1.    #1  
    I am a new Pre user with a long background with Palm devices. Handspring Visor>Tungsten TX>couple of WinMobile devices Yuk> Treo 700P>Centro>Pre...
    And so... having grown used to the Categories functionality, I am missing it on the Pre. I have some 300+ contacts and finding what I am after can be daunting without Categories to reduce the list down to something browsable. And so I offer this as a workaround...
    This applies to Outlook users. There is a catagories field in Outlook but not on the Pre. So... we need a searchable field for the Pre. I went with the Nickname field. You will find that an entry made there, on your Pre will be found when doing a search on your Pre. So.. in Outlook, I lined up the Catagories field(employed previously by my Centro) and the Nickname fields. I copied and pasted within the Outlook application the name from the Catagory field to the Nickname field. Now when doing a search on the Pre, I can search by Nickname. "Family" returns all those contacts with "Family" in the Nickname field. Come on Palm! How about a Catagory field in Contacts that employs Universal Search. Hope this methodology helps someone. Peace -Mark
    nice suggestion. surprised it didn't get any responses. Still don't think it's enough to overcome the rest of the PIM issues though. It is a start.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.