Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I have a white box with nothing on the sides.
    5/27 on 1.01 at the time.

Don't really have any serious issues other then reception in the house.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    I have a white box with nothing on the sides.
    5/27 on 1.01 at the time.

Don't really have any serious issues other then reception in the house.
    No, they're referring to that plastic sleeve the box was in. Also, on the Pre, the box with the black sided sleeve has a flower picture on the screen of the phone, vs the yellow sided sleeved box has a sunset on the screen of the phone.
    All the people who posted before the date thing was mentioned.. can you chime in again and let us know your date? Especially the ones who have the statement/claim that their new yellow boxed phone has "no issues" vs their black boxed version. Thanks
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    My original Pre that I purchased on Saturday came in the Flower box and had the heat spotting issue, a dead pixel, and a speck of something trapped under the screen. So, I went to my sprint store yesterday to swap it out. The first one they gave me was in the flower box and it had the heat spotting issue at the bottom of the screen, 2 circles to be precise. I had them swap it yet again and the third one came in the sunset box. This one has no heat spotting issues and I initially thought it was perfect. After further review last night at my house I have noticed a few dead pixels that show up on black backgrounds. I am starting to wonder if a perfect palm pre screen even exists. The manufactering date on mine is 6/1/2009 and it still has issues. I may try to live with this one or possibly swap it out again in a few more weeks.

I just wish Palm would make a statement or at least acknowledge the fact that they have some type of manufacturing problem. A friend of mine is on his second pre and he has had the heat spotting issue on both of his. He is currently waiting on his store to get some more in so he can attempt another swap as well. I absolutely love the phone and can wait on the software to mature but it shouldn't be this difficult to get a Pre Screen with no issues.

If my experience is the norm with the sunset box then maybe they have addressed the heat spotting, but the dead/stuck pixels are still there.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    where do you find the manufacturer date. I did the ## code thing but none of the things listed indicate manufacturer date. Should I be looking at the WARRANTYDATECODE? If so, mine is 6/2/09 and I have had not problems so far.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Sean, have you inspected your screen in the dark on a black background. Just curious to see if you have any dead/stuck pixels... I have yet to see a pre that didn't have at least one. My wife's phone came in the flower box and we got hers Saturday... hers is perfect except for 1 dead pixel which we can live with.
    Thanx for this thread. I checked out this one and the one on SU's. I was going to hold off once I got the call for the wait list, but I feel more confident going with a purchase now.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I have not done this yet, and probably won't because a couple of stuck pixels doesn't ruin the experience if I don't know about it. :-)
    I have the black box no heat issue, no pixel issue or battery. What I am having is needing to restart a lot now and this just started really on Tuseday. When I try to open up a web browser my bookmarks show up but then after selecting one the screen just turns white, and nothing further happens. I shutdown my pre and then start it back up and everything is fine for awhile. This happened 7 or 8 times yesterday. My date is 5/27/09.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I bought mine on Saturday and it came in the black flower box with a manufacture date of 5/30/09. I have no heat or distortion problem, but I do have a stuck pixel. I'm on the waiting list to get a replacement and hoping the next one at least doesn't have anything worse than the stuck pixel.
    I bought mine June 6th, the first one had all kinds of problems. Crashes, multiple dead pixels, heat, distortion, sluggish. I went back 3 hrs later and exchanged it and everything has been fine. I've only run into the please close cards error once and I didn't have anything open. But a reboot fixed that. The battery could be a little better. I took it off the charger at 7am and right now 11:48 it's is sitting at 50%. I've only had one short call, 3 emails, and synced it once.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    The battery could be a little better. I took it off the charger at 7am and right now 11:48 it's is sitting at 50%. I've only had one short call, 3 emails, and synced it once.
    be sure you're not signed into aim or gtalk...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emceesquared View Post
    be sure you're not signed into aim or gtalk...
    Just checked and I'm signed out.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Here's the link for the SprintUsers forum where they discuss how the keyboard is better with the "Yellow Box" Pres:

2nd Shippment of Pre's - Keyboard - SprintUsers.com
    ........ Please read the Palm Pre Manual and the Palm Pre Solutions Guide.

Check out the official Palm blog.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Just wanted to update everyone from earlier post today:

I decided to call Palm directly regarding the screen issues. I called the main number and hit 0 for the operator. She sent me to the india customer service line and I hung up and called back. I told her to send me to someone who could fix this issue since I am on my 3rd Pre. She sent me to escalations and instructed me to hit 2.

The guy who answered was very cool and I told him about the numerous swaps I have been through and I even mentioned the countless message board threads out there with plenty of people in the same boat as me. Maybe this will raise a little awareness within the company. Anyway, I convinced them to send me a new unit straight from Palm. They are supposedly going to make sure it does not have any screen defects before sending to me. It is suppose to arrive next week sometime. I will post back with my results. I could live with one dead / stuck pixel, but not multiples. I feel like Palm owes me a device without a screen defect for my $300. We shall see...
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Mine does - when i clean the screen by lightly rubbing it on my shirt or cloth, it wiggles open a lot. when i ran the test, the optical "keyboard opened" was about 60 more than the "physical open" number.

also, the top is already gettign a little "clicky". I turned off all vibrate - sounds like a moose in labor. it rattels a Ton.

Just not sure about this phone... maybe a swap, if there are any.

and mine was a black box that needed upgrading.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Also, others who are experiencing screen defects should probably take this same route if you have swapped out multiple pre's like myself. Maybe it will force Palm to address and correct these issues.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    this makes me want to swap mine out for one in a new box. Maybe I will call my Sprint store this afternoon and see if they have any in.
    I've got the early version. Did the update. Have had 1 phone-freeze, having terrible problem with reception, and a very loose top slider.

Ordered a replacement yesterday from the store I purchased it at. They say it will be in Wednesday. Hoping for the newer build, and way fewer issues. Reception being the absolute dealcrusher.

Can anyone with the reception problems weigh-in on whether you have the early or later build version?
    Quote Originally Posted by rahrah12 View Post
    this makes me want to swap mine out for one in a new box. Maybe I will call my Sprint store this afternoon and see if they have any in.
    A newer one isn't necessarily better. My first one was the flower box and 1.0.1 software, and it had both the heat and screen issues people have talked about here. Took it back, got the sunset box with 1.0.2 software. This one has fewer heat issues and it feels like the keyboard is better, but there are still splotches on the screen and the slider on this one feels much looser.

I think that instead of playing the return/exchange game, I'll just wait a couple of weeks and see if Palm addresses the issues and how they are going to handle them (i.e. recalls, new units, or nothing at all) and then decide what I'm going to do. Obviously, the units that are still in stores right now do not have all the kinks worked out.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast