1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    from palm blog

The Official Palm Blog: Matt Crowley: Product manager, tech lover, toy maker

"Creating an amazing product is always a tough exercise in the delicate art of managing tradeoffs. Can we make the screen bigger -- but keep the phone smaller? More cool functions, please -- but longer battery life, thank you. There are inevitably healthy tensions among the different teams in product development championing for different tradeoffs. And thatís a good thing -- it pushes us to reinvent the boundaries of what's possible.

Hereís a small example involving Pre's 3.5mm headset jack (vs. a non-standard 2.5mm jack used in other phones). We wanted the customer (okay...me included) to be able to plug their standard noise-cancelling Bose headset into their Pre on a plane and rock out. No funky adapter needed; it should just work. But there was no room for a 3.5mm jack in the design. So it was my job to work with the engineering and design teams to find a meeting of the minds and make it happen. We kept asking: What if we curved it here? What if we had a unique part made to fit? What if...? Finally we came to a solution and balanced the efficiency of the speakerphone air space, and we made a unique 3.5mm headset part to match the curve of the Pre design. The result: You get great speakerphone performance AND a standard headset jack for my...I mean, your...noisy flights."
    its cool, i just wish that my apple in ear headphones would work as a headset...i can hear people talk but they cant hear me....
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejaret View Post
    its cool, i just wish that my apple in ear headphones would work as a headset...i can hear people talk but they cant hear me....
    Do you have the headset that came with the iPhone?
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I use the jack to hook up to AUX port in my car and rock out to pandora!
    I've been using standard v-moda headphones with my Pre, and I keep wishing that the volume was louder. It's loud enough for standard quiet environments, but I would have a hard time listening to audio in a noisy environment.

Using my Moto S9 bluetooth headphones gets me over this hurdle, though, with their independent volume control.
    Am I the only one that has INSANE static when rotating my headphone jack in the headphone jack receptacle?
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzla View Post
    my apple 3g headphones work fine...
    i noticed it for the first time today. i wouldnt say "INSANE", but it was there never the less.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    yeah i have the same static issue. a bit dis-concerning.
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzla View Post
    no i have the 80 dollar In Ear headphones that control the ipods and such (they have the little controller on them with the mic).

They work great as headphones for the phone, but when they are in the mic doesnt work AND it disables the mic on the phone
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane112358 View Post
    Am I the only one that has INSANE static when rotating my headphone jack in the headphone jack receptacle?
    Is that a problem? First I've never owned a music product where this doesn't happen. Second, who the hell is going to be rotating their jack?

Seeing as you only have one post, sounds like a fanboi to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Is that a problem? First I've never owned a music product where this doesn't happen. Second, who the hell is going to be rotating their jack?

He could be working out which may create some twisting, who knows. I for one am not getting any static on any audio-outs.

I Stream music to my BT Car Stereo: Clean Sound
    I workout with Pre nearby + BT Headphones: No problem
    I tool around with regular 3.5mm headphones + Pre: No problem
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    No static for me either. Also don't have any problem with the volume output, even on headphones that I usually like a little extra juice for with my iPods.

Output from the Pre is pretty decent-- though there's no way to tweak the treble / bass, it sounds pretty good. Running it through a headphone amplifier right now just to see how well it amps...
    I can listen to Pandora and my Music through the Palm earphones without issue.

Once I get a call, Pandora pauses and the static starts, it's like a crackling.

I have two sets of Palm Pre headphones and they both perform the same.

If I unplug the earphones an use the phone "normally", there is no static. Plug the headphones back in and it's back to static city.

Sounds like a trip to the Sprint store is on my horizon ... (
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderjet01 View Post
    I can listen to Pandora and my Music through the Palm earphones without issue.

Once I get a call, Pandora pauses and the static starts, it's like a crackling.

I have two sets of Palm Pre headphones and they both perform the same.

If I unplug the earphones an use the phone "normally", there is no static. Plug the headphones back in and it's back to static city.

Sounds like a trip to the Sprint store is on my horizon ... (
    Are you sure it is not static coming from rubbing against the microphone? It is very sensitive.
    Makes more sense to have the port on the bottom of the phone, but I guess they couldn't do that with the design. When you think about it, you put your phone in your pocket bottom side up, so that when you take the phone out of your pocket, you don't have to flip your hand around; it's automatically right side up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post

I don't know if I would call it static, but I get "pops" and "crackles" if my headphone plug gets bumped a bit. This can happen a bit in my car since I am just using a double-male 3.5 cord to plug my pre into my car's audio system. I don't have BT unfortunately.

It happens on occasion with my headphones too. Hopefully this will become a non-issue as I am debating getting a Zune HD around Xmas. Since buying my Pre and all of the issues I have been having with iTunes, I am kind of on an anti-apple streak ;P
    I just wish it had that third ring in it to support video out. Perhaps they'll include that when they incorporate the video recorder.
    Does anyone have the problem of after plugging it in, the sound of the touchstone(battery charging alert) still sounds? I plugged my headset in and it the sound still comes out of the speaker.