Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    I never said anything about how many bars there were. I could care less. Either it works or it doesn't...and it ain't.
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    First never go by bars. The bars usually don't tell what signal really is. If you want to check the real signal hit ##debug# on dial pad. I was at the Sprint store today and actually asked about the reception problem. He said he has heard of the problem and was told they are trying to find out what is causing the problem. They told him for a temporary fix try setting the network to Sprint Only instead of automatic. It might help. He told me that that tech support was unsure if it was hardware or software yet.

In my area the signal is excellent. But I did check the real RF signal and it is at 72. With my HTC Touch it was always around 67. So the Pre is a little weaker. I could be antenna thing or some sort of software, or a little of both. Only time will tell.

It is funny because a lot of professional reviewers said in their reviews that the reception was pretty good with their demo's, so I wonder if it is the 1.02 new firmware that was updated.
    What's the exact part you are reading for signal strength? "RX Power"? Lower is better?
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    At work my Receive signal Strength (EVDO) is from -85 to -113 and my receive power (EVDO) is between -84 to -95
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Who is "throwing airraves at everybody," because I haven't been offered one--nor have I even seen one before
    If you've been reading the posts throughout this forum regarding signal/reception problems, and the Palm Support Forum as well, you would've come across dozens of people suffering from the exact same symptons that I suffer from, and who claim they have been offered free airraves from the Sprint CS when they've called and cried rivers of sorrow. Shipping, service, etc. all gratis. And we know Sprint CS hasn't the generous reputation.

No I don't know these people, so they could all be pulling a great big joke on you and me, but I'm just not that skeptical. And believe me, I'm a pretty skeptical soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    If you've been reading the posts throughout this forum regarding signal/reception problems, and the Palm Support Forum as well, you would've come across dozens of people suffering from the exact same symptons that I suffer from, and who claim they have been offered free airraves from the Sprint CS when they've called and cried rivers of sorrow. Shipping, service, etc. all gratis. And we know Sprint CS hasn't the generous reputation.

No I don't know these people, so they could all be pulling a great big joke on you and me, but I'm just not that skeptical. And believe me, I'm a pretty skeptical soul.
    I don't doubt it much - that is actually a low cost item for Sprint to keep a 2-yr data plan active. I have heard of this before the Pre came out, just not as much! I am thinking about one too - even if I have to pay - because I have always been in a area that fluctuates. But I want to see what an update will do first.
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    This is going to hurt sprint. If sprint can't fix this reception strength issue - which is essentially the whole point of owning a cellphone, they are in trouble. It will be interesting to see what happens during the next 30 days or so.
    It is funny because a lot of professional reviewers said in their reviews that the reception was pretty good with their demo's, so I wonder if it is the 1.02 new firmware that was updated.
    The professional reviewers also didn't have screen discoloration, keyboards that shut their phones off, overheating issues, and dismal battery life. Why, you may ask? Because their Pres were not rushed down an assembly line with no quality control in China just to make a June 6th launch date.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    At work my Receive signal Strength (EVDO) is from -85 to -113 and my receive power (EVDO) is between -84 to -95
    OK, got it. I am sitting at -40, then as I move a little in the room, it will jump to -80 to -96, then back down in the 30's-40's. Definitely need an update - I am not getting the throughput I had with the Touch Pro.

My call quality does not seem to be too compromised - I still get my calls and make good calls.
    One thing I have noticed is when you have 1-2 bars you can hear the person PERFECTLY but they cannot hear you at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DivisionByZero View Post
    Mine jumps between Ev, 1x, and no data connection, even in an area with a strong signal. Sometimes I completely loose voice. If this isn't fixed within the 30 day period, its definately going back. And I really don't want to have to reutrn my Pre. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by justjill3 View Post
    Same here. I've been on the phone with Sprint and Palm.
    I have the same problem here I called Sprint twice already, if they don't fix this problem I'll have to return to AT&T
    What would be the acceptable (or best) range for this?
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    What would be the acceptable (or best) range for this?
    I have heard of people in the -30's to -60's. The lower the number the better as it is in dB's.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I don't doubt it much - that is actually a low cost item for Sprint to keep a 2-yr data plan active. I have heard of this before the Pre came out, just not as much! I am thinking about one too - even if I have to pay - because I have always been in a area that fluctuates. But I want to see what an update will do first.
    When I called and had crap reception at my new home (not as bad as now with the pre) they said "You can buy an airwave" and i was like... wtf...?
  13. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    sadly i certainly noticed slightly less reception than my touch pro. but i have yet to drop a call, however i do wish the earpiece was a bit louder but im sure 3rd party apps will clear that up as pandora is plenty loud
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I had a signal problem with all of the Treo phones I've had, especially when I'm home. I haven't noticed anything different yet since I just got the phone yesterday. I will pay more attention to it.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    My signal is way worse with this phone, it's actually starting to genuinely **** me off after these couple days. I had a Blackberry Curve for 8 months, not even for a split second did I roam on that phone. I'm roaming 70% of the time with this phone. The 30% being outside, I cannot be under a roof and have this thing connected to the Sprint network at the same time. And considering that a lot of apps don't work while roaming it's a big deal. My other two complaints from my Blackberry is I can't change the SMS ringtone, now that wouldn't be a problem usually but it leads into my third complaint. THE VIBRATE ON THIS IS GODDAMN PITIFUL. With my old phone the only time I couldn't feel my phone go off is if I was walking and it wasn't physically touching me, with this I can have it in my lap, and never feel it go off, it's annoying as hell.

I'm with you guys, Sprint/Palm have their 30 days, otherwise they've got a big problem. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE this phone. WebOS is amazing, but ANSWERING my calls is a must, and I can't with the vibrate, and MAINTAINING my call is another, which I can't with this God awful reception.

/vent
    I have heard of people in the -30's to -60's. The lower the number the better as it is in dB's.
    That's what I thought, but as I was watching it - as I got more bars the number went higher, less bars = lower number. I think higher is actually better.
    Global Posts
    741 Global Posts
    First never go by bars. The bars usually don't tell what signal really is. If you want to check the real signal hit ##debug# on dial pad.

In my area the signal is excellent. But I did check the real RF signal and it is at 72. With my HTC Touch it was always around 67. So the Pre is a little weaker. I could be antenna thing or some sort of software, or a little of both. Only time will tell.
    Thanks for the tip. I don't have the Pre yet still sitting on the fence. This helped confirm that my 800w receives a much better signal than the Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Wow, it sound like some people got it rough. I guess I should feel lucky for having a problem-free Pre.

I checked the debug menu on my Pre and my Receive Signal Strength (EVDO) (is that what I'm supposed to look at?) stays in the -30's and sometimes goes up to the low -40's.

I live in Seattle by the way and the signal has been absolutely great for the last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMPRIDE View Post
    Wow, it sound like some people got it rough. I guess I should feel lucky for having a problem-free Pre.

I checked the debug menu on my Pre and my Receive Signal Strength (EVDO) (is that what I'm supposed to look at?) stays in the -30's and sometimes goes up to the low -40's.

I live in Seattle by the way and the signal has been absolutely great for the last week.
    I live in the Seattle area and have been sitting on the fence on getting a Pre, so it's good to know the signal is pretty good in this region! Thanks for the info.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    The people having problems could easily sell their Pre on ebay for $500...
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast