Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I went from a Touch Pro to a Pre and I have to say that the TP was much better for a business user.

1. The copy/paste function is on the Pre is frustrating at best (it's a serious joke that they're pushing this as an advantage when WinMo can do it flawlessly). You can only copy/paste on text entry areas which is maybe only 10% of when i really need it.

2. I have yet to be able to open an attached Word document from an email, something I never had a problem with my Touch Pro. (Have since solved this).

3. No hardware or on-screen keys to go up and down lines of text. Once you're typing a long message in the messaging function and you go up a couple lines to edit something you wrote earlier, you're unable to drop back down to the end of the message.

4. Can't open PDF files through the web browser like the TP. Have yet to figure out how to download them and then open them.

5. The text messaging and email features were much better integrated for business users on Windows Mobile.

6. I sent myself a link from my PC to my Pre, but the Pre chopped off the end of the hyperlink and displayed it as normal text so that it was only a partial link and wouldn't work. I couldn't copy and paste it since it was an email I received. I couldn't edit the browser's location bar because there was no way to get to the end of the address without hardware keys. How STUPID!

7. No text message forwarding.

With that said, I love the device for the most part and can get by with the above for the next few weeks but I hope they fix these issues, especially since Dan Hesse is pushing the Pre as a device for both business and personal lives. I just hope Palm puts out some software upgrades that fixes some of these issues. It's hard for me to believe that none of these were caught in the beta testing period.

So for now, I have to say that while the Pre might be flashy and fun and beautiful, etc. etc., it's pure usability for even casual business users (I don't have to edit Excel or Word) is completely compromised by some dumb software design.

Oh yeah, and screen discoloration issues are a complete embarrassment. Quality control, anyone?
    Last edited by ahnoff; 06/10/2009 at 04:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Did you read the "Getting Started" guide at all??? I can open word docs,excel,pdf's STRAIGHT from my Exchange email on my Pre.

Also holding down the OJ (Orange) button and scrolling on the screen lets you move the cursor. Also there is documentation on keypad shortcuts for copy/paste.
    Sprint said in "leaked memos" from the very beginning that the pre would not satiate heavy business users. Remember the "We can't afford to sell this phone to the wrong customers" (paraphrasing)? That's what that entire page of memo was about, the fact that different phones meet different needs. Sprint knew all along that the pre, at least as of now, would not be a business-first device, their documents laid out clearly with a questionnaire whether a person should have a pre or a <insert phone from the brochure here>.

I wasn't ever expecting the pre to appeal to business-centric users, and I don't think Sprint or Palm was expecting to appeal to those users right now, either. Maybe later, but not yet.

Anybody have the link to that document from Sprint that clearly laid out how business users need the <insert phone from brochure here> and more casual users need the pre?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    PreGame, okay just finally got my documents to open from my email (had to send it directly from the gmail and not from my Outlook program... apparently it was Outlook that wasn't working). Have edited my above post to reflect that.

Hmmm... I'm looking in it again but the Getting Started guide doesn't say anything other than the basics (look it up in yours... maybe I got a bad copy?).

The Orange button and moving the cursor still doesn't work for me to get to the end of a web address in the location bar... frustrating.

Still can't seem to copy and paste in emails or texts that i receive... only things that i've typed in text fields to send out, which is useless.

Can't open PDFs from the browser. Argh!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahnoff View Post
    I went from a Touch Pro to a Pre and I have to say that the TP was much better for a business user.

2. I have yet to be able to open an attached Word document from an email, something I never had a problem with my Touch Pro.
    4. Can't open PDF files through the web browser like the TP. Have yet to figure out how to download them and then open them.

Oh yeah, and screen discoloration issues are a complete embarrassment. Quality control, anyone?
    I just sent myself some word, excel, and PDF files, and was able to open them flawlessly.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    Sprint said in "leaked memos" from the very beginning that the pre would not satiate heavy business users. Remember the "We can't afford to sell this phone to the wrong customers" (paraphrasing)? That's what that entire page of memo was about, the fact that different phones meet different needs. Sprint knew all along that the pre, at least as of now, would not be a business-first device, their documents laid out clearly with a questionnaire whether a person should have a pre or a <insert phone from the brochure here>.

I wasn't ever expecting the pre to appeal to business-centric users, and I don't think Sprint or Palm was expecting to appeal to those users right now, either. Maybe later, but not yet.

Anybody have the link to that document from Sprint that clearly laid out how business users need the <insert phone from brochure here> and more casual users need the pre?
    Yeah I saw that (have obsessively been following the phone since January like most of you folks :-)), but some of these things aren't even just for "business" users. I use my phone for a blend of work and play (mostly play) but for even the most basic of functions to copy and paste what someone wrote me in an email or open a simple link I emailed to myself there are hang-ups.

For the most parts the phone is great and well thought-out... it's just hard for me to believe that there aren't others who are frustrated by what i see as a lack of thorough beta-testing.

I get the feeling that Palm is still probably sussing out these details and will get them fixed eventually... I just don't want the lack of posts on issues such as these to let Palm think they've put out a multitasking environment that doesn't need refining.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I haven't had a problem opening PDFs at all. They open quickly and flawlessly.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mecca View Post
    I just sent myself some word, excel, and PDF files, and was able to open them flawlessly.
    Whoops sorry! Yeah... I can open files emailed to me (Outlook on my PC wasn't sending them properly for whatever reason).

However, try Googling any PDF file and opening it through your browser. Tried to do that today and it just gives you a message saying there isn't an application able to do that. I also haven't been able to figure out a way to just download the damn PDF from the browser to my Pre and then open it.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Hilarious!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    as a business user myself migrating from a touch pro i couldn't disagree more. windows mobile is a ridiculous piece of crap, and trying to use it for business purposes was never anything but a frustrating annoyance.

the pre may not have all the answers yet, but they are clearly coming - and it looks like the majority of your "issues" stem from your failure to read/understand the manual that came with your phone and straight up user error.

all the best with windows mobile - i, for one, am NEVER going back.
    As a former (OK, I still own the device) Touch Pro owner, I can give my opinion that it definitely is NOT a "ridiculous piece of crap" as a business device...far from it. It has a huge amount of business functionality with the right 3rd party apps, and the screen is gorgeous.

Where it lacked was in the phone category. Between the size and lack of volume, I seldom had good phone calls unless I was using a BT headset.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Okay yes... like i said i already saw that. But your implication that i'm the "wrong customer" just because i have frustrations with a few features of the phone is ridiculous. The fanboyism on this forum is reaching unprecedented levels. Sigh.

And like i said... not a heavy business user and barely even qualify as that. I'm supposedly right in the target market of the Pre. All i want to do is open the NYC subway map in PDF format in the web browser so I can save it to my phone and it won't even do that! C'mon, Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by fourply View Post
    as a business user myself migrating from a touch pro i couldn't disagree more. windows mobile is a ridiculous piece of crap, and trying to use it for business purposes was never anything but a frustrating annoyance.

the pre may not have all the answers yet, but they are clearly coming - and it looks like the majority of your "issues" stem from your failure to read/understand the manual that came with your phone and straight up user error.

former HTC Mogul user here, and totally agree with fourply.

SOOO glad to be off of WinMo.
    I see pandas.
    All i want to do is open the NYC subway map in PDF format in the web browser so I can save it to my phone and it won't even do that! C'mon, Palm!
    Okay, so that's not working for now, and we all know that... wouldn't it make sense to, I don't know, use the workaround of downloading it to your PC and transferring via Mass Storage if that's so important to you?

Sure, there's issues with the Pre and some of them might affect you, but this one is easily solvable in the meantime.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    All i want to do is open the NYC subway map in PDF format in the web browser so I can save it to my phone and it won't even do that! C'mon, Palm!
    email the pdf to yourself or transfer it from your pc. not a perfect solution yet, but i am certain the ability to access pdf files from websites is coming.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

Where in the "manual" does it even talk about the PDFs not opening from the web browser, the lack of true copy/paste? Tell me because a lot of what i'm talking about just simply doesn't exist on this phone. The "Getting Started" guide doesn't have much to say other than getting you intro'd to the phone.

I'm not giving up on the phone just yet... in fact i really do want to keep it. I just want some basic functions that--god forbid--i have gotten used to on other phones. Windows Mobile is awful... I definitely agree with that. I've had 2 Palm OS devices, 2 WinMo devices and some Blackberries, and I'm just disappointed that as great as this phone is, it doesn't live up to the "blending business and personal" lifestyles hype.

Is there something wrong in all of the issues I'm having with the phone? Everyone should be happy with the great strides Palm has made with WebOS but they should also not settle for a product that is clearly missing some functionality!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay, so that's not working for now, and we all know that... wouldn't it make sense to, I don't know, use the workaround of downloading it to your PC and transferring via Mass Storage if that's so important to you?

Sure, there's issues with the Pre and some of them might affect you, but this one is easily solvable in the meantime.
    email the pdf to yourself or transfer it from your pc. not a perfect solution yet, but i am certain the ability to access pdf files from websites is coming.

Smacking myself in the forehead now. I should've thought of that...

To be honest I've gotten so used to using the phone as my primary web browser/device now that I've barely used my PC in the last few days! Loving the web browsing, just missing some basically functionality.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Okay, so maybe "awful" in the thread title is a bit strong, but... still. Basic stuff.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NutritionN View Post
    As a former (OK, I still own the device) Touch Pro owner, I can give my opinion that it definitely is NOT a "ridiculous piece of crap" as a business device...far from it.
    never suggested that the touch pro isn't a nice device or that HTC doesn't make some of the most beautiful phones around - but windows mobile is, for me at least, simply not a viable OS anymore. i spent years tweaking this and that (on the TP and mogul before it) to try to get it to simply work as it should, and it never did. no matter what - the phone still crashed randomly, stopped checking my email for no reason, on and on and on with problems. when it worked it worked well, but it didn't work often enough.

granted, i have had the pre less than a week - but i haven't had to fight with it or reboot it once. it works exactly as it should - something windows mobile never did.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast