Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    When the hell is this thing getting released in Canada? I want it so bad and I can't wait.

I need to get rid of my storm and get the pre right away.

Does anyone know the release date for Bell?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    bump
    Hello !!!
    Me too !!! I would known when I can buy one in CANADA !!!
    Does someone have this secret information !!! ??? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by PreBot View Post
    When the hell is this thing getting released in Canada? I want it so bad and I can't wait.

I need to get rid of my storm and get the pre right away.

Does anyone know the release date for Bell?

atleast you have a storm, i have been waiting since January for this...

My phone broke in nobemeber, waited until january for my contract to finish, then the pre got announced, and i have been waiting for this....

It's prob coming out in July.
    Hi there.

I'm pretty excited about the pre coming to Canada "sometime in the summer" and I have a couple of questions. But first, I'm not that technically inclined when it comes to smart phones.

Anyway, right now my employer pays for my blackberry and it's on Bell Mobility, who will be the carrier for the pre in Canada. What are the odds that I'll be able to trade in my crappy blackberry for a pre and have it work with our network? I can tell you that we run MS-Exchange, so all inbound mail shows up on my crackberry and in outlook on my laptop and I can get more technical details if I require them but I'm curious if anyone out there would have an idea if I have a chance of doing this.

I guess my second question concerns other's experience with the pre in a pure business environment. Does anyone know of any companies who have provided their employees with pre's? If so, how is it working out so far?

gravitas
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    My fellow Canadians, I have some very good news for you. While our neighbours to the south have been able to enjoy the hot new Palm Pre for well over a month, we’ve been left out in cold thus far. Well, it seems that times are finally going to change and they’re going to change for the better.

We already knew that Bell Mobility would have the exclusive Canadian launch of the Palm Pre and we were told that this would happen some time in the second half of 2009. That’s a pretty vague release window. It was learned today, however, that Bell Mobility has started training its staff on the Palm Pre, how to sell it, and how to service it.

This can only mean one thing, of course: the Palm Pre launch is imminent and Bell wants all of its staffers to fully understand how to best approach the new webOS-powered smartphone. They wouldn’t start the training until they knew for sure, right? Since training only started today, I’m guessing the launch won’t be until middle of next month at the earliest.

The training commences today in Calgary then it expands on over to Vancouver tomorrow, Toronto on Thursday, and then Montreal on the 27th. It’s a one-week blitz of Palm Pre internal marketing training. Bell hasn’t disclosed the locations, since they don’t want us lowly bloggers to crash the party.
    Palm Pre Training Begins at Bell Mobility | Mobile Magazine
    EverythingPre picked it up too.

Bell Employees Begin Palm Pre Training

But it makes me wonder why HSPA training is bundled together. Could it mean that Bell is actually launching the HSPA version as well??
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    I dont think anyone really cares about Canada.

Just kidding.
    Oh Canada uses cell phones too? how cute.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    EverythingPre picked it up too.

Bell Employees Begin Palm Pre Training

But it makes me wonder why HSPA training is bundled together. Could it mean that Bell is actually launching the HSPA version as well??
    Would HSPA require anything different in the Pre's hardware? It was my understanding that HSPA is just an upgrade to a CDMA network. If so, could it be that the Pre will be Bell's star in demonstrating their newly upgraded network?
    HSPA is UMTS-based. It's WCDMA but it's NOT CDMA we come to know, it's built on GSM. Bell and Telus has been partnering in building an overlay HSPA network for the longest time.

High Speed Packet Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Universal Mobile Telecommunications System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    HSPA is UMTS-based. It's WCDMA but it's NOT CDMA we come to know, it's built on GSM. Bell and Telus has been partnering in building an overlay HSPA network for the longest time.

High Speed Packet Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Universal Mobile Telecommunications System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Does that negate the need for LTE? And if so, why are U.S. GSM telecoms going in the LTE direction instead?
    HSPA is a stepping stone for LTE. That's what Bellus is doing as well.

GSM, HSPA, LTE, all on the same path under 3GPP.

Hey all,

I just got back from the Bell store to pre-order my own palm pre. When I got to the store the rep said that there had been a lot of people asking about the pre but that I might be the first actual pre order. It has only been one day since the pre-order was announced, though.

Hopefully the demand picks up!

Any other Canadians out there with a pre-order?
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitaserum View Post
    Hi there.

I'm pretty excited about the pre coming to Canada "sometime in the summer" and I have a couple of questions. But first, I'm not that technically inclined when it comes to smart phones.

Anyway, right now my employer pays for my blackberry and it's on Bell Mobility, who will be the carrier for the pre in Canada. What are the odds that I'll be able to trade in my crappy blackberry for a pre and have it work with our network? I can tell you that we run MS-Exchange, so all inbound mail shows up on my crackberry and in outlook on my laptop and I can get more technical details if I require them but I'm curious if anyone out there would have an idea if I have a chance of doing this.

I guess my second question concerns other's experience with the pre in a pure business environment. Does anyone know of any companies who have provided their employees with pre's? If so, how is it working out so far?

gravitas
    OK, so no one has any opinions on this at all? It comes down to one question: Can I trade in my hated blackberry for a Pre and expect exchange synchronization to work?
    I'm using a Pre now with synchronization with my work exchange server. The full HTML email support just 100 times better than any other device, including my Curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by yirong View Post
    I'm using a Pre now with synchronization with my work exchange server. The full HTML email support just 100 times better than any other device, including my Curve.
    Ok, that's good to know. I notice that I can't view HTML messages very well on my blackberry.

Did you have to set up the synchronization or did your work IT people do it?
    The Pre works great with Exchange, but your IT department has to allow non-Blackberry devices to connect, and you would have to know your login information. Some companies have very restrictive policies with regard to mobile devices. But many do not, so you have a good chance of getting it to work. You can try asking your IT guys about connecting to the Exchange server via EAS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    The Pre works great with Exchange, but your IT department has to allow non-Blackberry devices to connect, and you would have to know your login information. Some companies have very restrictive policies with regard to mobile devices. But many do not, so you have a good chance of getting it to work. You can try asking your IT guys about connecting to the Exchange server via EAS.
    OK, thanks. I can absolutely get ahold of my login info.

So EAS is Exchange ActiveSync, (Microsoft technology). It apparently is embedded directly into Palm’s WebOS and Apple’s iPhone OS.

From doing a little reading it seems that EAS implementation on the pre and Android aren't as far along as on the iphone. The iphone can enforce things like password usage and settings like password complexity, expirations and history. The pre can't. Yet.

Apparently EAS won't alleviate all enterprise management needs either - it doesn't handle things like firmware management and encryption.

I guess if my IT admins don't mind that firmware upgrades are taken out of their hands (being delivered from the operator) and that EAS provides no encryption, they should be good with an EAS-powered solution. They're a somewhat easygoing bunch and I work in IT anyway.

Now ... if i can just get my employer to foot the $200 bill for the pre ...

FYI,
    I got most of my info from this article: eweekeurope.co.uk/knowledge/iphone--android--pre--are-the-new-smartphones-business-ready--

Sorry, can't quote the link yet - I don't have enough posts on the forum.

gs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast