Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    1. LED Notifications

2. Onscreen keyboard available
    Bought the Pre on Sat morning...spent the rest of the day on hold with Sprint and Palm Tech support-the exchange server issue-won't accept a self signed certificate.
    I was then passed up to a Level 2 issue with Palm - promised a call back within 24 hours. Good thing Jack Bauer wasn't waiting for this 24 hours...finally got a call back on Weds!
    I was then, after talking with a level 2 tech, told I need to talk to a Level 3 engineer!
    Finally at 11PM Weds: Palm Level 3 engineer admitted this device WILL NOT WORK with a self signed cert for exchange server!

Level 3 Engineer also said-no updates to deal with THIS issue until at least 2010.
    This is a monumental FOWL UP!
    He agreed and also said they have been dealing with this internally and it's really bad-REALLY BAD!

Going today to "PRE"-order my new 32G iPhone - bye bye Sprint! (about time)

What a bunch of morons

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    1. The PIM SUCKS! My Sharp Zaurus had a better PIM than than the Pre
    2. See #1

Seriously, how dumbed down could they make this thing? Just give a +1 to meyerweb's choices. I tried to quote a post and couldn't get the stupid cursor to go in front of the quote [] part. So I just deleted the "[" assuming I could just hit symbol and choose it, but it wouldn't let me choose "[" from the symbol menu. Moving the cursor within the text box would be so much easier with a d-pad. cutting and pasting would be so much easier with a d-pad. just hold down the orange button and select by using the d-pad. That would just CRUSH any other cut and paste from any touch based phone.

Geez...I was actually having fun playing with the Pre until I actually had to use it. I think mine will be going back by the end of the week.

I am considering the same. I was so looking forward to this device as a replacement to my Centro in terms of PIM functionality but I am finding it falling far short. On a daily basis I see it in terms of all that other functionality as an antique. In terms of PIM functionality it STILL truly shines. Should I hang in for the Pre upgrades to come? Hmmmm? I don't really expect an answer to that and having said what I've said I now await the flaming here. I'll take it if I must. It is what it is and only an opinion. I'm curious how many others share the same. I'm curious, having returned the Pre, what would your next phone be? The new Iphone 3GS offers up OES functionality so I'd be able to tie(presumably) to my work email for calendar and contacts. For the very first time I wonder if Iphone has real world potential for me? S!!xx?x!!,,,, I really wanted this phone to work for me. Frustrated is an understatement! It would be nice if Palm would offer up some "features to come". Perhaps that list would alleviate some of my jumping ship tendencies... Good thread!
    1) PIM
    2) Battery life
    The unfortunate thing is many who rely on the PIM functionality can't wait 30 days to see if it's coming or not. Considering how it's the core functionality of the OS, I HIGHLY doubt they will add that PIM functionality back. Just remember, you'll be paying aobut $360 more per year for an iphone. And while it might have better access to contacts and calendars than it did before, you still won't be able to do more with the info once it's on the phone. I don't believe the PIM functionality is improving. It should be just as dumb as the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by maykinit View Post
    [/B]

I am considering the same. I was so looking forward to this device as a replacement to my Centro in terms of PIM functionality but I am finding it falling far short. On a daily basis I see it in terms of all that other functionality as an antique. In terms of PIM functionality it STILL truly shines. Should I hang in for the Pre upgrades to come? Hmmmm? I don't really expect an answer to that and having said what I've said I now await the flaming here. I'll take it if I must. It is what it is and only an opinion. I'm curious how many others share the same. I'm curious, having returned the Pre, what would your next phone be? The new Iphone 3GS offers up OES functionality so I'd be able to tie(presumably) to my work email for calendar and contacts. For the very first time I wonder if Iphone has real world potential for me? S!!xx?x!!,,,, I really wanted this phone to work for me. Frustrated is an understatement! It would be nice if Palm would offer up some "features to come". Perhaps that list would alleviate some of my jumping ship tendencies... Good thread!
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    1) Saves files (pictures/Mp3) from internet browser
    2) Bluetooth file transfer, the main reason I bought touchstone is not deal with that microusb but I still have to use it because of file transfer.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    1) Reception
    2) Battery
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Well so far after counting up all the posts, it seems that battery life is the single biggest issue with the palm pre. I was thinking that if Seido (an aftermarket battery company ) can manufacture a battery for the pre that yeilds 17% gain in battery capacity them palm can do the same. I would hope to see palm include this type of battery in the 2nd production run of the pre.I would be a very wise business move. When the iphone came out apple was in a pickle because everyone complained about poor battery life and apple had a sealed case design where the user was stuck at OEM battery capacity. At least with the pre the user can upgrade with a simple battery swap.

So if Palm is reading this, 1st see about a 2nd production run with a larger capacity battery. You can use all the stock batteries purchased for the pre for the centro phone production , so you wouldnt actually have any waste, and yes im looking for a job at palm, seriously......Marc M
    Come Visit Us at www.parkflyers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by rhewitt View Post
    (I don't need to copy something I wrote, I need to copy something I looked up!)
    Nail. Head. HIT!

My 2:

1 - Why can't I read my email in landscape?
    2 - Not being able to remove Facebook "friends" from my contact list is just plain dumb. I mean, 95% of my Facebook friends are FB only, it's highly doubtful we will ever chat on the phone.
    3 - Internet speed. What is 3G? It takes a full minute to open Foxnews.com or CNN.com. have yet been able to watch an entire YouTube video without serious pauses so phone can catch up with streaming.
    1. battery life
    2. reception / signal

Battery was dead by 3:30 pm yesterday with VERY light use (basically one 30 minute phone call on speakerphone with screen off the whole time).

I've been on Sprint for over 10 years and have 4 lines. I have dropped more calls on the Pre than any other Sprint phone I've had. Other phones get 4-5 bars all through my house while the Pre rarely has more than one.
    1- Sluggishness

2- Battery

I am seriously considering taking this piece of **** back and cancelling my contract with sprint. This phone is BS!
    Notifier Light, like the treo had. and most dumbphones even. a signal light that doubles as a notifier that you have a message waiting (voicemail, sms, email) so you don't have to go to the phone and hit the power button to see for yourself. this would be great in the car, while cooking, etc when you could just tell at a glance whether you need to deal with anything. maybe tap into the light on the launcher button?
    Last edited by oldsmobuick; 06/11/2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: syntax
    1. BATTERY LIFE big problem. Hoping a firmware update will fix that.
    2. CALL VOLUME. To low at max, can't hold a conversation out in the street.
    1. RECEPTION
    2. Add in PIM functionality that's been present in Palm OS for the last 10 years
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherjpeg View Post
    1. RECEPTION
    2. Add in PIM functionality that's been present in Palm OS for the last 10 years

Well said, I'll second his second!!! Geez, aside from horrible battery life which noone can live without, I'm thinking this phone is yet another device that may do well with the newbies to Palm. For those of us who have lived and breathed the Palm OS, it falls very short. Again this is in terms of PIM functionality. Datebk is your friend!
    Battery Life

Feeling that the software was rushed out.
    1. Calendar lag
    2. Full copy & paste
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DoeChop View Post
    1- Sluggishness

2- Battery

I am seriously considering taking this piece of **** back and cancelling my contract with sprint. This phone is BS!
    Everyone gets frustrated when a new phone is released on a brand new platform and there is a period where it takes time to get things working just right. It's even happened to Apple believe it or not. However I must ask which reviews did you happen to read before obtaining this phone? Every single review I read mentions less than adequate battery life and, well, sluggishness.

I believe the onus is on the consumer to be informed before making a purchase. Maybe this would cut down on the number of sour grapes complaints on this board.

Here's an idea; Read, Research and contribute to help fix the problem rather than blather about how disappointed you are.

Just my opinion of course.
    "You can't change people, only your reaction to them"
    Quote Originally Posted by tialoc View Post
    Everyone gets frustrated when a new phone is released on a brand new platform and there is a period where it takes time to get things working just right. It's even happened to Apple believe it or not. However I must ask which reviews did you happen to read before obtaining this phone? Every single review I read mentions less than adequate battery life and, well, sluggishness.

I believe the onus is on the consumer to be informed before making a purchase. Maybe this would cut down on the number of sour grapes complaints on this board.

Here's an idea; Read, Research and contribute to help fix the problem rather than blather about how disappointed you are.

Just my opinion of course.
    I agree with the general advice that this new platform will get better (especially the"sluggishness" issue) but I have to strongly disagree with chastizing this user. Both "sluggishness" and "maybe less than expected battery life" are very subjective terms. Of the two, the battery (being hardware) will be harder to fix, but still even then there are things we mere mortal users can before some software fixes might help us out:

1) Run as few "cards" (programs) as you need. There have been times when I've only had 2 or 3 cards open and the system told me it did not have enough memory. This sort of case would be caused by a badly written app, and should be fixable.

2) Regarding the battery not lasting for some users, I think software improvements will eventually help here too: Often I forget to turn off wi-fi when leaving my home. Having a software list of GPS locations for your preferred wi-fi spots could fix this sort of issue in an instant (by automatically turning on and off wifi, and not searching elsewhere unless you specifically tell it to).

3) I've noticed that the 1.02 update has actually fixed one issue that I found on my device at the end of day 1 of ownership. (That problem was that the system was not responding after charging after a "battery completely out of juice" situation. After installing update 1.02, the system properly reboots after about 5 minutes on the charger.)

Telling users that "they were stupid to buy this thing in the first place" is not going to win over any new friends. The platform should be good enough from the beginning so that users from the "non-early-adopter" profile do not jump. To this (and any other) frustrated user(s): I'd encourage you to nicely present the problems you are experiencing both to Sprint (ideally at your local store) and online in this and other forums. Everyone is willing to help, but sometimes we express our frustration too. Good luck, and I hope things work out for you (on this or another phone).

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tialoc View Post
    Well, I read and researched EVERYTHING about this phone for five months before purchasing! I can deal with sluggishness / battery issues even, but the fact that I have had to spend over 3.5 hours on the phone today with both Sprint and Palm and they have not been able to fix the synergy issue with Google calendars that other people are reporting on different forums is unacceptable. And this is after spending countless hours troubleshooting with others on forums who are having the same issue.

I bought this phone SPECIFICALLY for its synergy feature with Google! If I can't get events and contacts that are added on my phone to sync with Google and vise versa it is useless to me. It would be nice if it worked as advertised! I really, really, really WANT to like the Pre and this is a deal breaker for me. Everything in their literature and advertising pointed that it would work.

Initial events sync when it is set up, but anything added after that is only sporadically syncing, if at all, even after 48 hours! Unacceptable. I have had to wipe my phone out twice already and reinstall from my backup to get it to work right, only to have it stop working again within 24 hours.

I write this as I sit on my 3.5 hours point on the phone, now on hold, this time with Palm, since Sprint can't seem to help me with this!
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast