Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Wow. Didn't know the issues were that widespread.
    There are mulitudes of threads regarding this issue. On multiple web sites no less. It is a very prominent problem. It does really seem like a hardware issue, since some folks claim to have no issues, and yet we all have the same software at this point.

It blows my mind that Palm would risk their future by relying on the Chinese to produce this thing. Nothing against China personally, but their reputation for shoddy manufacturing and downright lack of any manufacturing regulations and or quality control is legendary! Why would they risk it? Talk about rolling the dice!! Sheesh!
    First never go by bars. The bars usually don't tell what signal really is. If you want to check the real signal hit ##debug# on dial pad. I was at the Sprint store today and actually asked about the reception problem. He said he has heard of the problem and was told they are trying to find out what is causing the problem. They told him for a temporary fix try setting the network to Sprint Only instead of automatic. It might help. He told me that that tech support was unsure if it was hardware or software yet.

In my area the signal is excellent. But I did check the real RF signal and it is at 72. With my HTC Touch it was always around 67. So the Pre is a little weaker. I could be antenna thing or some sort of software, or a little of both. Only time will tell.

It is funny because a lot of professional reviewers said in their reviews that the reception was pretty good with their demo's, so I wonder if it is the 1.02 new firmware that was updated.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    well, i swapped my pre for another one, just like Sprint tech told me to do, and i'm already seeing the same signal problems. (just as I wrote that sentence my phone went from one bar on the 1x signal to a couple bars roaming)

On the first Pre:
    I had LOTS of voicemails that appeared out of nowhere...no trace of missed calls. I dropped calls left and right (it took five calls before my signal held long enough to even call customer support at *2). I roamed more in the last couple of days than in my total time with Sprint (almost 10 years)

(after writing that last bit my phone seemed to be back to 1x but then went back to roaming right in front of me)

So yeah, if this isn't addressed, not only will I be returned the Pre, but I'll be switching to another carrier.

Like another poster said, all they need to do is address the issue...tell us they are working on it. tell us something.

if the signal issues are not resolved, I wonder if that is grounds to terminate the contract without the ETF.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    There are mulitudes of threads regarding this issue. On multiple web sites no less. It is a very prominent problem. It does really seem like a hardware issue, since some folks claim to have no issues, and yet we all have the same software at this point.

It blows my mind that Palm would risk their future by relying on the Chinese to produce this thing. Nothing against China personally, but their reputation for shoddy manufacturing and downright lack of any manufacturing regulations and or quality control is legendary! Why would they risk it? Talk about rolling the dice!! Sheesh!
    It's because people want things both ways. They want high quality but they also want walmart dirt-cheap prices. Most manufacturing of electronics is done out of the US because people would freak when they saw the price tag on a device made by people making decent wages.

It's pretty effed up but until people are willing to do without all sorts of luxury items for bottom-of-the-barrel prices, the whole system will be based on cheap foreign labor.

On the bright side, the Chinese are doing an excellent job of pulling their nation into the modern age on the strength of their work ethic and supply of natural resources. The rise in per capita income and other metrics has gone up very quickly in the past decade or so.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    i have contacted sprint as well and they tech guy says he hasnt heard much about this. i told him to come to this forum and look at all the issues. there temporary fix for me or to keep me happy was to give me a airrave. I would rather have a phone thats fixed but if the airrave works i am happy with that. only having issues at my house.
    I've tried setting it to Sprint only. Guess what happens then. Yep, occasionally, no cell service period! When set to automatic and data roaming, it at least jumps onto a verizon signal. My phone fluctuates from 5 bars EV to 0 bars, to 5 bars Roaming. All while just sitting on my desk looking sexy as hell.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Yeah, but that sexy, multitasking paper weight sure is great...lol.

I have the same experience as you. Even at home is bad, but especially at work.

I've tried setting it to Sprint only. Guess what happens then. Yep, occasionally, no cell service period! When set to automatic and data roaming, it at least jumps onto a verizon signal. My phone fluctuates from 5 bars EV to 0 bars, to 5 bars Roaming. All while just sitting on my desk looking sexy as hell.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Lol so I had 5 bars, then went to 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 then 2 then 3 then 1 then 5 all within 60 seconds.
    I haven't had any of these issues. No dropped calls, no bouncing, nothing...and I'm sitting in a freakin' server room that is KNOWN to kill the signal. I even have flashing lights and signs that say "Attention Radio Users: Radio Transmission/Reception May be Poor in this Area. Use High Power Output or Move to Clear Location."

Easily better than my HTC Touch/Vogue.

Bars don't mean jack sh!t. Check your sensitivity to tower, as mentioned in this thread.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    anyone know how to dig up some Palm employee emails or phone numbers?

This is definitely Palm's problem, they're the ones who have to fix it, but its now Sprints problem too...but calling/emailing Sprint is only good to let them know the problem, not to get an answer.
    The fact that they're throwing airraves at everybody is little bit of a red flag as well. Is it their only solution? Do they know they have a problem that can't be remedied in a more direct way?
    They don't admit to an emerging problem, but they're willing giving away gobs of free devices anyway? Not likely!
    Quote Originally Posted by lostshootingstar View Post
    Im not sure what makes you all think this can be fixed with a software update. It may very well be a hardware problem.
    Or more likely a MSL issue.....
    The fact that they're throwing airraves at everybody is little bit of a red flag as well. Is it their only solution? Do they know they have a problem that can't be remedied in a more direct way?
    They don't admit to an emerging problem, but they're willing giving away gobs of free devices anyway? Not likely!
    Who is "throwing airraves at everybody," because I haven't been offered one--nor have I even seen one before.

I'm glad mine works flawlessly--like most around here I'm sure. People don't start threads saying "OMG w0wz my signal workz leyke normal!"
    Quote Originally Posted by DivisionByZero View Post
    Mine jumps between Ev, 1x, and no data connection, even in an area with a strong signal.
    Same here. I've been on the phone with Sprint and Palm.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Quote Originally Posted by iFalcon View Post
    Yeah, but that sexy, multitasking paper weight sure is great...lol.
    This "jumping around" gives the term multitasking a WHOLE NEW meaning.
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Is there people still on the original version of the ROM...1.01 having this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    The bars usually don't tell what signal really is. If you want to check the real signal hit ##debug# on dial pad.

In my area the signal is excellent. But I did check the real RF signal and it is at 72. With my HTC Touch it was always around 67
    OK, stupid question. How exactly do you enter ##debug# to get signal strengh on the Pre? How about an HTC Touch? I got one of those I would definately like to compare.
    Many smartphones (probably phones in general) have a hard time sometimes staying in EV-DO, even when in a good area. You might have to go to airplane mode temporarily, to reset the modem.

I used to have to do this a dozen times a day on my HTC Touch/Vogue. Dumbphones seem better about this. I believe it has something to do with holding the data session open, and if it hits a 1X, it never has a chance to disconnect/switch to EV-DO.

Either way, I haven't had to do this often. I think I've done it twice maybe--on the Pre, that is.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mopak View Post
    anyone know how to dig up some Palm employee emails or phone numbers?

This is definitely Palm's problem, they're the ones who have to fix it, but its now Sprints problem too...but calling/emailing Sprint is only good to let them know the problem, not to get an answer.
    Contact the VIP Executive team. I have contacted them and am discussing my situation with them right now. They are dispatching a tech to my area to check the towers and have promised a call by on friday since it takes 24 hours to get the cell tower report.

If you want his email, you can PM me but I don't want to just throw it on the net for anyone that has a small issue can contact him and waste his time.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Many smartphones (probably phones in general) have a hard time sometimes staying in EV-DO, even when in a good area. You might have to go to airplane mode temporarily, to reset the modem.

I used to have to do this a dozen times a day on my HTC Touch/Vogue. Dumbphones seem better about this. I believe it has something to do with holding the data session open, and if it hits a 1X, it never has a chance to disconnect/switch to EV-DO.

Either way, I haven't had to do this often. I think I've done it twice maybe--on the Pre, that is.
    There is a Hash Code for modem stuff. I wasn't sure what it did.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast