Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    A dumb thread. Of course it was necessary. Palm will always have a kb.
  2. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior View Post
    I'm not ranting about the device, they made it the way they made it, I accept that. I just wonder for most people was the physical keypad/slider the real selling point?
    I just imagine this device with no slider and think it would of been the bomb. The simplicity of it's form would of been really cool.
    I hate virtual keyboards. So I wouldn't buy it without a REAL keyboard.
  3.    #43  
    Thanks! Some good observations about the keypad. Maybe they'll throw a virtual keypad in to attract a even wider audience.
    They've talked about creating multiple Web OS products. Now in the past, they've talked about multiple Treo products, only to find out that they all were pretty much the same. Personally, I hope for their sake that they experiment with some truly different designs. You could have the pre, another model with a slide-out landscape keyboard, another model like an iPhone (larger screen and just a virtual keyboard), another model more like a Treo with an always-exposed keyboard (and I personally think they could pull this off even with a rectangular 320x480 screen). Hopefully they've got the OS functionality already built-in to allow for D-Pad support and some additional hard buttons for a Treo-styled device that doesn't require tapping on the screen as much.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I would prefer something like this:

or this

They could have a Pre and a Pre Pro or Pre Biz. Just give us options.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior View Post
    I'm not ranting about the device, they made it the way they made it, I accept that. I just wonder for most people was the physical keypad/slider the real selling point?
    I just imagine this device with no slider and think it would of been the bomb. The simplicity of it's form would of been really cool.
    I suspect you will see a less expensive Centro type WebOS device come out that has a form factor closer to a Centro or Blackberry...with an exposed keypad. They may even come out with a Enterprise version like that. The current hidden keypad does make the phone very sleek...when closed....not so much when open.
    I'm a physical keyboard guy as well. But regardless of that, I also think it was a good marketing move: a casual user can see an immediate difference between the Pre and the iPhone, even before getting into the multi-tasking / synergy details.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetThug View Post

or this

I don't know if they would sell, or even be possible, simply because of the screen size issues that would arise. The trend is for larger screens (thanks to the iPhone), and there are many other non-WebOS options for those who prefer that form factor.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by zhackwyatt View Post
    What do you guys think about a keyboard that slides out in landscape mode? Similiar to the G1.
    I absolutely HATE landscape slide keyboards. I happen to think that the Pre keyboard is almost perfect...small, but not too small...vertical slider...true one-handed operation.

Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I don't know if they would sell, or even be possible, simply because of the screen size issues that would arise. The trend is for larger screens (thanks to the iPhone), and there are many other non-WebOS options for those who prefer that form factor.
    Not possible!?!??! I dont see why Palm couldnt offer several phones with different form factors, just like every other manufacturer, minus apple.

Also, a pre with the keyboard out is the same length as the samsung saga (the blue phone pictured above). Replace the saga's full keyboard with something a little bigger than the pre's and you'd get the same screen size as the pre, if not bigger.

Not everybody wants a sleek phone with only one exposed button.
    Not possible!?!??! I dont see why Palm couldnt offer several phones with different form factors, just like every other manufacturer, minus apple.

Also, a pre with the keyboard out is the same length as the samsung saga (the blue phone pictured above). Replace the saga's full keyboard with something a little bigger than the pre's and you'd get the same screen size as the pre, if not bigger.

Not everybody wants a sleek phone with only one exposed button.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Landscape keyboards suck!!! i dont want to have to turn my phone every damn time i need to type anything. one of the things i hated about my mogul
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I think this should be a poll. It will be inaccurate because most people here have used Palm devices for a while, but I would be interested to see the results.

For the record, a physical keyboard was necessary for me. It's one of the primary reasons I never contemplated buying an iPhone (AT&T being another).
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    Landscape keyboards suck!!! i dont want to have to turn my phone every damn time i need to type anything. one of the things i hated about my mogul
    Agreed. I'll take a slightly long phone with a slightly squished keyboard instead. Mostly, I just want more buttons, I don't care how they do it. :-P
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts

or this

If you want a Phone that isn't sleek and has multiple buttons for numerous features then buy a blackberry or a winmo/htc phone.
    The Pre is and will be what it is.
    I think the physical keyboard is a must have kind of thing, but i also think having a landscape keyboard would also be nice.

I wouldnt be surprised if something like that would happen in the future because Android 1.5 added the on screen keyboard in stead of only the physical one.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I agree with everyone here that said they never got an iPhone because of the lack of physical keyboard and of course AT&T.

I hate horizontal sliders for one weird reason: they just seem kind of little kiddish to me. I always see jr high to high school aged kids with a horizontal slider phone typing away like their neck is glued down.

Anyways the vertical slider is working out just fine for me. I think it looks more professional than a horizontal slider too.
    With the Eos you compromise on screen size a lot. It's only 2.63". That's getting way too small for a touchscreen. That's 15% smaller than the Pre. But if that's the form factor you want then there you go.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    If you want a Phone that isn't sleek and has multiple buttons for numerous features then buy a blackberry or a winmo/htc phone.
    The Pre is and will be what it is.
    That, or the next WebOS phone:

So how fast can you type on the pre?
    forums.precentral.net/palm-pre/185122-mobile-typing-test-results.html
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast