Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. AdidasNYR's Avatar
    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
       #1  
    Ok so my old q9c always had about 2 bars sometimes 3. I find the Pre usually has just 1. This is all at my house. It bothers me to no end seeing the bars go from 0 to 5.

    I have to admit though. I always have crystal clear calls no matter the bars. So maybe the 0-1 bars on my Pre is actually the same signal strength as my 2-3 on my q9c?


    And since we SEE lower bars we think the phone is getting bad service? When it very may be just the same?

    So if your old phone has more bars then your newer phone in the same location, post here and let us know. Of course if you were using sprint before the Pre.
  2. #2  
    That's really interesting. Is there a standard unit definition for what a 'bar' is intended to mean, or does each phone manufacturer decide for themselves how strong a signal must be for them to display some number of bars?
  3. #3  
    So what's the excuse for the phone dropping between perfectly good EVDO to 1x constantly? How about the phone constantly going between roaming and Sprint network in fringe areas? No, there is a reception problem on this phone.

    I'm pretty convinced it won't be addressed though. Why would they? Everyone is just buying a wheelchair for their Pre (the Airave) and living with it. I'm sure Palm and Sprint appreciates you not returning so they don't have to recognize a real problem.

    Sorry buddy. Your Jedi powers are weak. The Pre reception is not fine.
  4. #4  
    thats a bug with the Pre. sucks really. Rssi value with 5 bars was in the low 90's i think and with one bar was like 106. The lower the value the better reception.

    open up phone app

    on dialpad type

    ##debug#

    a screen will pop up

    scroll down to "RSSI Value"
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    thats a bug with the Pre. sucks really. Rssi value with 5 bars was in the low 90's i think and with one bar was like 106. The lower the value the better reception.

    open up phone app

    on dialpad type

    ##debug#

    a screen will pop up

    scroll down to "RSSI Value"
    And it could just as easily be a hardware problem. Perhaps they've tried to pack too much into this little device.
  6. #6  
    I can't compare to other Sprint devices, as I've just moved to Sprint from Yahoo, but I'm not having any signal issues at all.
    In fact I get a decent signal in some places (like my house) the I got almost nothing with my old iPhone.
  7. #7  
    Sprint has clearly defined parameters for what a "bar" is. All devices operate in hybrid mode (EvDO/1xRTT) since EvDO is only for data and 1x is for voice and data where EvDO is not present. The difference is that some manufacturers mask the fluctuation in signal by not updating the display for several seconds after a major change in signal. Sanyo was actually spanked a few years ago for altering the "bar" value to make it look like they had better signal. They had subsequent software releases to level the playing field once again. I bring this up since someone on another forum mentioned his Sanyo phone as a reference. The issue of form factor also defines the RF performance of a device. Flip phones separate the LCD from the RF circuitry and have the advantage - especially if it is an older one with a protruding antenna. All this is for context, not to excuse the Pre, but to defend it.
  8. #8  
    It's definitely worse, and it's the #1 battery killer. Last night I forgot my charger at work, and when I went to sleep my battery was at 34%. I woke up at 9, sent about 3 emails and 10 texts, 10 minutes of websurfing, and I was at 25%. When I pulled into work I got the 20% warning. I have 0-1 bars at work, and I've been here 15 minutes. I am at 15% now. I really wish Sprint would give me an airave for work!
  9. KJ78's Avatar
    Posts
    838 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmack549 View Post
    It's definitely worse, and it's the #1 battery killer. Last night I forgot my charger at work, and when I went to sleep my battery was at 34%. I woke up at 9, sent about 3 emails and 10 texts, 10 minutes of websurfing, and I was at 25%. When I pulled into work I got the 20% warning. I have 0-1 bars at work, and I've been here 15 minutes. I am at 15% now. I really wish Sprint would give me an airave for work!
    Even the Airwave compensation is bs for some of us. I have the most reception issues at work. There is no way my work is going to let me install an Airwave for a personal cell phone.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    Even the Airwave compensation is bs for some of us. I have the most reception issues at work. There is no way my work is going to let me install an Airwave for a personal cell phone.
    Yeah, I work in IT so I guess I'm lucky in that aspect. I do wish it would be fixed through an OS update though, it's really a burden to have it plugged in 100% of the time I'm at work.
  11. #11  
    Last night my Pre was on the touchstone with 0 bars and an X through them besides. I was surprised to have the phone ring! It was after hours (used for business) so I didn't answer but it was very surprising to get call with no service showing.
  12. pomokey's Avatar
    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelone View Post
    Last night my Pre was on the touchstone with 0 bars and an X through them besides. I was surprised to have the phone ring! It was after hours (used for business) so I didn't answer but it was very surprising to get call with no service showing.
    wow, that is impressive. So I wonder, is the pre actually having reception issues, or is the display simply showing the wrong values?
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
  13. tomascco's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #13  
    I can definitely vouch that my Treo 755p got better reception and more faithful connection than the Pre. May be my imagination, but the Pre does seem to be getting better. But in some marginal areas yesterday where I usually had one bar on the Treo I had no service at all.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    wow, that is impressive. So I wonder, is the pre actually having reception issues, or is the display simply showing the wrong values?
    It is both. As I have said numerous times, I have been with sprint over 7 years, and have owned Palm devices for about 5 (and my father even longer). I have also had a few LG devices, a few motorola, and 1 HTC. I cannot remember a dropped call in the last few years, and the ones before that were on the other end. Since having my Pre, I have gotten a lot of "You're breaking up" complaints, as well as about 10 dropped calls. With that said, there is definitely a problem with the signal bar display as well, which was proven in the other thread that had us changed the settings to "Sprint only" and "Evdo only" but would show no service while making phone calls.

Posting Permissions