View Poll Results: Should WebOS enhance cursor placement?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I can never get the cursor in the correct place!

29 67.44%
  • No, I have pin-point accuracy everytime.

5 11.63%
  • Meh... it doesn't bother me..

9 20.93%
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Is it just me or is there no way to adjust the cursor location in editable textboxes? It makes me really appreciate the magnifier on the iPhone to ensure you can place your cursor exactly where you want it. I've found myself tapping at least 3-4 times in order to get the cursor exactly where I want it in order to edit something.

PROPOSED SOLUTION:
    Add a left + right tap gesture on the two sides of the center button while in an editable field will move the cursor respectively.

*edit*
    There is no place I'm aware of to 'add' a gesture Jupiter...I've changed the wording.
    where u go to "add" a gesture?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    orange key + drag on screen in direction you want to move the cursor

give it a shot
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post

give it a shot
    Yeah, this post just got quiet I think haha.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

give it a shot
    Awesome. Thanks! I must have not RTFM closely enough(too eager to play with the device!). Mod, close this thread please..
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

give it a shot
    Yup, and I love how your drag doesn't have to be anywhere near the text box (once you've tapped inside and hit the orange key). Makes cursor placement incredibly easy IMO.
    I know of both the shift and drag, and orange key and drag, but I think there should also be another gesture for just moving one letter at a time. Maybe orange and left side of the gesture area, and orange and right side of the gesture area.

The orange and drag works pretty well, but I always find I'm a letter or two off of where I want it to be.
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    I found this feature on my own but I didn't realize for awhile that you can drag anywhere on the screen left or right to move the cursor. Very handy dandy.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    The iPhone method with the magnifying glass is a bit better however since you can do it with one hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I know of both the shift and drag, and orange key and drag, but I think there should also be another gesture for just moving one letter at a time. Maybe orange and left side of the gesture area, and orange and right side of the gesture area.

The orange and drag works pretty well, but I always find I'm a letter or two off of where I want it to be.
    I've found it to be a little difficult to use. And when selecting text, I've not yet figured out how to select beyond the current line (e.g., to select a paragraph of text and not just a single line).

It's not a terrible solution, but it could definitely be tightened up.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I've found it to be a little difficult to use. And when selecting text, I've not yet figured out how to select beyond the current line (e.g., to select a paragraph of text and not just a single line).

It's not a terrible solution, but it could definitely be tightened up.
    Both shift and orange also work with the up/down swipe so you can select multiple lines fast or move up/down lines fast.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    The worst is when you're typing out a long text message. If you go back up a line or two to correct or edit something you previously wrote, there is no way to return back to the end of the message. No scrolling, no arrow buttons, NOTHING!
    Quote Originally Posted by ahnoff View Post
    The worst is when you're typing out a long text message. If you go back up a line or two to correct or edit something you previously wrote, there is no way to return back to the end of the message. No scrolling, no arrow buttons, NOTHING!
    Um, have you tried the shortcut mentioned here? Orange and right or orange and down?
    Quote Originally Posted by notabun View Post
    Both shift and orange also work with the up/down swipe so you can select multiple lines fast or move up/down lines fast.
    Hmmm... Just tried it in an email reply vs. a Web form. Much easier there. So, yes, some inconsistencies need worked out.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    There is one exception. Shift and up doesn't work in a text message / AIM, whatever. Probably because in that it's all one really long line.
    Sticky this thread and change the title.

This question comes up far to often.
    This is great and I don't recall seeing this in any of the guides before. This helps out a TON, but it would be nice to have a character by character movement. I find that this orange key and swipe method is hard to just move one at a time, but it does help.

Anyhow, thanks for the tip. The worst is when you are in a text box and you need to get to the first or last character, but can't quite select it. Or when it's off the screen like in a web URL.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I think the lack of precision has to do with the smaller screen size and awkward button combos because 7mo later and I still can't do it perfect. But what really hurts is when you finally highlight exactly what you wanted to cut, hit the Cut combo command and then it ends up not registering and deleting the entire line. At this point I've simply given up on cut/paste and just retype everything.

Quote Originally Posted by nuchin View Post
    It makes me really appreciate the magnifier on the iPhone to ensure you can place your cursor exactly where you want it.
    The iPhone lacking copy/paste for such a ridiculous amount of time was a running joke. But now that it has arrived then they really do have the best implementation of it. The magnifier gets the cursor exactly where you need it, and the pull-bars make it easy to select exactly what you want.