, the handset is told to use less power if it's close to a base station to minimize interference and improve the capacity of calls the cell site can handle. So if you have a really good signal, the handset will use much less power on transmit even if it's in use a lot.

As for sources, I know people at Palm, and they mentioned this to me while I was giving them grief for such a half-assed EAS implementation. :-)

And yes, the airaves are flooding from sprint right now to deal with their lousy coverage. The main issue is that they only have EVDO running on their 1900 MHz PCS spectrum. That's fine for outside use, but for penetrating structure in the home it's WAY inferior than teh 850 Mhz spectrum that VZ and AT&T use for their 3G networks. And since AT&T and VZ basically won all the 700 Mhz spectrum the FCC auctioned last year, that advantage is only going to grow, not lessen.

If you tarvel a lot and stay in ares of marginal Sprint coverage, then you are basically screwed. Get an iPhone GS for now and wait for the Pre to show up on AT&T and VZ in January (see, I am no longer saying 6 months, because technically, it's closer to 7 months of exclusivity). :-)

Sprint basically sucks, and you are just suffereing with poor battery life because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I am considering getting that airave device. My home has very poor signal and the pre keeps hopping onto roaming and back to 1x (no EVDO in my area).

this chews through the battery like there's no tomorrow. If I go into town, the battery lasts much longer.
    Exactly. You are running into exactly the problem I am talking about. Go complain to Sprint how their network sucks compared to AT&T and VZ and they'll send you an airave for free, with no monthly charge. That will help a lot with battery life, even if you make no phone calls.
    I doubt you were in an area with no signal at all. CDMA will not trying and contact a cell site if it can't hear the tower at all. Put your Pre in a sealed metal box for a day, and I'll bet the battery will be fine. Your issue is that you have a very weak signal from a cell site, and the Pre is yelling at the top of it's voice to try and make contact. This kills battery life.
    Actually I do frequent areas with no CDMA coverage almost every week. Its places called Not North America and 30,000'. Perhaps it's phone specific, but I know for a fact that if I accidently leave my LG CDMA phone on in one of those two conditions it will die in just a couple hours; whereas, normally I can go three days without charging it.

And yes, the airaves are flooding from sprint right now to deal with their lousy coverage. The main issue is that they only have EVDO running on their 1900 MHz PCS spectrum. That's fine for outside use, but for penetrating structure in the home it's WAY inferior than teh 850 Mhz spectrum that VZ and AT&T use for their 3G networks. And since AT&T and VZ basically won all the 700 Mhz spectrum the FCC auctioned last year, that advantage is only going to grow, not lessen.
    Good point. I had forgotten Sprint's EVDO was tied to 1900Mhz only. That still doesn't explain why folks who previously enjoyed solid EVDO service in their home with a different Sprint phone now have issues with the Pre. I'm guessing if it's not a hardware defect then it has to be because they just tried to cram too much into such a small form factor.
    I get 1-2 bars at my house and I still am at ~40% after 14 hours. Thats with about 2 hours of web (1.5 hours on wifi), 20 mins on the phone, and getting and sending messages... so I'm guessing there's a lot more to it then reception.
    Benefits of living in NYC = Full bars pretty much everywhere I go.
    Man, I must be doing something wrong...14, 16 hours? My phone dies if it sits in my house without being used in less than 12 hours.

That is standby mode folks...no apps on, no phone calls, nothing.

I did a test...at 6:30pm it was full charged by USB. At midnight it was at 45%. By 7:20am (when I checked in the morning) it was completely dead...my guess is it was dead way earlier than that.

During that time I made all of 1 phone call for less than 5 minutes, no surfing, no nothing.

I shut down all my apps before going to bed...WTF?

Do I have a bad battery or something?

David
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingpenguin View Post
    Man, I must be doing something wrong...14, 16 hours? My phone dies if it sits in my house without being used in less than 12 hours.

I did a test...at 6:30pm it was full charged by USB. At midnight it was at 45%. By 7:20am (when I checked in the morning) it was completely dead...my guess is it was dead way earlier than that.

During that time I made all of 1 phone call for less than 5 minutes, no surfing, no nothing.

David
    What are you using for email? As mentioned earlier, hotmail & having it sync every 5 mins really crushes battery life. I had my wife's pre set to sync every 5 & she couldnt last more than 6 hours. Switched her yesterday to gmail pull from hotmail & gmail push to pre & she was at 30% after 16 hours of moderate use.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingpenguin View Post

David
    Do you have a GMail account tied to your Pre? If so, make sure that you check your chat/gtalk settings in the Messaging app to ensure that you're not "Available" unless you really need to be on-line for chatting. That can drain the battery too.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I solved my short battery life problem by getting rid of all the instant messaging accounts except for my sprint phone number. Once I did that, the phone would make it through the night. I've started turning services back on (GPS, WiFi) and haven't noticed a big hit on the battery.
    Also, I have a Hotmail account and have not noticed any battery issues with it.
    I am finding this thread amusing given all the fanboy abuse the AT&T network and iPhone have been receiving in this forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast