Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Why ohhhh Why did palm put the microphone on the front of the unit??

This make no sense at all. I've had the phone for 4 days now and almost every conversation I've had, I've had to hold the phone in my shoulder for a second. To grab a pin and paper, to open a draw... As soon as I do this, the person can not hear me, i sound muffled or even worse the mic hole gets plugged by my face!!!

If the phone was an inch loner like the iPhone the mic wouldn't hit your face. or if it was placed it at the bottom of the phone, it would be even better!!

Now every one I talk to on the phone says "Your new phone sucks!".

This is the worst hardware flaw on this phone. Pre has this nice clam slider with nothing on the bottom edge of the keyboard. Why would you not put the microphone there. This way if you slide the keyboard open and talk on the phone you mouth is even closer to the pickup.

There is a bunch of software glitches, that I'm sure will get fixed as time goes on, but how do you fix this?

This phone is about synergy and multitasking, right? How the heck do you hold the phone and write a note at the same time!!!
    Last edited by nathan909; 06/10/2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: error
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I made a thread about this, too! Frustrating. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...en-rubbed.html
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I can't believe no one else is heaving this problem. I think everyone here is so excited about the new purchase and justify it, by not admitting to its faults.
    Havent run into this issue myself
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan909 View Post
    I can't believe no one else is heaving this problem. I think everyone here is so excited about the new purchase and justify it, by not admitting to its faults.

Or perhaps this isn't an issue for most people?
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    If they made the phone longer everyone would complain how big it is, if they made it smaller it would be too small. If they put the mic on the back people would complain about that..

The phone has tons of faults, so did my 755p before that, my 10 other phones before that, etc.. Its impossible to make the perfect phone for everyone.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Didn't sat to put it on the back nor did i say it had to be longer, but the placement of it with it's short size is bad.

Placing the microphone below the keyboard would be ideal, this way the microphone is closer to the mouth when keyboard is open, and still facing the mouth when it's closed.

Or have it in the same location facing it down so the pick up is faced toward your mouth when talking, not into you cheek

Currently the only way to talk on the phone is to hold it away from your cheek.

I like the phone and would like to keep it. I have looked at photos of the disassembled Pre, and even thought about drilling a hole in the bottom of it into the microphone area, but I'm not sure how this would effect the touch screen or sound quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan909 View Post
    Have you even looked at the rest of the threads on this forum? The vast majority are people having "problems".

Beyond your obvious lack of vision, I do agree - the microphone placement isn't the best. That said, it hasn't been an issue for me so far, I don't use my phone without a hands free kit when I'm actively doing something other than talking on the phone, so I don't resort to cradling the phone against my face/shoulder. My complaint is when using speakerphone, the speaker pointed down, the mic up - not the best for hearing the other party clearly.

Luckily, a lot of the issues people are having are software resolvable, this - however - is not one of those.
    Just put the phone down for 2 seconds or turn on the speaker phone. Problem solved, IMO.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    The mic is probably mounted on the upper circuit board, and would add to the cost to relocate, as that would mean awkward routing of the wiring from upper half to lower. Maybe in the next iteration. I agree it's a problem; though there are plenty of workarounds- bluetooth, anyone?