Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Has anyone else noticed that the wifi signal strength isnt necessarily great. I am pretty close to my router and my pre only says I have one bar of strength. Upstairs I have none. My iPhone has 3 bars at both locations. Any tricks or ideas? I have tried resetting the device without any improvement. Thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Where can I find the mac address of my Pre? I currently have my router locked down.
    Device Info > More Info > Listed under phone / Wi-Fi
    Mine seems to work okay. I've been at a clients location in a server closet and still showed okay signal. I do wish there was a way to see what the actual signal strength is.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Awesome! Thanks! I'll ad it to my Wi-Fi now and test.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Thanks. I am curious what people find. I was surprised that I didnt have signal upstairs - but I do have an apple router and an iphone that I am comparing it to. I dont know if that has something to do with it
    I get poor wifi signal as well. At least according to the 'bars' it's showing me despite being very close to my router.
    I get GREAT signal with my DIR-655.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    You can crank up the default power by using DD-WRT or Tomato firmwares.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Well, I am sitting three feet away from my router. I decided to switch the wifi on since my battery just plummetted from 57 percent to 25 percent in 20 minutes. I'm *not* using any applications. The phone is totally NOT in use at all. I have all of the better battery settings like GPS/Wifi off.

So, I am assuming this is a signal issue. But, I don't have this issue in my office very often. So, I just switched on the wifi and now the signal indicator bars are bouncing all over the place. Three feet from the router.

Any ideas? In the time it took me to post this the battery dropped to 24 percent.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    How are you checking the signal strength? Doesn't the bars display show the strength of the cellular connection regardless of whether there is wifi?

My phone is currently showing 1 bar but I get very good transfer rates here by my router and using very little power.
    I actually get full WiFi signal in my room upstairs where as my computer in the same room is at 50-60% i dont get it lol
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Are you guys looking at the cell signal bars thinking that in WiFi mode they are WiFi bars? Those are for your cell signal, not WiFi. Switch off the cell (Airplane Mode) and then put WiFi on and you'll see - no signal bars.

That being said, WiFi on my Pre is great. I don't have any problems in large houses and even outside of them! It was great being able to sit by the pool and surf (the Internet, that is; it isn't a wave pool!). The networks are Wireless-N (backwards-compatible, of course).
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Wifi on mine is great as well... I get great distance with a linksys router.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    My wifi as shown on the pre is no different than what my laptop shows for the different areas of the house. Seems to have great reception.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I have no issues with getting a signal from my crappy linksys router. I would also say it has about the same reception as my laptop.
    To Honor With Dignity- USAF Honor Guard
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    yea. . linksys is very crappy .. mine always gives me problems... but the wifi signal is pretty good for my phone.
    After I got my new Pre replacement finally my wifi works correctly.