View Poll Results: Should you exchange, [Because] ?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes exchange because of dead pixels

8 50.00%
  • Don't exchange, accept the dead pixels

6 37.50%
  • Yes exchange because of Screen Scratches

0 0%
  • Don't exchange, accept the Screen Scratches

1 6.25%
  • Yes exchange because of Wireless issues

0 0%
  • Don't exchange, accept the Wireless issues

1 6.25%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I think Best Buy might be a bit better about customer service. No problems at all when I asked them if they can do anything about my first Pre's creaky door. I was actually surprised when they suggested an exchange so fast. I thought they would just order me a new door.

I'm not sure why the 30 days should be an issue if I've only had this phone for 2 weeks.

In any case, no other problems so far, I think I'll just live with this for now and not risk getting a phone with more serious problems.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I've noticed that my pre (2nd one I've owned) has developed scratches below the keyboard on the lip of the phone from sliding as well. The slider is very tight on it, with no oreo effect at all. It does wiggle slightly on one side, only when the phone is closed and has about 2 small stuck pixels that are only slightly noticeable on dark backgrounds.

Overall, the scratches are the only thing that really bothers me with the phone. But if it is a trade-off from having having the oreo effect, I think I would rather have the scratches.

By the sounds of the rest of the issues the pre is having, I think mine is solid overall (build date: 7/1/09) and will probably end up keeping this one. However, I still have about 4 days left in my 30 day window from Best Buy so I guess I need to make up my mind fast.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Yes, the slight scratching on the lip of your pre where it comes in constant contact with another portion of the pre is definite cause for concern.

I would be VERY embarassed is someone was to see a scratch on the bottom edge of the lip of my pre. Luckily, I've looked very closely, and I can't quite tell if there is any scrates, because the lip isn't really a smooth surface.

But by golly, if I start to see any noticeable scratches, it's definitely going back.
    ^^^Agreed!! When two plastic pieces come into constant contact all day, there should NO scratches whatsoever. I will return my phone the instant I see a slight scratch on the part of the phone that rubs against the other part every time the slider is opened. IMO there should no fingerprints in this phone either, what's with that? I try make a call or browse the web and there's a big fingerprint in the way. I'm getting less and less pleased with this phone as time goes by.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Do you feel cool now? Cause you are if you don't.

I had a Motorola Rizr for 2 years and somehow the phone never managed to scratch itself. Unless Palm hears of these things, they'll never know to improve things.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Having a nice "tight" (no oreo effect) phone would nice, but mine oreos a bit and has scratches. All along the bottom lip, the top side on the back and two track marks on the mirror running up the sides. I believe that having it in my pocket after a while it may tend to "grind" the two pieces together slightly but it looks mainly like sliding up and down scratches. This is my 3rd Pre and I'm over the exchange inconvenience even though now I have a stuck pixel too. The last time I went to the Sprint store, the manager stated that Palm told him that a slight oreo effect is normal for this slider phone. I rolled my eyes and left. My current phone does not shut off when closing, and the software has been 90% solid, a weekly reset keeps that in check. Should I expect perfection? We all know by now the answer is NO.

Please update this if you exchange for scratches and let us know if things have improved. I know things have changed in design but as to how much beyond a new home button color, padding to make the battery tighter I'm just not sure...
    Hello,
    Sorry if this has been posted before -- my Pre was manufactured July 17th but isn't one of the "silver middle button, foam padding" variety. However, it works great with no problems, absolutely minimal wobble, no Oreo effect, no hiccups, and no slowdowns.

Should I still exchange my phone for a hardware-refreshed one? My 30 initial days are about to expire, and I'm worried about missing out on this initial refresh cycle.
    Why would you exchange it if it doesn't have any problems? Keep your current Pre.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    If you have minimal wobble and no problems, then don't exchange O_O
    A good one is hard to find these days, and what do you guys mean by a silvery button? Mine was manufactured on July 22nd, and the button looks pretty silver to me, but yet there is no foam piece around the battery (unless it's so small that I can't see it).
    Dude, keep the phone. There's nothing wrong with it at all..
    Yours doesn't have a silver middle button? Mine was built before yours and has that.
    I wouldn't call a piece of foam a slightly different color button (which could just be the plastic supplier) and better quality control a hardware refresh. Unless the rails, frame, or board of the phone have been changed, it isn't a different hardware version. It's the same one just made by people who have had alot more practice now.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I got mine a little over a month ago. I love it! But recently it started doing a few things that really bother me.

1. A COUPLE times a day it will set the clock back a half hour. Randomly. Was almost late to work because of this (woke up, set the alarm to go off in another 15 minutes, in this time the pre set it's clock back).

2. Randomly turns off. I'll go to hit the power button to get back on it and it's off. Happened 4 or 5 times in the past 2 days.

3. All the sudden, I need an internet connection in places where I'd have my wi-fi off. Such as the toilet, lol. Or driving down the road. Now it wants me to turn on my wi-fi. ***? Am I missing something?

So I am very tempted to exchange this for a new one, mostly for reasons 1 and 2. There are alot of other small things that bother me with my pre but 1 and 2 are VERY annoying!
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d4rk3 View Post
    I got mine a little over a month ago. I love it! But recently it started doing a few things that really bother me.

1. A COUPLE times a day it will set the clock back a half hour. Randomly. Was almost late to work because of this (woke up, set the alarm to go off in another 15 minutes, in this time the pre set it's clock back).

2. Randomly turns off. I'll go to hit the power button to get back on it and it's off. Happened 4 or 5 times in the past 2 days.

3. All the sudden, I need an internet connection in places where I'd have my wi-fi off. Such as the toilet, lol. Or driving down the road. Now it wants me to turn on my wi-fi. ***? Am I missing something?

So I am very tempted to exchange this for a new one, mostly for reasons 1 and 2. There are alot of other small things that bother me with my pre but 1 and 2 are VERY annoying!
    See if you can find the cause of number 2. See if it shuts off when closing the slider, cause you can definitely get it replaced for that. It will make the exchange process much faster and smoother if you can recreate in front of a Sprint rep your situation.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Yes exchange it while you still can!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Good call. I appreciate that, I was reading threads and noticed that was happening to others. So far, my phone doesn't seem to be shutting off from the slider tho
    Last edited by d4rk3; 09/22/2009 at 11:21 PM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    The turning off is almost definitely your battery. Easily solved by a store ordering you a new one at no cost. When it is asking for an internet connection it is looking for either evdo or wifi. So like when your in the car obviously you dont have wifi but if you also don't have evdo then it may say that it requires an internet connection.

No clue about the clock through. Also if you are past 30 days it would be exchanged for a reconditioned one under the manufacturers warranty and policies and technicaly only if they can duplicate the issues. #3 is just education. #2 is a battery. Unless the tech duplicates #1 or they are 100% within policy to not exchange it. They would in that case want to do a hard reset likely and have you try it out for a while longer,
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Thank you What is EVDO? I've noticed that come up next to my bars many of times, but never researched what it meant?
    Quote Originally Posted by d4rk3 View Post
    Thank you What is EVDO? I've noticed that come up next to my bars many of times, but never researched what it meant?
    Its the network Sprint uses for it's phones.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast