Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am very impressed with the camera, and the ability to take multiple pictures quickly and have them load in the background.

With the unlocking of the ROM does anyone know if it is possible for Palm to update the current Pre hardware to allow video capture? I think this is a big negative in many consumers mind when they compare the Pre against the new iPhone 3GS and blackberries. It would be huge for Palm to steal a lot of attention away from Apple if they could announce that the Pre will support video capture. Hope that is within the ability of the current hardware, and not simple a new feature of next years Pre 2.0
    Supposedly the processor is certainly capable...
    From TI on the OMAP 3430 (Pre's CPU):

IVA™ 2+ (Image Video Audio) accelerator enables multi-standard (MPEG4, WMV9, RealVideo, H263, H264) encode/decode at D1 (720x480 pixels) 30 fps
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    isnt video recording one of the promises palm said to be out this year?
  5.    #5  
    No idea. I don't remember hearing any promises, but that would be awesome!
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Yes, yes, and yes. Later this year.

As i've said before, i think palm and sprint were scared what apple was going to release so they left stuff out only so they can release it in the near future. Plus, being a brand new OS they only had time to work on certain things to get it out on time.
    i hope they will release it ASAP, camera is not enough for this device
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I went to a Sprint store yesterday to buy a Touchstone kit and got to talk to a very enthusiastic Sprint rep about the Pre. He told me that video capture is coming very soon to the device! He said the hardware specs needed for the camera to capture video are already present, just the software is not, but will be soon!
    Id love to shoot some short video. I hope it can be added with a firmware update.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    one of the hackers made a time-lapse camcorder app already

Link to his post
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/1671589-post772.html

not exactly actual video recording but pretty neat IMHO.
    well also is tha palm pre going to have any updates on the camera zooming when takin the pictures instead of zooming after
    I had this on a previous phone and am really missing it.
    same here..I was talkin to a sprint rep yesterday in the store, they said the video camera is coming in the next update...

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoteric View Post
    I went to a Sprint store yesterday to buy a Touchstone kit and got to talk to a very enthusiastic Sprint rep about the Pre. He told me that video capture is coming very soon to the device! He said the hardware specs needed for the camera to capture video are already present, just the software is not, but will be soon!
    but I do got video capture on my phone now thanks to the webos internalz team...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    but I do got video capture on my phone now thanks to the webos internalz team...

Do tell!
  16. CoobeyMeyer
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    Yes, yes, and yes. Later this year..
    Well they better hurry up... Its freaking December already.
    around march 2010

Quote Originally Posted by CoobeyMeyer View Post
    Well they better hurry up... Its freaking December already.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i thought i saw someone working on a homebrew solution. havent heard anything more.
    I thought I heard about a home brew app as well.
    It looks like someone has an app at the alpha level right now.

gizmodo.com/5411687/palm-pre-gets-video-recording-with-precorder-homebrew-software

Sorry I can't post a proper link. I haven't posted enough yet.
    Video Recording is available in an Alpha stage by Homebrew. Really, alpha.

And Palm is going to provide it, just no one knows when.

The Homebrew is called 'Precorder'

I have installed on my phone and it definately works great, but very very limited just yet.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast