Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    It's the default email application. I have activesync and set it to "As it arrives" the last 3 days and the battery would just get sucked to zero in about 6 hours of doing not much other than getting email (I get about 100/day)

    At first I thought it was apps (I've uninstalled everything), also turning all gps/location off. I have wifi on at home and office with 5 bars at the office and a AiRave at home with 5 bars. I did all the "tips" on the forum and left email on as it arrives and the battery still got sucked down fast.

    Today, I set email at manual retrieve, took it off the charger at 9:30am, and now it's 3:15pm with 47%. Still not great, but better than yesterday which would have been at 8%. I've made 3 calls totalling 20 minutes, manually retrieved email 12 times, made 5 sms messsages, and checked the calendar about a dozen times. Very minimal usage.

    So now, i'm waiting for Goodlink! On my treo centro, it was pretty good at battery management and push email.

    I'm wondering though, does facebook linking update all the time? Or do you have to manually sync your address book, calendar etc.

    Anyway, for anyone who is doing Exchange, for now until they figure out how to optimize push email, turn it off to manual syncing if you want to last more than 4 hours..

    I'm a bit bummed right now as I live and die by email.
  2.    #2  
    Does anyone know how often facebook syncs contacts/calendar?

    maybe it's syncing every 15 min or hour thus draining the battery? There is a "sync now" option in preferences, but i'm not sure if it doesn't sync in the background. And if it does, I think it's what's causing a battery drain. I noticed that if I put my email activesync to manual it makes a world of a difference.

    Wondering if there's a way to not have fb update often if in fact it does.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    Does anyone know how often facebook syncs contacts/calendar?

    maybe it's syncing every 15 min or hour thus draining the battery? There is a "sync now" option in preferences, but i'm not sure if it doesn't sync in the background. And if it does, I think it's what's causing a battery drain. I noticed that if I put my email activesync to manual it makes a world of a difference.

    Wondering if there's a way to not have fb update often if in fact it does.
    Every 24 hours.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  4. #4  
    I'd say if you're going to get pounded by that much email at the office, you should have a touchstone for your desktop. I get about a third as much, keep it on "as it arrives" and lasted 14 hours yesterday without any midday charging.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
  5. #5  
    'As it arrives' will save battery life, depending on how many emails received.

    Best way to explain it:
    =====================

    Scenario 1:
    You receive 50 e-mails in an hour. You have it set to 'as it arrives.' 50 data connections are opened in that hour to receive the mail.

    Advantage to Battery Life? - No

    =====================

    Scenario 2:
    You receive 50 e-mails in an hour. You have it set to every 5 minutes. That means 12 data connections are opened in that hour.

    Advantage to Battery Life? No

    =====================

    Scenario 3:
    You receive 5 e-mails in an hour. You have it set to 'as it arrives'. Only 5 data connections are opened in that hour.

    Advantage to battery life? - Yes

    =====================

    Makes sense? As it arrives seems like it would benefit a business user receiving many e-mails but in fact it benefits those who aren't likely to receive many e-mails during the day.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    I'd say if you're going to get pounded by that much email at the office, you should have a touchstone for your desktop. I get about a third as much, keep it on "as it arrives" and lasted 14 hours yesterday without any midday charging.

    Defeats the purpose if i'm out of the office all day.. I want to have my email realtime when i'm out and about. quickly pulling the phone out of my pocket to see if there's a new email to respond to.

    I hope they fix this..
  7. cashen's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #7  
    Mine has been outstanding today.

    15 Hours now @ 25%
    ~1 hr web browsing
    ~50 txt msgs
    ~20 Emails
    ~1.5 hours streaming pandora over wifi and EV
    ~45 Minutes talk
    Other normal use, pictures, etc
    Countless App Catalog reloads waiting for new apps

    Settings
    Gmail - As Items Arrive
    Wifi - On
    Bluetooth - off
    GPS - On

    As i'm typing this i'm thinking this can't be right, but it is. Wow, best day yet by far!
  8. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    'As it arrives' will save battery life, depending on how many emails received.

    Best way to explain it:
    =====================

    Scenario 1:
    You receive 50 e-mails in an hour. You have it set to 'as it arrives.' 50 data connections are opened in that hour to receive the mail.

    Advantage to Battery Life? - No

    =====================

    Scenario 2:
    You receive 50 e-mails in an hour. You have it set to every 5 minutes. That means 12 data connections are opened in that hour.

    Advantage to Battery Life? No

    =====================

    Scenario 3:
    You receive 5 e-mails in an hour. You have it set to 'as it arrives'. Only 5 data connections are opened in that hour.

    Advantage to battery life? - Yes

    =====================

    Makes sense? As it arrives seems like it would benefit a business user receiving many e-mails but in fact it benefits those who aren't likely to receive many e-mails during the day.
    are you sure about this? did you monitor the network traffic? IMAP IDLE (which most imap servers user.. ie gmail) are supposed to maintain an open connection. The only time you'd see a re-connect is when you're moving around or switching from wifi to EV etc. At least this is how it's supposed to work.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    are you sure about this? did you monitor the network traffic? IMAP IDLE (which most imap servers user.. ie gmail) are supposed to maintain an open connection. The only time you'd see a re-connect is when you're moving around or switching from wifi to EV etc. At least this is how it's supposed to work.
    Yeah, but it makes switches from an idle connection to an active connection when it downloads your mail, which is effectively the same as what happens when you pull email from a server, from my understanding.
  10. fitzla's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #10  
    I have mine set to "as it arrives", have all GPS settings on, etc. I took it off the charger at 8:00 am, and at 10:56 pm, I still have 45% battery. Just checked. I turned wifi off, which helped greatly. The first day, I ran out of batter completely by 5:00 pm because wifi was on. My battery is working great now. I get an average of 30-40 emails a day, and I text A LOT.
  11. #11  
    My battery is TERRIBLE. It barely lasts 6-8 hours with very little use. GPS off, auto locate off, bluetooth off, and wifi off. I dont know what to do!! I also have a couple dead pixels. I love my pre! But should I try and exchange it? What would you do?!?!
  12. #12  
    Does the 'As it arrives' thing hold true for Exchange as well, or just Google?
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
  13. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, but it makes switches from an idle connection to an active connection when it downloads your mail, which is effectively the same as what happens when you pull email from a server, from my understanding.
    true.. it might open a new connection to fetch mail vs. change the state of the connection.
  14. fitzla's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    Does the 'As it arrives' thing hold true for Exchange as well, or just Google?
    I don't have either. I use mac mail and it comes as it arrives.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post

    Anyway, for anyone who is doing Exchange, for now until they figure out how to optimize push email, turn it off to manual syncing if you want to last more than 4 hours..

    I'm a bit bummed right now as I live and die by email.
    I have mine syncing hourly and I'm getting 24+ hrs out of my battery.
  16. notabun's Avatar
    Posts
    225 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #16  
    I dont know about you guys but my Pre only drains about 11% over night (7-8 hours) when doing nothing.

Posting Permissions