Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not ranting about the device, they made it the way they made it, I accept that. I just wonder for most people was the physical keypad/slider the real selling point?
    I just imagine this device with no slider and think it would of been the bomb. The simplicity of it's form would of been really cool.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I do think the keyboard was necessary. There is a large group of the population that absolutely REFUSES to use a virtual keyboard.
    I would rather they make the keyboard a bit bigger if they wanted to go the physical keyboard route. Otherwise, I prefer an onscreen keyboard.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    What do you guys think about a keyboard that slides out in landscape mode? Similiar to the G1.
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    i like the slider I just wish they made it a little bigger.
    so an onscreen keyboard would be like the size of the diamonds keyboard....thats kinda small also
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    I was playing with my Ipod touch next to my pre and as it stands now the virtual keyboard on my touch is slightly larger the the physical keyboard on the pre. I will miss keys on my touch maybe like 5-10% of the time. That is partly because i have big fingers and partly because i dont use it often enough to get fully accustomed to it.

I could only imagine the errors I would make on a virtual keyboard on the pre with its smaller screen. Even in landscape mode thats not a lot of real estate.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alundre View Post
    I do think the keyboard was necessary. There is a large group of the population that absolutely REFUSES to use a virtual keyboard.
    they should try them. virtual keyboards are going to be the way of the future as they are dynamic and intelligent; save space and weight. Im trying to get used to this hardware keyboard, but it's a lot slower for me than the iphone virtual keyboard.
    while i agree that a virtual keyboard does allow for flexibility that a physical keyboard cannot compete with, there is one thing that the pre does with the physical keyboard that i simply can't live without: type to search/go online.

this is such a powerful way of using the phone that i have been waiting for forever. palm has smartly take into consideration the moment users start *thinking* about pulling out their phone and doing something with it, and optimizes that workflow so that it is extremely efficient to get there. apple's approach, on the other hand, starts at the moment an app is launched and ends when the app is closed and users move on to another app. the differences in their approach is why using the pre just feels so much more natural and why the name "pre" is so apt for this phone.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    while i agree that a virtual keyboard does allow for flexibility that a physical keyboard cannot compete with, there is one thing that the pre does with the physical keyboard that i simply can't live without: type to search/go online.

this is such a powerful way of using the phone that i have been waiting for forever. palm has smartly take into consideration the moment users start *thinking* about pulling out their phone and doing something with it, and optimizes that workflow so that it is extremely efficient to get there. apple's approach, on the other hand, starts at the moment an app is launched and ends when the app is closed and users move on to another app. the differences in their approach is why using the pre just feels so much more natural and why the name "pre" is so apt for this phone.
    I agree.. the Palm setup is very nice, and could have also been accomplished with a virtual keyboard. Gesture to pull it up.. type.. navigate, launch etc. Maybe one day they'll make hardware with a virtual keyboard.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    The entire reason I never bought an iPhone was because there was no physical keyboard. Period. Otherwise, I would probably have gotten one years ago. And I've tried to use it on my friend's iPhone. Just no luck. Took me forever to type anything out.

I wish the Pre's would come out the other way, too (so it comes out the side), cause these buttons are tiny. But oh well. Better than a virtual keyboard.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Coming from a moto Q to the Pre the physical keyboard was a huge selling point for me. Even more so in that it's a normal pda keyboard and not landscape. I've had no problem getting myself accustomed to the new keyboard. Remembering I have the touch screen catches me every once in a while though.
    #1 reason i've never gone the iphone route is lack of physical keyboard, so yes.
    I needed it. I was very happy with the Treo/Centro keyboard as a compromise. I used grafitti back in the day. Don't think a touchscreen will work well on the Pre's screen, but I'm sure we'll find out soon. From a form factor standpoint, it would have been nice, but less practical.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Yeah it was. I don't like virtual keyboards either. I like to feel the keys and kind of type blind when used to the keyboard.

But I have to say the Pre keyboard takes a while to get used to. It's so much smaller than the landscape keyboard I'm used to.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I would have liked to have seen a mockup of a non slider treo style device, but im liking the slider; I hope it becomes tighter in later iterations.

that said, i would like a touchscreen kb added just for the option-maybe t9 to keep in line w/ the smaller screen
    Quote Originally Posted by richcracker View Post
    #1 reason i've never gone the iphone route is lack of physical keyboard, so yes.
    Ditto. Or at least one of the major reasons ive never bought an iphone.
    I notice that iphone users are typically not big texters or emailers...at least compatered to treo and blackberry users (and now pre). They say they don't "need" it, but I think people adapt to what is easy. You don't here of any "crack"iphoners, and I don't think it is a coincidence.

Iphone is a media consumption device. Treo, pre, blackberries are primarily communication devices, and such use real keyboards.
    Quote Originally Posted by zhackwyatt View Post
    What do you guys think about a keyboard that slides out in landscape mode? Similiar to the G1.
    I'm one that refuses to get an onscreen keyboard so ya it was a selling point.

As for size, i'm coming from a helio ocean and landscape qwerty. That is definitely easier to type on but i'm actually pretty good at this keyboard already, a little more practice and I'll probably just as efficient. The hardest part is the symbols being in different locations. What I do like better about the pre's key board is it's a lot easier to type 1 handed. That was pretty tricky with the ocean.
    physical keyboard is definitely a selling point. also, landscape slide-outs are impossible to use one-handed.

If the pre utilized the center button as a trackball like the blackberry, then i think it'd be perfect! as it is, the center button is kind of useless and a waste of space.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast