Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sake View Post
    So you bought a $299 phone that needs an additional signal booster in your home to be used when a $10 used Sprint phone from Ebay would have no reception problem at all? Seriously? That is supposed to be acceptable?

Again folks, this is just Sprint medicating the problem. It's not a fix. It's a cheaper way for them and Palm to ignore a problem. Demand more for your money. Return faulty products or corporations will continue to sell you crap.
    This line of thinking makes sense, but Apple still sold over 20M iPhone's.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Well - when i have a signal, my Pre works Great. Fast downloads and all. slowly over this week, the signal has gotten weaker. Now I am runnign in to issues where, standing in the same place tuesday and being able to at Least send and receive texts, i get nothing. And - when i go out side, i may have 3 bars, and the phone will Still Not connect. I have run through the tests and re-booted it a bunch. No wi-fi in my area, so that's off.

All I know is that even though new phone/new os = many initial bugs, Palm should be letting people know. I have been with sprint for years and never liked their coverage (i am in atlanta) but I could at least make calls... the Pre is pretty worthless without connection - just as the Mona Lisa is worthless in the dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    My phone will randomly cycle from EVDO to 1x, to No signal, back to EVDO. With no intervention what so ever. I live in a major city which is a good area and work in another major city that's a good area. Both experience the same issue.
    In your pocket, on the table, in your hand? What's the signal like in debug?
  4.    #104  
    My theory is this: I have confidence that Pam/Sprint will fix this issue. I have no idea if it will be fixed in the next few weeks. If Sprint wants me NOT to cancel my contract and give them a fair chance to fix the issue, they need to send me the Airave (which they agreed to do). I know this is a band-aid but it's one I'm willing to live with given that I really love this device
    There is no spoon
    Yeah I can imagine that whatever problem you guys are having is not wide-spread, and will be fixed sometime soon. If you can't deal with the problem--return the phone. I know about 10 people personally who are on waiting lists, trying to get this phone. My brother, his wife, and a few people in her family are looking to get this phone--from AT&T.

They would gladly take your phone, since I'm sure it works fine in this area.
    I live in NYC so no signal issues with all my other 100 palm phones in the last 10 or so.

Now I have the pre and so does my wife. About 90% of our calls go to voicemail and NEVER ring on our end.

I just got off the phone with sprint tech support and they re-set the signal to both of our phones and only then was the tech able to get us on the phone without going to VM.

This is silly!!!
    So I just tried to call myself from my wife's Pre and my Pre didn't ring and went to voice mail.

This is pissing me off.

So much for Sprint resolving the issue. Maybe next time I call Sprint I can speak to a witch doctor. That may likely do me more good.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    the palm phones have sucked *** since the 755p regarding signal reception, unfortunately
    My centro had much better reception!
    I wonder how many of us whom are having signal/reception issues have the touchstone back installed on our phone. My reception was just as bad as my Treo 650 which used to have good (not great) reception in my office. As the Treo has been beat up, reception quality has gone down. So naturally, I'm looking forward to a new Pre to solve this problem. NOPE. Until I thought about the fact that the touchstone back lays on top of the battery and ANTENNA!

Removed that sucker and put the mirror black plain back on. Voila! Signal jumped from an iffy 1-2 to a solid 5! Thinking about eBaying a Touchstone. We'll see what happens when I go to my other office next week.
    I got this phone specifically for the functionality but also for the network that sprint supposedly had. When I was in the Corp store last Saturday, I told the rep I was switching because of said network. There is a well known dead zone in the town next to me. Tmo cr@ps out all the time there. Thankfully I do get some bars there on the Pre (about 2 if I'm lucky).

Now where I live I'm smack dab in the middle of a Very Green Best zone on Sprints coverage map. Guess what, I get worse reception here then in the Known dead area. I've seen Evdo go up then down 1rt to just plain R for roaming. That is while just sitting in the same seat in my house within just a few minutes. Heck my Iphone jailbroken on Tmo get 4 bars here at home.

Oh BTW just on a lark I had another family member on a ATT Go phone. I took out her chip and I get 5 bars on the Iphone with it. I also get 4 to 5 bars in that dead zone I mentioned earlier.

It's a real easy decision. If by the end of the month there is no proper resolution. I along with many I think on here will be sadly returning the Pre's they soo want to keep and love. Oh with a 16% discount I can get from my corporate acct with ATT, I can be close to what I'm going to be paying on the data everything plan I have with Sprint.

Come on guys, FIX THIS THING!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    I wonder how many of us whom are having signal/reception issues have the touchstone back installed on our phone. My reception was just as bad as my Treo 650 which used to have good (not great) reception in my office. As the Treo has been beat up, reception quality has gone down. So naturally, I'm looking forward to a new Pre to solve this problem. NOPE. Until I thought about the fact that the touchstone back lays on top of the battery and ANTENNA!

Removed that sucker and put the mirror black plain back on. Voila! Signal jumped from an iffy 1-2 to a solid 5! Thinking about eBaying a Touchstone. We'll see what happens when I go to my other office next week.
    Sorry no Touchstone here. Wanted one but they ran out by the time I got to purchase. I got shiny and still terrible reception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post

hmmmm... start a poll? i will test this in the morning. got my airrave today but it does not cover my whole house...
    ETUTREO300
    In this review from phonedog.com I just noticed the phone is bouncing between 3-5 bars while he is using it. That in itself isn't a big deal; however, I also noticed is that it keeps swapping between EVDO and 1X with great signal. Check it out from the 12 minute mark. You'll notice full bars and the EVDO icon keeps changing to 1X. Then he makes a comment about how warm it's getting....

By the way, for what it's worth, this was a launch phone from the black box.

*edit* I just noticed around the 16:30 mark his signal is all over the place... 1 bar to 5 bars with EVDO and 1X still fluctuating.
    I get the same at home and it really drains my battery. Would airrave fix this?
    Talked to Sprint tech support on the issue. The guy I talked with said he has been getting at least one call a day on the reception issue since the pre came out. He put me on hold while he checked computer and talked with supervisor. When he came back he said the problem is listed in the system as "known issue" and that "it" (I assumed his computer or some memo) says Palm is working on a fix.

Well at least it a "known issue....."
    Has anyone emailed or called Palm about it dropping full signal EVDO for 1X?
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Talked to Sprint tech support on the issue. The guy I talked with said he has been getting at least one call a day on the reception issue since the pre came out. He put me on hold while he checked computer and talked with supervisor. When he came back he said the problem is listed in the system as "known issue" and that "it" (I assumed his computer or some memo) says Palm is working on a fix.

Well at least it a "known issue....."
    so it's a palm issue, and not a sprint issue?

when the phone gets full bars, it works great, but when it doesnt (aka when i'm at home) it really stinks. and i have a centro with sprint and it doesn't seem to be bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    so it's a palm issue, and not a sprint issue?

when the phone gets full bars, it works great, but when it doesnt (aka when i'm at home) it really stinks. and i have a centro with sprint and it doesn't seem to be bad.
    I think it's a Palm Pre issue. I really don't expect this to be fixed with a software update either, I think it's just a byproduct of cheap manufacturing. It is my assumption that the phone has poor (if any) electrical insulation and is interfering with the network.

Back on the thread topic... here's another video from a professional reviewer. He shows the wobble on his phone as well just after the 10:05 minute mark:
    Last edited by sake; 06/13/2009 at 12:30 AM. Reason: typo
    Sadly to say I didn't know that this was that much of any issue. Coming from VZW I was expecting to not get as stellar coverage, but I guess I was kinda in denial too. My Pre jumps from EV to 1x to Roaming all day long at home. I work in downtown Baltimore and DC and have noticed it doesn't jump as much, but data use on the phone is almost non existent. I was chalking it up to lots of new Pre's busy network. But it hasn't gotten any better. Basically if I don't have a wifi connection around, forget using data apps. Both mine and my girlfriends have to be restarted daily and update network settings to even get a Ev signal. I was actually beginning to worry about this. I've called Sprint once and they didn't even offer a discount on the airave to me. I'll be calling again because unfortunately as long as I have been waiting and wanting this phone, it does me no good as a brick. Sorry Palm and Sprint. I really don't want to, but this has got to be fixed.

On a side note, I have a touchstone back cover and my girlfriend doesn't. Her phone's reception is worse than mine.