Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if either of these apps work with the Pre? I know I can use iTunes to sync to my Pre but personally, I HATE iTunes and I would love to use something different. Does anyone know if either work with the Pre or if they both work, which do you folks prefer?
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    One and only one bump since these forums are moving fast today....
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    DoubleTwist works just perfect. Just copied a bunch of pictures over on my mac.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    DoubleTwist works just perfect. Just copied a bunch of pictures over on my mac.
    Awesome! I am a big fan of DVD Jon so I would love to see doubleTwist succeed. The only reason I think I am even considering Songbird is for Linux support and I don't think doubleTwist supports Linux yet right?
    Media Monkey works as well. I'm going to try Songbird next. It should work since the Pre pretends its an ipod nano. If I remember correctly, Songbird only has issues with the touch and the iphone.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Once I get my pre I plan to write a pre extension for songbird.
    Winamp also works well.
    I pluged in the pre and gave it a new device name, synced a playlist. In songbird, the transfer appears to have completed. But when I open the media player on the pre there is nothing there. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgir View Post
    I pluged in the pre and gave it a new device name, synced a playlist. In songbird, the transfer appears to have completed. But when I open the media player on the pre there is nothing there. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Did you plug in the Pre in Media Sync or USB Drive mode?
    I set it to Media Sync. I looked in the Palm Pre "usb" folder and there is an iPod_Control folder with .gnupod, Device, iTunes and Music folders. In the Music folder there are .mp3 files with names like gtkpod807558.mp3 and file size consistent with a normal mp3. Also none of the files are DRM.
    Let me know if I can provide any additional information.
    I dug around a bit more and found this post about a songbird add-on folder sync. It seems to be more of a copy than a true sync but in the end you get the same results, just takes longer after the first "sync".

forums.precentral.net / palm-pre / 184914-music-sync-experience-unbuntu-linux-songbird . h t m l (I don't have enough posts to insert a link...)

I tried this and as far as I can tell the songs transferred correctly and set up the play lists.
    Caution if you do use this, make a new folder only for music as it will delete everything in the destination before it starts copying.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I'm having problems getting Songbird to work as well. Plugging in the Pre in Media Sync mode allows Songbird to see the Pre as an iPod and everything seems to sync properly, but the media player does not see any of the songs.

I think the problem is that when the music is synced, the root folder (named iPod_Control) is marked as "hidden" in file properties. I changed that to not hidden, including all child files/folders. However, it still didn't see any of the music files. When I looked at the folder it was once again shown as hidden. For some reason, the Pre is insisting on making this "iPod_Control" folder hidden, so none of the songs are showing up.
    Drag-n-drop FTW!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I suppose that would work if your playlists are static and never change. Mine aren't.
    @SirBC - Assuming your post is about the folder sync addon. It will correctly mirror the source regardless of how many songs have been added or removed. I have a smart playlist in songbird that I sync every couple days and as best I can tell it is accurate. It does this by completely deleting contents of the destination directory and copying from the source. As you can imagine, the sync is not a diff sync so it can be slower than other options, but at this point for the Pre and songbird I am not aware of any.

Has anyone figured out how to get the Pre to recognize the iPod sync from songbird?
    When I registered for DoubleTwist I entered my device as a Palm Pre and I got an email from DVD Jon Sunday :

Hi Jimmie,

Here's the release candidate for the next update to dT for Mac:

(The link to download no longer works)

It includes support for the Pre so you should now be able to drop
    videos on your Pre.

Btw, this is just a minor update. There's a more substantial release
    coming next month.

Best,
    Jon
    Jimmie Geddes
    Hi Jimmie,

The new Mac version was released yesterday so now anyone can get it from our website (www . doubletwist . com)

There's also a new Windows release coming this week (which will identify the Pre as a Pre and not as a PrePod :-).

Best,
    Jon
    Also no luck with Songbird files actually showing in the music player... MediaMonkey works though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Once I get my pre I plan to write a pre extension for songbird.
    Get your Pre yet? Hoping to see some support for Pre on Songbird for the Mac. I love the program but can't get my Songbird to recognize my Pre as a device (or I am missing something). Until then I'm going to give Doubletwist a try.... but will keep my fingers crossed for a Songbird Patch/extension since I'm a big fan of the Mozilla community.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Just tried to use doubletwist for my Pre plus. Works. But Doubletwist is very basic. For example, I can't even sort my song library by date (year of song relase). I would rather not put all my entire music library to my Pre. Why waste all that memory? I'd rather just put latest songs I like on the Pre. The play list is very basic and isn't smart. You can't create a list meeting certain criteria.

I also tried songbird. It doesn't seem to work with the Pre well. Or at least I got tired of messing with it. Also there was a sync option which says erase music on device (pre) and sync. Well, some of that "music" was built-in ring tones so I didn't want to erase it!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast