Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Took my pre off the charger at 8am and by 4pm it was down to 72%. Light usage, a few phone calls and several texts.
    Quote Originally Posted by YBCold View Post
    I bit lower than yesterrday, but was using it a bit more. 86% at 530pm off the charger from 730am
    I'd kill for that kind of battery life. In that time span my battery would be at about 50% with little or no use.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Im the guy who started this thread and i figured out the whole battery issue. I cannot believe that someone didn't figure this our before ! its sooo simple.

lets lay out the facts:

1) My phone overheated when the phone was new and Now it runs perfect all day long with no heating up at all.
    2) My battery run time was extremely low for the first 2 days.
    3) Now im getting fairly decent battery run times with good usage.

why? and why are there threads of scores of people saying that the battery is getting better as the days go by? does not make sense, since Lipoly batteries dont need conditioning at all.

Here is the simple answer, and yes i am a genius!

The simple fact that we all setup multiple email accounts when 1st getting the phone, as well as google sync! For some reason the palm pre is a little different than a blackberry. The blackberry will only pull NEW emails from the day it was setup. The palm being a little more advanced pulls all emails from any account you setup. I have hundreds of emails in all my accounts....
    There is also a major issue with hotmail, and another issue when using Gmail to forward any email accounts outside of gmail.....The palm pre synced over 1000 emails from my hotmail account and surprised it didnt blow up. It did all this plus two aol accounts while i was texting, surfing and using the phone as normal.

Im pretty confident that my conclusion is correct. I ask those in this forum to test my theory and re-install any and every email account they have. They will see the phone heat up like crazy and suck down battery....

Anyway im very happy now and yes im still going to get the seido 1350 extended battery....you could never have too much money or too much battery! LOL!
    Come Visit Us at www.parkflyers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbcellular View Post
    Update to my Pre battery issues - I was able to get my pre replaced today at the store I purchased it from. When I wnet in the first thing they said was wow this device is hot. It had been charging in my car but they said it seems very hot. They replaced the device and the new one doesn't seem to be getting nearly as hot (yet). Also, the battery life (so far) is a lot better. I tried to drain the batt (from 60%) running Pandora and email and experienced very little drain when running Pandora for 45 min. The batt only went down to 49%.

With this I think there may be a batch with bad batts. The new one I received seems a lot better and the batt life looks like it will make it through the day with moderate usage.

Also, I know there is another thread on this but my new Pre came in the box w the yellow on it and was alreadt updated. The first one was the black box. Not sure it makes a difference but wanted to mention it.
    Thank you for the information. I went to Sprint today and they told me it was a known issue and I can swap the phone for a new one, my problem was that I bought my phone from Radio Shack. I went to Radio Shack, and the manager let me try the demo battery for the night until he gets a shipment tomorrow or he said he would go pick one up somewhere. So far it is A LOT better. I am hoping I get the box with the yellow sleeve. Sounds like I would have a better chance of getting a working phone. It is at 13% after ~6 hours, and I actually got the battery from the manager at ~56%! I have not text or made calls, but I have browsed the web. My last battery would not have lasted this long. Also, it did not get hot. I am still worried though since someone in the forums regarding the boxes said Radio Shack still has the black sleeves. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella Spia View Post
    Thank you for the information. I went to Sprint today and they told me it was a known issue and I can swap the phone for a new one, my problem was that I bought my phone from Radio Shack. I went to Radio Shack, and the manager let me try the demo battery for the night until he gets a shipment tomorrow or he said he would go pick one up somewhere. So far it is A LOT better. I am hoping I get the box with the yellow sleeve. Sounds like I would have a better chance of getting a working phone. It is at 13% after ~6 hours, and I actually got the battery from the manager at ~56%! I have not text or made calls, but I have browsed the web. My last battery would not have lasted this long. Also, it did not get hot. I am still worried though since someone in the forums regarding the boxes said Radio Shack still has the black sleeves. Crossing my fingers for tomorrow.
    Here's another UPDATE on my new (Replaced Pre): My new Pre charged (pretty quick) using just the USB cable plugged into an outlet. This device did not get nearly as hot as the other. Which I took as a good sign. I've turned on WiFi and have been using the device as I normally would and I'm seeing what I would call normal battery drain.

With this in mind I'm thinking that many of the users experiencing poor battery life (and a lot of device heat) may have defective devices (as I did).

If this new Pre keeps up at this rate I think the battery won't be an issue and should get through a work day without any issues.

I think this is a positive as I know a lot of people are having battery issues. Hopefully everyone who is having issues is able to look at getting a replacement as I'm a happy Pre user now with my new Pre.

Also, I have to say Sprint was great handling the replacement. Once they had a new device they set it aside for me and when I went into the store they were very professional, looked at the defective device (and felt how hot it was) and said this doesn't seem to be normal. They swapped the device within 20 minutes and I was on my way. Wanted to give some positive feedback to Sprint Customer Service on this one as I was getting frustrated as well.

Good luck everyone. If you have any questions please let me know. I'll continue to post updates on my findings as this forum has helped me tremendously with questions/issues.
    I took my phone off the charger last nite at 1am.. woke up today at 8am and saw that it had dropped 30%.. 30% just for sitting idle over night for 7 hrs!! is this normal?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    It's 7:20pm. I took mine off the charger at 7am. Got 67% with light to light moderate use.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wootang00 View Post
    I took my phone off the charger last nite at 1am.. woke up today at 8am and saw that it had dropped 30%.. 30% just for sitting idle over night for 7 hrs!! is this normal?
    The phone runs back ups and syncs overnight I think. If you want it off the charger over night, I would prolly turn the phone to airplane mode so you can keep the alarm/events working, but it won't try and backup/sync overnight. Alternately, you can prolly turn these settings off individually but I wouldn't know how since I haven't tried it.

I used to do this with my 755p btw. It would try and sync the palm store app (and prolly some other apps which I was unaware of) overnight and it would kill my battery.
    Last edited by emaddox84; 06/12/2009 at 06:28 PM.
    4 emails, gIM all day, 4-8 calls, browse web about 10 times, having about 3 apps running in background (NO AIM)

go from 7 am - 6pm : 22% left
    "Who really needs to multitask on their phone." - PRE-rock
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    With normal use from 8 to 1 and HEAVY use of the phone between 1 and 6 p.m., my phone was at 24%. I put it onto the Touchstone at 6:15 and right now (7:10 p.m.) it's back up to 38%.
    I took mine off the charger at 730am. Used HEAVILY (constant phone calls, web browsing, video and music at the gym, switching between wifi and ev , email check every 10 or 15 min, etc) and at 4:54pm was at 4%. Plugged it in USB on computer and used phone and minimal data and had a full charge again at 7:20pm..
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    It is 8:26pm, I took mine off the charger this morning at 8am, heavy use throughout the day (texting, calling, web browsing, using apps, camera, making appointments, etc.). It is currently at 47%.
    8:43pm here. 46% charge. Took Pre off charger at 5:40am this morning. 2 and a half hours of phone calls. 2 hours of websurfing mostly on WIFI. A dozen text messages. 15 minutes with where ap. Maybe 15 other minutes with other apps.
    On my 2nd pre (1st one had battery issue).. unplugged at 9:45am, did about 15 emails, 1 10 min call and battery dropped to about 45% by 1pm. wifi was off, bluetooth off.

tried calling customer care, and it dropped 1% a min on avg. so if that stuck 90 min talk time??

it's really really warm as well. i'm on the waitlist to get my 3rd pre, 2nd replacement..
    I got my 2nd pre today (1st replacement) at Radio Shack. I felt so bad because the manager kept telling me that it is only my phone and no one else has this problem. Then he told me that he had to drive far to get it. I tried to tell him that other people have had the problem and I swear all the workers in the store thought I was crazy and said I should not trust what I read on the forums. I am pretty sure though my phone's battery was abnormal.

Anyhow, now it is fully charged, but I am going to try and keep it on the charger for another few hours with my phone off. I am a little nervous though because when the associate at Radio Shack turned my phone on, I sent a couple text messages and it was getting hot again . Both the old and new Pre were manufactured on 5/22/09, and both had the box with the flower and black sleeve. I really wish I got the yellow sleeved box...I think I would have a better chance of having a working phone. I'll update again in the morning.
    Left home at 8PM, got home at 2:30AM. Battery was almost full when I left, spent less than 10 minutes on the Touchstone between that time, and was at 65% when I got home.

Moderate usage. Not much calling, a bunch of Tweed, some web browsing, and IMing. Battery life seems plenty usable. I've noticed it definitely drains fastest when I use the web browser.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    The 1st few days my pre got hot while charging-So hot I was afraid of a battery fire, now it does not? But in 5-6 hours with 15 min. of phone calls and 10-15 e-mails I'm down to 20%. Now my treo 700p with the same usage would go from Friday at 5:00pm till Monday morning!!! I only have a charge for the treo at work. I have turned off IM and Bluetooth. That seems to help some.
    So I think my replacement Pre is better even though I believe it was from the same batch as my first one. I unplugged my phone around 12:30am last night, and it was on standby until 9am this morning at 88%. It is now a little after 3pm, and after making many phone calls, sending text messages, going on the web, downloading apps, it just hit 0%...but I'm still sending text messages right now haha. I'm happy for now. I really hope nothing else goes wrong.
    Add me to the list of people with increasing battery life over time. I've been fooling around with it all day today (to the point of pissing my wife off) including numerous phone calls, tracking my son on FlightView and navigation in the car and it's still at 60%.
    it's 5:30 here, I've been up since 9am, it's at 53%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast