Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I had to return 2 Pres because I couldn't maintain ANY signal. And the person that posted being able to hear people clearly at 1-2 bars but them not able to hear you nailed it dead on. That was my case as well. Great phone, not great service/antenna.
    well, I'm done
    I loved the Pre but it was useless to me as a phone. I missed and dropped most calls, and the few times I had signal the other people couldn't hear anything I said. The phone overheated a lot, the battery drained quickly and the alarms didn't work. I liked it as a new toy but it wasn't a reliable tool for work FOR ME.
    Good luck to you guys, maybe I revisit the Pre idea next year, for now I'm sticking with BB.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Its packed up and going to the Sprint store when they open Sunday. No signal home or office or dropped calls. Battery drain before noon. Maybe the Pre with Verizon in Jan will be a winner. For now its back to the the classic 2 yr old iPhone.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    hope it just because the area....not the issue of phone hardware
    Dayum! The treo 700p was bad with its lag, crashes, pocket tunes stuttering and bluetooth problems, but even THAT seems to pale in comparison to what's happening with the Pre on a relatively large scale. This is a MUST FIX for sprint!
    I really believe the battery issue & the signal issue are related. Meaning almost everyone thats having battery issues is also noticing their signal jumping from full to no bars & also from EV to 1X (which will kill your battery). I sure as hell know BOTH my Pres are doing this (wife & mine).

And yes, I have Airave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    Never in a million years did I think I would even consider returning this thing. I don't want to... I love it!!! But if they don't address this before the 30 days is over I have no choice. I have dropped more call in the last 5 days then the last year and a half.

FYI: I am on my 2nd Pre. I exchanged it because of the dropped calls and the 2nd on is just as bad.

That blows! I had daily dropped calls on Cingular for 3 years, switched to Verizon and a Star Tac phone and things improved somewhat. My biggest issue was receiving calls at my home on the Star Tac. They wouldn't go through about 40+ percent of the time. Then I got a Kyocera--a LITTLE bit better, but not much. Next, I got an LG8300 and honest to god, I have not had ONE dropped or missed call in over 2-1/2 YEARS. HONEST. Incredible, but true. ANd that holds true for where ever I've used it, which is in 7 states. Doesn't seem possible, but that's the facts. Somehow, some phones and some services conspire to create a lousy customer experience when it comes to call quality/connection reliability. The iPhone is notorious, for example, for bad call quality and lousy reception. I had a Storm for a week and it's signal strength indication made me leary of keeping it, because is often had just 1 bar at my house, but it didn't miss a call. Voice quality of the Storm was fantastic--something I miss about it, but don't miss all the reboots and other stupid phone tricks it played. The Pre might be one of those phones that just doesn't have reception as good as other models.
    Coming from the iPhone which went through the SAME issues when it was version 1.0, I'm confident it's a software issue and not hardware. This is good because it's fixable via a firmware update then. I sit in the same spot and watch my phone go from 5 bars-0 bars, EV-1X and all over. I think it's software and I think Palm's going to have it fixed soon. They can't sell a phone that doesn't get reception well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lostshootingstar View Post
    Im not sure what makes you all think this can be fixed with a software update. It may very well be a hardware problem.
    Blame Broadcom. Or more correctly Qualcomm cheating on Broadcom.
    I'm hoping that there is an update from palm sometime this week. They know there is a problem. Question is will the fix be in before the new Iphone comes out next week. I'm digging the Pre but this reception issue will drive me to give it up in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    I'm hoping that there is an update from palm sometime this week. They know there is a problem. Question is will the fix be in before the new Iphone comes out next week. I'm digging the Pre but this reception issue will drive me to give it up in a heartbeat.
    Cool, I think you are one of just a few Pre owners who are thinking logically, instead of being blinded by the hype the phone has enjoyed the last few months.
    The fact that the signal is fluctuating so much points to a software problem in my eyes. It keeps boosting then lowering trying to "hone-in" on the correct power level.

My old Centro does show an average of -10db better than my Pre sitting right next to each other.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I will just speak for myself here and say in my area of southern California my pre gets better reception then my verizon bb, been doing a side by side comparison wherever I drive and the pre is on par and better in some areas. My bars don't fluctuate and I get signal even in large buildings.

If you want I can take pictures :-P

So...yea..
    Signal bars dont mean ***** a lot of times though, so you can take as many pictures as you want.

The test is call quality & maintaining that call. Data too.
    So it looks like ill have to drive around calling people with both phones then, Ill take audio samples and paste them here

Im just saying I have no problem with signal issues and got more dropped calls at my house then with verizon, take it or leave it *shrug*

In other words in an area with decent Verizon coverage and sprint, the phone works fine. I think it is a network issue, sprint doesn't work everywhere, you should check the coverage in your area BEFORE buying a phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    So it looks like ill have to drive around calling people with both phones then, Ill take audio samples and paste them here

Im just saying I have no problem with signal issues and got more dropped calls at my house then with verizon, take it or leave it *shrug*

In other words in an area with decent Verizon coverage and sprint, the phone works fine. I think it is a network issue, sprint doesn't work everywhere, you should check the coverage in your area BEFORE buying a phone
    Yeah, and if you think those coverage maps are even halfway accurate then I dont know what to tell you dude. According to them, most cities have 100% full coverage everywhere you go & we all just know thats true dont we. Dont we??

Yeah, I think you need to stop trusting signal bars & coverage maps as the end all be all of coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrals View Post
    I think the problem is that some (many even) of these people are long time sprint customers who have been able to use the service just fine with out a fluctuation in service. There is no reason for them to expect a significant loss in quality because they got a new phone with the same company.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Cool, I think you are one of just a few Pre owners who are thinking logically, instead of being blinded by the hype the phone has enjoyed the last few months.
    This is the thing. I came to Sprint looking for better reception. I saw the Pre in vids and said that's a phone I'm willing to change providers for. For the most part this phone has met and even exceeded my expectations. The one area that was paramount was reception. Without that the phone sadly fails.

I'm not giving up hope. But my patience is wearing thinner by the day.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Ditto. Still wondering if there are any folks out there who DON'T have the problem, meaning an exchange would help. I'm planning to drop by a store to see their demo phones, and see if they have the same issue. If they don't, I'll exchange my phone for one that works in the store, if possible.

If not, then yeah, I'll have to return mine as well. Fortunately, I haven't ported my number yet, so it'll be easy. BTW, how much does sprint refund/charge you when you return to the store? It it the full month? Pro-rated? Any extra ugly fees? And if they eventually fix this thing, how long would you need to wait before re-purchasing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    I think the problem is that some (many even) of these people are long time sprint customers who have been able to use the service just fine with out a fluctuation in service. There is no reason for them to expect a significant loss in quality because they got a new phone with the same company.
    Bingo!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast