Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    Dude I live in NYC so I am pretty sure my coverage area is okay.

My Pre still sucks with reception indoors and out and so does my wife's Pre. We can barely talk to one another and most times we get voicemail and the phones never ring.

My last 10 palm phones with Sprint never had reception issues. I think this is a hardware issue.
    It's because you live in New York.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    I didn't read the thread but did you try 'Update Network Settings'? It's in the Preferences from the phone menu.

Anyone know exactly what this does?
    I was wondering the same thing myself... I haven't used my Pre outside of wifi very much and I did set it to the Sprint-only network usage. I had read that the phone bounces between Sprint and Roaming a lot for no reason so I just decided to knip that in the **** right away. So far I really haven't had any call quality issues, but again, I've only used it in my apartment (which is in an area of 'best coverage') and inside a restaraunt. Signal was weak there, but the call was fine.

To be honest, I'm seeing the same signal fluctuations on the Pre that I see on my Verizon phone. Often Verizon signals bounces all over the place; however, I rarely drop a call. And by rarely I mean maybe 2-3 a year.

I'm a low usage user so perhaps my experience isn't going to best describe folks that talk a lot. I hardly ever go over 400ish minutes of talk-time per month.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    It's because you live in New York.
    Thanks for that most useful post.
    My Pre seems to be in 1xRTT a lot more than I ever noticed on my old Sprint Moto Q.

I'd say 50% of the time, I'm on EVDO... the rest of the time it's on 1xRTT...

And for some reason, whenever I turn off Wi-Fi -- the Pre goes to 1xRTT.

If I do a soft reset, suddently the phone goes to EVDO and I haven't moved an inch.

Strange...

Strength of signal seems pretty good at work and home... no better or worse than the Q.
    Just exchanged my Pre due to signal reception problems. Was dropping calls and coudn't hold EV while at work, which is in a very strong Sprint/Verizon area.

New phone is obviously better at attaining signal right out of the box. Is staying on EV about 80% of the time at work as of the last couple hours. 1st phone was able to lock onto EV about 10% of the time.

Jury is still out, waiting to see if i get the dropped calls I was experiencing with the first phone. None so far, but only a couple calls made as of yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

On a side note, this phone came in a different color box (yellow), and already had the first update installed. I had to manually install the update on phone #1. However, both this phone and the 1st phone have wiggly sliders when the unit is closed. A bit of a bummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    Just exchanged my Pre due to signal reception problems. Was dropping calls and coudn't hold EV while at work, which is in a very strong Sprint/Verizon area.

New phone is obviously better at attaining signal right out of the box. Is staying on EV about 80% of the time at work as of the last couple hours. 1st phone was able to lock onto EV about 10% of the time.

Jury is still out, waiting to see if i get the dropped calls I was experiencing with the first phone. None so far, but only a couple calls made as of yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

On a side note, this phone came in a different color box (yellow), and already had the first update installed. I had to manually install the update on phone #1. However, both this phone and the 1st phone have wiggly sliders when the unit is closed. A bit of a bummer.

The Pre has been a big disappointment for a lot of people. This is a MAJOR problem for palm. How many Pres' do you think were returned because of this problem? The other minor software bugs i could have lived with but not this one especially when you don't know if it is a software or a hardware problem and if its hardware based you will probably have to live with it. My Pre went back and my iphone is on the way to my door right now. Its to bad. I much would have preferred the pre. If iphone had multitasking it would have been close but it doesn't. The push notification sucks but i will live with it for the life of my contract (or maybe i will get lucky and apple will add it). I will possibly look at the pre when my contract is up but now they are going to have to wait 2 years for that.

Ncage
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncage1974 View Post
    The Pre has been a big disappointment ....I will possibly look at the pre when my contract is up but now they are going to have to wait 2 years for that.

Ncage
    I for one will be waiting with bated breath. Oh, and you don't need to sign a post. Your name is right there next to your post.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
    And my 700p can take a real beating. Try as I might (not intentionally, of course), I could not break my 700p. Great hardware, crappy ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    One thing I have noticed is when you have 1-2 bars you can hear the person PERFECTLY but they cannot hear you at all.
    I've been getting complaints from my wife that she doesn't understand me when I talk. Often she says I'm talking too loud. I think if I "dial my voice way back", she may be understanding me better. I know for a fact when I called my son from the supermarket, I could understand him clearly but he couldn't even understand what the words were that I was saying. I'm going to have to call my home answering machine in order to figure out how bad I really sound. I'm job-hunting, so I'd prefer that I sound good. Can the rest of your relate a bit more about how your voice quality is being heard on the other end?

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I've been told I sound much better if the keyboard is closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    I've been told I sound much better if the keyboard is closed.
    I can't see how that would matter, but something to test, definitely.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    No. The 700p was much worse than the Pre. I had (and still have) the 700p and now I own a Pre. The Pre has its problems, but it's nowhere near as bad as the 700p was. But, of course, at least the 700p could hold a cell signal.
    Yep, the 700p just had different problems. Lag, bluetooth, resets. It was good (or at least better) in the pre's two weakest areas: battery, and pulling in a signal. I kind of wonder what the Pre would be like if someone hooked a big a$$ battery up to it?

--
    Bob
    My reception for the PRE is bad and it is NOT my area and people who say there is no problem are in denial. Watch every review of pre its never full signal EVER. I have had almost every sanyo flip phone on sprint and always had full service same goes for my Treo 650, treo centro, treo 700, treo 755p, blackberry curve (att for work) and i ALWAYS has near full signal. My pre floats at 2 bars tops at ALL times i think i saw it full once. Its very sad and im worried this is not a sprint network issue because side by side on my friends treo 755p he has full and i have 2 bars. The only thing i can think of is that sprint is somehow capping the performance of the pre until their network can fully handle all of the data all of these phones will be sucking down on the network.
    Quote Originally Posted by KeFkA666 View Post
    My reception for the PRE is bad and it is NOT my area and people who say there is no problem are in denial. Watch every review of pre its never full signal EVER. I have had almost every sanyo flip phone on sprint and always had full service same goes for my Treo 650, treo centro, treo 700, treo 755p, blackberry curve (att for work) and i ALWAYS has near full signal. My pre floats at 2 bars tops at ALL times i think i saw it full once. Its very sad and im worried this is not a sprint network issue because side by side on my friends treo 755p he has full and i have 2 bars. The only thing i can think of is that sprint is somehow capping the performance of the pre until their network can fully handle all of the data all of these phones will be sucking down on the network.
    If that was even close to the case then I'm outta here faster the cr@p through a goose. As of right now I'm seriously disappointed in Palm/Sprint on the reception problem. I could see if i was on the fringe of the coverage map. Instead I'm smack in the deep dark green of the coverage map. What do I get for this 1-2 bars in the apartment if I'm lucky I go outside and I see 2-3 bars.

Sorry that's not good enough. I knew this was a rough around the edges product. But this issue is paramount. I have no problems kissing this PRE goodbye. Have an unlocked Iphone 2g on Tmo. Will gladly jump to the DeathStar and get the new 3G S. That and the fact that I get a corp plan discount that will be less then what I'm paying for Sprint.
    Sigh.

I travel and play music for a living. Every band and crew member besides me has an iPhone and I'll admit I've been jealous. BUT...I was/am a Sprint loyalist and took great pride when I'd folks borrow my 755p because I was the only one getting signal or had any battery life remaining. That has all come CRASHING down this week. We drove from Nashville to Iowa this weekend for a couple of shows and could barely use the phone AT ALL in transit on our tour bus--which means frustrated wife at home b/c I was practically unavailable. Then...when I could talk (she has a Pre too), if she was at home, she had to be outside on our front porch in order for her Pre to work. This absolutely wasn't an issue with our 755p's. I just downloaded 1.0.3, so here's hoping this week is better. If not, I'm not sure what we'll do. Probably reactivate our 755s.

It's such a shame b/c I've been with Sprint since 1998 and have always been uber impressed with the coverage as I've toured from state to state and split my time b/t Los Angeles and Nashville. Never been an issue...until now. And it's a HUGE one because at the heart of the matter is THIS IS A CELL PHONE. Reception should be the absolute top priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by la-via-gnashville View Post
    ... We drove from Nashville to Iowa this weekend for a couple of shows and could barely use the phone AT ALL in transit on our tour bus--which means frustrated wife at home b/c I was practically unavailable.
    I just sent you a PM with some ideas. (I'd be interested in knowing how this turns out.)

good luck,
    --
    Bob
    Another one here - I returned my Pre after 2 weeks because the 3G signal was so inconsistent. Some days I could drive to work (on a busy city street) and stream Pandora all the way. Some days it would drop down to 1x and not regain full strength without a reboot.

I am very disappointed - I loved the phone but hated how it would get wicked hot while hunting for a signal in some areas. If it weren't for that, I'd still be rocking the Pre instead of my new 3GS.

I miss the hell out of multitasking, though! The first thing I did when I left the AT&T store was play Pandora - then I wanted to check my email and couldn't without killing the music!

Well I still have 30 days to return the 3GS if the Pre gets it's signal issues sorted!

-n8
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789