1.    #1  
    I have noticed that using universal search you cannot search for a contact by lastname only by firstname so if a contact is John Smith you can't type smith because if won't find it.

Actually, you can't search by lastname even in the contacts app.
    but if you search by typing "j s" it will work real well. First and last initial are easier than spelling out the whole name anyway.
    actually typing in the last name works just fine on mine anyway.
    You must be doing something wrong. Because it searches both first and last names.

POSSIBLY, when you ported over you contacts from a dumb-phone, the single name field got input as just the first name field? That would be an answer to the problem.

But definitely when first and last name fields are filled, universal search checks both fields.
    Quote Originally Posted by hchavarria View Post
    I have noticed that using universal search you cannot search for a contact by lastname only by firstname so if a contact is John Smith you can't type smith because if won't find it.

Actually, you can't search by lastname even in the contacts app.
    Sorry. Searching by last name works fine for me, both in Universal Search and in the Contacts app. I normally type the first letter of the first name and then 1 or 2 letters of the last name.

I seldom use the contacts app, as the universal search feature does a great job searching contacts.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    last name fine for me as well...user error??