Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    This is a duplicate post, but I don't know that folks here have seen my other thread so I feel it's worth repeating here:

The cellular antenna is at the bottom of the Pre. Cupping the phone with your hand or holding it below the word "Palm" on the back will lead to a really screwy signal and the person on the other end of your call getting choppy voice, followed inevitably by a dropped call with "signal fade" message.

If you slide the keyboard open to get that antenna away from your hand, hold the phone by the sides with your thumb and middle finger, and press the "Sprint" logo against your ear with your index finger, the in-call signal is actually quite good.

-darren
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenf View Post
    This is a duplicate post, but I don't know that folks here have seen my other thread so I feel it's worth repeating here:

The cellular antenna is at the bottom of the Pre. Cupping the phone with your hand or holding it below the word "Palm" on the back will lead to a really screwy signal and the person on the other end of your call getting choppy voice, followed inevitably by a dropped call with "signal fade" message.

If you slide the keyboard open to get that antenna away from your hand, hold the phone by the sides with your thumb and middle finger, and press the "Sprint" logo against your ear with your index finger, the in-call signal is actually quite good.

-darren
    LOL. That's all. LOL.
    Then that's a ****-poor design.

We shouldn't have to perform gymnastics just to get good call quality. I don't want to open the keyboard every time I make a call. What's the point of having a slider phone if you have to keep the keyboard constantly open?
    This is my experience with the signal:

I had an old phone, just a basic POS I was using until the Pre came out and I never had a problem with it at my apartment. The signal was awful at work.

I got the Pre, the signal was better at work, and in my apartment, I had a call dropped twice in about 20mins. The bars fluctuate a lot in my apartment and in most of the Charleston, SC area. Right now I'm sitting in my house in FL with a consistent looking signal and it seems to be working properly. I did a ##debug# here and the signal strength seems to be farily consistent in the -90dBm range. I will have to check what it is in SC, but I also noticed I get a lot of multipath in my apartment. It's possible the antenna design is poor in dealing with multipath or the algorithms they use aren't very good. It could also be something to do with their AGC (automatic gain control).

I wonder if my work would let me take our channel emulator and RSA outside and hook it up to my phone. I could run some different tests on it and see what signal characteristics cause the problem.

-darren
    You figured out squat. No offense, but Im tired of all these "OMG! I figured out blah blah blah!!" threads.

I use a bluetooth headset & dont even touch my phone & get the signal fluctuations, so explain that one. Oh, and I have Airave too.
    Quote Originally Posted by feivel View Post
    Ditto. Still wondering if there are any folks out there who DON'T have the problem, meaning an exchange would help. I'm planning to drop by a store to see their demo phones, and see if they have the same issue. If they don't, I'll exchange my phone for one that works in the store, if possible.

If not, then yeah, I'll have to return mine as well. Fortunately, I haven't ported my number yet, so it'll be easy. BTW, how much does sprint refund/charge you when you return to the store? It it the full month? Pro-rated? Any extra ugly fees? And if they eventually fix this thing, how long would you need to wait before re-purchasing?

IF it's like Verizon it works like this: you pay prorated charges for service, and you can repurchase a device after 3 days, without penalty. If you swap phones, then they charge a restocking fee (weird, but true). That's all Verizon info, mind you. I suspect there wouldn't be a lot of difference between carriers due to regulations protecting cell phone consumers.
    i did ##33284 on my centro and the palm, and the centro's RSSI is consistently 10 - 15 better than the pre when both are in my hands at the same time. that makes me assume the pre's antennae is not as good as the centro.

can someone explain to me how to understand the evdo signal strength?
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    Dayum! The treo 700p was bad with its lag, crashes, pocket tunes stuttering and bluetooth problems, but even THAT seems to pale in comparison to what's happening with the Pre on a relatively large scale. This is a MUST FIX for sprint!
    No. The 700p was much worse than the Pre. I had (and still have) the 700p and now I own a Pre. The Pre has its problems, but it's nowhere near as bad as the 700p was. But, of course, at least the 700p could hold a cell signal.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    Then that's a ****-poor design.

We shouldn't have to perform gymnastics just to get good call quality. I don't want to open the keyboard every time I make a call. What's the point of having a slider phone if you have to keep the keyboard constantly open?
    I agree that it's a poor design. I would prefer an antenna nub at the top to get the antenna out in the clear, but the riverstone concept was a driving design element for which all else was sacrificed.

This thread was started by someone who didn't want to have to return the Pre because it was unusable as a cell phone. That was my position as well. I was glad to discover a work-around that lets me keep the pre. For someone else, having an easy to use cell phone with great signal will be more important than compromising to get the other functionality in the Pre.

-darren
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    You figured out squat. No offense, but Im tired of all these "OMG! I figured out blah blah blah!!" threads.
    I wish I had seen those threads. It would have saved me a lot of headache with dropped calls over the last few days.

-darren
    Interesting just did the debug ## thing and mine was 10 better than the centro ... This is assuming the higher number is better ..

Using airave by the way in my apt!
    Thing does wonders...
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    Interesting just did the debug ## thing and mine was 10 better than the centro ... This is assuming the higher number is better ..
    It depends on what you mean by "higher." Since these are negative numbers -80 is higher than -90. If you keep this in mind, higher numbers are better.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "higher." Since these are negative numbers -80 is higher than -90. If you keep this in mind, higher numbers are better.
    yea i use to get 5 bars in my apartment with my treo 755p now i get 3 bars and i have droped call around town. I never had this problem this could be the end of sprint for me if they dont fix it. but i emailed them and they emailed me back saying they havnt heard of this issue but if they did they would fix it.

here is part of an email i got back from them that ticked me off.

Thank you for contacting Sprint about the Palm Pre reception.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused, as you are facing problems
    with the reception problems on your Palm Pre handset.

As of now Palm pre reception is not a known issue and we are not
    receiving any emails regarding this issue.

If it comes out to be a known issue, we will definitely come up with a
    solution, so that this issue would be resolved.

It seems there is some fault in your handset, so I would suggest that
    you can visit a nearest Sprint repair center and get it checked. Here's
    the hyperlink to view the location of repair center:

http:// www.spritnstorelocator.com

The handset is still under 30 days exchange policy. You can visit
    original point of purchase and exchange your handset with the new one.

We value your business and appreciate the opportunity to serve you.
    Please reply to this email or visit Sprint.com/mysprint if we can be of
    further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Roland C.
    Sprint
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by feivel View Post
    Ditto. Still wondering if there are any folks out there who DON'T have the problem, meaning an exchange would help. I'm planning to drop by a store to see their demo phones, and see if they have the same issue. If they don't, I'll exchange my phone for one that works in the store, if possible.

If not, then yeah, I'll have to return mine as well. Fortunately, I haven't ported my number yet, so it'll be easy. BTW, how much does sprint refund/charge you when you return to the store? It it the full month? Pro-rated? Any extra ugly fees? And if they eventually fix this thing, how long would you need to wait before re-purchasing?
    While there is a lot of noise on the issue, I believe that most people do not have the problem. I certainly don't and after a week I have never dropped a call, have only seen it move from evdo once, and my battery life is great. And I travel a lot in areas where covearge can be spotty. I suggest you try exchanging your Pre for another that might have better build quality. I would exchange mine in heartbeat if it dropped calls a lot and couldn't last a day without a charge.
    I didn't read the thread but did you try 'Update Network Settings'? It's in the Preferences from the phone menu.

Anyone know exactly what this does?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    This is what I think ..A lot of these Pre's were bad (not all of them) because Palm either skipped quality control, or the phones that did not pass 100% ..they let them go anyways so they could sell as many as they could on day one to give them a better image in the financial market (which it has improved).

So to the people who are having all sort of problems, consider your phone one of those phones that did not pass QA. But it booted so they sent it out anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post

Using airave by the way in my apt!
    Thing does wonders...
    Really? I hope so because I can't even get calls in my apt. in NYC on my Pre and my wife's Pre is the same! Sprint finally is sending me a free airave so I am going to wait to see if it helps. My wife however is DONE WITH THE PRE and wants her Centro back and I don't blame her. I called her 40 times on my Pre to her Pre today (phones side by side) and her phone rand 4 times. That means she is missing exactly 90% of her calls and I am too judging by the amount of voicemail I am SUDDENLY SINCE THE PRE getting. And don't get me started on dropped calls that do make it past voicemail!

Even texting is becoming an issue with our Pres. About 30% seem to not make it to the other phone!!!

When this phone works, it is awesome!
    Has anyone gotten better debug numbers after and exchange?

Are people with air waves seeing lots of fluctuations still?

Seriously this thread is light on useful information and heavy on the *****ing.
    I think Airave is NOT an acceptable solution.

If this problem is real, one shouldn't have to use up your internet ISP provided bandwidth to use with your cell phone.

At the minimum, Sprint should pay YOU for creating a mini tower for Sprint cell customers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    .....you should check the coverage in your area BEFORE buying a phone
    Dude I live in NYC so I am pretty sure my coverage area is okay.

My Pre still sucks with reception indoors and out and so does my wife's Pre. We can barely talk to one another and most times we get voicemail and the phones never ring.

My last 10 palm phones with Sprint never had reception issues. I think this is a hardware issue.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast