Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    First things first. Got my Pre last Friday night here in Chicago. Only one "flaw" and that's one pixel that's a lovely shade of red. Other than that, damned impressive for a new model/OS. I've been on Palm since the Pilot days, have had CE machines, Casios, 700W's,etc. Many of my employees and co-workers have iPhones (because they owned iPods and it was a natural move). Everyone is impressed with this thing. Perfect? Hardly. I'm glad I made the switch...and knew full well that early adopters are guinea pigs.

OK...now for my question. I searched here and on the Palm support community and can't find the answer. I have 3 email accounts; my EAS corp account, a Gmail account I rarely use and my AOL account. On my AOL account, when I look at my "favorites" (my AOL inbox is one of them), I see the little circle with a 3 in it which I THINK means there are 3 unread emails in there. There aren't. There are none. In fact, I went through all my AOL folders and made sure everything was marked "read". I've opted for snyc "show email" to be 1 day. I "get mail" each hour. I can't figure out how to clear the 3 or why it thinks there are 3 sitting out there. Oh...and I also have cleared everything via my laptop so my AOL account is definitely cleared out.

Thoughts??

Thanks-

bj
    This happens to me with GMAIL. If i read the e-mail on a PC, it stills shows unread messages on the pre and I have to go through every e-mail one by one and clear it. very annoying. Sorry, I have no advice for you.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    same here with hotmail. annoying.
    Got the same problem using AOL!
    I thought I woild weigh in here. I had the same problem with an AIM email account (basically AOL but a little different imap file structure). I chose to use them because of the imap working well w/ chattermail.... Anyway, I did all the clearing of every folders on my computer the make sure their were no unread mails and nothing worked. That account has over 1000 emails in it and I had it set to all instead of a certain time frame. I ended up deleting the account from the Pre and resetting it. Then I added it the account back and set it to 30 days instead of all. Voila it corrected the miscount of unread messages. I haven't set it back to all yet to see if it is the amount of mail that caused or if but I'll try that this weekend. Good luck!
    I have seen this issue a few times with my AOL email account set up on my Pre. But by the end of the day it cleared itself. So it is a flaw but it works itself out in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
    I have seen this issue a few times with my AOL email account set up on my Pre. But by the end of the day it cleared itself. So it is a flaw but it works itself out in the end.
    Mine actually didnt. I gave it days and it never fixed itself but that fact that yours did gives hope that its just a glitch for most people and mine was just an isolated incident.
    if you just go into your email app and hit refresh it will do it for you. you don't have to manually open or delete each one. i just clear the notification off my screen and next time you access the app it auto refreshes and the count is fixed..
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis9389 View Post
    if you just go into your email app and hit refresh it will do it for you. you don't have to manually open or delete each one. i just clear the notification off my screen and next time you access the app it auto refreshes and the count is fixed..
    We realize that is the way its supposed to work. The OP created this thread to ask for help with a function of the phone that is NOT working properly. BTW unless u have a pop account setup or you have set the account to manual on the Pre you shouldn't have to hit refresh to clear your count. it should be automatic. Thanks for offering help though.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherwayne View Post
    We realize that is the way its supposed to work. The OP created this thread to ask for help with a function of the phone that is NOT working properly. BTW unless u have a pop account setup or you have set the account to manual on the Pre you shouldn't have to hit refresh to clear your count. it should be automatic. Thanks for offering help though.
    actually no wise ***.. i think you are wrong. its still a bug.. b/c i will have notification of say 25 emails on my phone that wont go away even though i read them all.. thats the bug.
    Mature... I usual find that those of limited intelligence when questioned resort to name calling as a knee jerk reaction I guess its a sign of insecurity. I very clearly said said in reference to the poster who say that it eventually goes away that mine did not and that I was glad that his did because it means it just a glitch (AKA BUG) and something was wrong on my Pre specifically and the way the aim account was added to it.

Then you pipe in to say you have to hit refresh to clear the count on a phone that is marketed most prevalently as a NOW phone because it automatically keep up w/ things like that for you. The opening and closing of things that we referred to was going to our computer to make sure there were no unread emails hiding in a folder that the Pre doesn't automatically show you the count of. Maybe you do not understand this because you think you have to press refresh for updates to an imap account but it doesn't make it any less true. I know that ur email notifications aren't going away that is the point of the thread but they are supposed to. In order for mine to be accurate I had to reload the account. Lastly, I was very genuine in thanking you offering a solution albeit wrong because we are all still learning here and that's what this community is about, as genuine as I am being now when I tell you to get your feelings of your shoulders and thoroughly read the posts before you name call and defend positions that are irrelevant. Geez

PS: In the spirit of this community I will tell you mine was doing exactly what yours is doing and it also did not tell the server that the email had been read if it was opened on the Pre. When I would log in on the computer all the email I had previous read would show as unread. As soon as I uninstalled and reloaded the account this behavior resolved itself too.
    Last edited by fatherwayne; 06/25/2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Grammar
    It's annoying and it is a bug. Compacting an IMAP folder from your PC will clear the bogus unread count immediately. The Pre's count is including deleted but not expunged/compacted emails.
    Hi myboysherman, That makes complete sense. It used to happen in chatter too until I ticked the setting. "Expunge upon delete". I think my account still loaded wrong because like I said it wouldn't clear for days unless AOL only expunges at long intervals. Then it would make sense.
    Forgive me not knowing but what does compacting mean?
    From the Palm Pre, go to the Email app>tap on Inbox, that displays the list of emails, hit onthe Sync button at the lower right handside and that will correct the wrong count, it will also reflect the changes that you've made on your emails on the computer.
    Last edited by Alexa007; 12/03/2009 at 12:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    i wish everything was that simple