Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1.    #1  
    hey guys, this is more an update on my other thread. after the pre took a totally unnecessary swim, i tried all the suggestions i could find and the pre never got back to working status.

    so best buy says they do not cover submerged phones. their plan in an instance of your (for example) boat sinking is useless. it covers water damage, but not totally submerged damage. i don't know what the difference is but that's what the told me.

    TEP just goes straight to assurion. they gave me no real problems at all other than one and it's important.

    i asked my sprint rep and the assurion rep about this and they both assured me that after filing the claim i could activate my old phone no problems. not true. after filing the claim assurion has to process it, when they processed mine, the old phone was activated and thus they thought the phone that was lost was my htc mogul.

    it's all straightened out and i should have my second pre tomorrow, but it wasn't without it's hick-ups. so just a word of warning, if something happens to your phone file a claim immediately and don't activate an old phone until you have confirmed that another pre is shipping to you.
  2. d94
    d94 is offline
    d94's Avatar
    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    #2  
    tep in hearbeat
    for mobile phones bb insurance is junk.
    if you come into my service center with TEP i can service your phone, if you have water damage you go through assurian and pay a deductible. physical damage - deductable. everything else = covered. not to mention once you use the BB insurance you have to re-buy i think
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysb View Post
    hey guys, this is more an update on my other thread. after the pre took a totally unnecessary swim, i tried all the suggestions i could find and the pre never got back to working status.

    so best buy says they do not cover submerged phones. their plan in an instance of your (for example) boat sinking is useless. it covers water damage, but not totally submerged damage. i don't know what the difference is but that's what the told me.

    TEP just goes straight to assurion. they gave me no real problems at all other than one and it's important.

    i asked my sprint rep and the assurion rep about this and they both assured me that after filing the claim i could activate my old phone no problems. not true. after filing the claim assurion has to process it, when they processed mine, the old phone was activated and thus they thought the phone that was lost was my htc mogul.

    it's all straightened out and i should have my second pre tomorrow, but it wasn't without it's hick-ups. so just a word of warning, if something happens to your phone file a claim immediately and don't activate an old phone until you have confirmed that another pre is shipping to you.
    I activated my old phone before i contacted Asurion. The important thing is to tell them that you activated your old phone after the accident/damage to the device you want to replace. they should be able to look at your history and get the correct one ordered.
  4. #4  
    I just got signed up for TEP last month and had to use it on my Touch Diamond, I definitely made sure to keep it on there. Asurion was easy to work with, I hate Best Buy for a number of reasons, so I try to avoid them at all costs.
  5. Virgil's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    tep in hearbeat
    for mobile phones bb insurance is junk.
    if you come into my service center with TEP i can service your phone, if you have water damage you go through assurian and pay a deductible. physical damage - deductable. everything else = covered. not to mention once you use the BB insurance you have to re-buy i think
    BB Insurance is NOT junk if you are a regular user.

    TEP has over a $100 deductable for the Pre, BB does not. Yeah, BB doesn't cover lost/stolen or swimming with the phone, so the people who have those problems, then the TEP is for them.

    I've never gone swimming with my phone or had one stolen (knock on wood). For most people, the BB is better because I don't pay a deductable and it cover NORMAL wear and tear. If I drop it, spill something, or just have something go wrong. That is most people.

    I will never get TEP also because there is no guarantee that you will actually get your model of phone in exchange. They give refurbs, and sometimes not even your phone. Best Buy gives me my phone repaired or a brand new one. I'll take that any day.
  6. enjoyingsilence
    enjoyingsilence's Avatar
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysb View Post
    hey guys, this is more an update on my other thread. after the pre took a totally unnecessary swim, i tried all the suggestions i could find and the pre never got back to working status.

    so best buy says they do not cover submerged phones. their plan in an instance of your (for example) boat sinking is useless. it covers water damage, but not totally submerged damage. i don't know what the difference is but that's what the told me.

    TEP just goes straight to assurion. they gave me no real problems at all other than one and it's important.

    i asked my sprint rep and the assurion rep about this and they both assured me that after filing the claim i could activate my old phone no problems. not true. after filing the claim assurion has to process it, when they processed mine, the old phone was activated and thus they thought the phone that was lost was my htc mogul.

    it's all straightened out and i should have my second pre tomorrow, but it wasn't without it's hick-ups. so just a word of warning, if something happens to your phone file a claim immediately and don't activate an old phone until you have confirmed that another pre is shipping to you.
    they (best buy) covers submerged phones. it's not up to the store to make that decision either. they send them off to a facility that makes the call. jfyi: the store I'm having my Pre fiasco completed @, bb mobile supervisor told me she had a phone come in, blackberry, that had algae growing out of it.. and they replaced it.

    TEP is great if u lose your phone. BB doesn't cover that. but also, BB doesn't have a deductible. TEP does. BB doesn't have a replacement limit over the 2 year period you pay for it. TEP does.
  7. Virgil's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by foolishfocus View Post
    I just got signed up for TEP last month and had to use it on my Touch Diamond, I definitely made sure to keep it on there. Asurion was easy to work with, I hate Best Buy for a number of reasons, so I try to avoid them at all costs.
    Now, are you one of those people who hate Best Buy because of specific incidents with specific employees, or because of Best Buy policies as a whole.

    I'm not trying to call you out here, but I just get tired of people not liking an entire company of over 10,000 employees because of a few individuals. All Corporate Franchises are going to have crap employees here and there who don't represent the brand accordingly. I think to hold that against the company is crap. I guarantee you that if you give me a company you like, I can find a few locations that aren't too great either.

    Now, if it's an actual policy, like At&t's restocking fee or Wal-Mart's "we don't train associates cause we are grab and go", then I completely understand.

    Hate comments usually make the person making the comment come off as ignorant unless their is a specific reason that makes sense, which is why I always ask for clarity.
  8. #8  
    best buy costs 10 bux a month and turn around time is nowhere near as quick as TEP....
  9. enjoyingsilence
    enjoyingsilence's Avatar
    #9  
    that's 3 dollars more a month than TEP. if I'm not mistaken. See my point? 3 bucks. That's 2 vending machine sodas you can live without .
  10. Virgil's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    best buy costs 10 bux a month and turn around time is nowhere near as quick as TEP....
    Yes, the monthly is $3 more a month, but do the math. You have to pay around $125 in deductable for the Pre. That means that you would have to own the phone for 41 months for the Best Buy Plan to cost more than the Sprint one. And considering that phone is eligible for full upgrade in 22 months, the Best Buy one is still overall cheaper.

    Also, it's not true about it taking longer. In fact, the Pre is one of the quickest turn around phones for Best Buy, like with the iPhone. They do a rapid exchange and you will have your phone back within 7-10 days or a brand new one. Most people see Rapid Exchanges in as quick as 3 days.

    Please don't make statements unless you know them to be facts.
  11. k1dude's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #11  
    BB insurance is worthless. They have a history of not honoring their equipment contracts. I should know, I'm one of their victims. Surf the web and check their record regarding not honoring valid contracts. Don't do it. I switched to Sprint offered insurance and have NEVER been disappointed.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil1528 View Post
    Yes, the monthly is $3 more a month, but do the math. You have to pay around $125 in deductable for the Pre. That means that you would have to own the phone for 41 months for the Best Buy Plan to cost more than the Sprint one. And considering that phone is eligible for full upgrade in 22 months, the Best Buy one is still overall cheaper.

    Also, it's not true about it taking longer. In fact, the Pre is one of the quickest turn around phones for Best Buy, like with the iPhone. They do a rapid exchange and you will have your phone back within 7-10 days or a brand new one. Most people see Rapid Exchanges in as quick as 3 days.

    Please don't make statements unless you know them to be facts.
    well i'm getting the pre in two days with tep and best buy most certainly told me they didn't not cover my submerged phone. best buy insurance is definitely the best bet if you're not a fisherman, but in my instance of misfortune TEP saved me the cost of a brand new pre without the upgrade or rebate.

    so how much is that like 600 bucks?

    it depends on your situation and for me TEP is better. i've never dropped a phone, scratched a screen, cracked a screen, etc. so Best Buy is not for me. I got it because of the no deductible thing, but that's worthless when they don't even cover your damage.
  13. Virgil's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by tommysb View Post
    well i'm getting the pre in two days with tep and best buy most certainly told me they didn't not cover my submerged phone. best buy insurance is definitely the best bet if you're not a fisherman, but in my instance of misfortune TEP saved me the cost of a brand new pre without the upgrade or rebate.

    so how much is that like 600 bucks?

    it depends on your situation and for me TEP is better. i've never dropped a phone, scratched a screen, cracked a screen, etc. so Best Buy is not for me. I got it because of the no deductible thing, but that's worthless when they don't even cover your damage.
    Oh, I absolutely agree with you on this. The TEP is for people who run the risk of losing their phone, dropping it in water, or working in a construction yard where you could possibly bring the thing back in a bag of parts. Best Buy WILL NOT cover those things.

    For everyone else, who just have normal day-to-day with a phone, the Best Buy Plan I believe to be far better. It will be cheaper in the end and you are going to get your phone back.

    The only thing I don't know about the TEP is what they consider to be a comparable model to the Pre. I know of so many people who had a touch pro and were given a blackberry or had a blackberry, but given a 520. The definition of comparable in Sprint is fairly lacking. With the Pre, does anyone know if they would DEFINITELY replace it with a Pre? I'm sure it's too early to tell yet as everyone is in their 30 days right now.
  14. Virgil's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
    BB insurance is worthless. They have a history of not honoring their equipment contracts. I should know, I'm one of their victims. Surf the web and check their record regarding not honoring valid contracts. Don't do it. I switched to Sprint offered insurance and have NEVER been disappointed.
    Please be specific about your situation.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil1528 View Post
    You have to pay around $125 in deductable for the Pre.

    Please don't make statements unless you know them to be facts.
    The deducible for smartphones (including the Palm Pre) is $100, not "over $100", not $125. Phone Protection Solutions

    The next time you say something, it would be good to check your facts.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
  16. Virgil's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    The deducible for smartphones (including the Palm Pre) is $100, not "over $100", not $125. Phone Protection Solutions

    The next time you say something, it would be good to check your facts.
    If that is the case, then both the Sprint Rep on the phone and in the store lied or were mis-informed. I also have used the TEP on a Blackberry and was charged $125 in a deductable. The way they build the deductable is around the outright price of the phone, which the Pre is in the upper tier.

    Even if it is $100, that would still take over 33 months for the TEP to be cheaper than the Best Buy Plan.
  17. #17  
    I'm just going by why I was told, and what I was told is backed up by the information given on Sprint's Website. I have not had TEP before until now, but this is what the Website says.

    How much does Total Equipment Protection cost?

    How much does Total Equipment Protection cost?
    The monthly fee for Total Equipment Protection is $7 per line per month. There is also a $50 or $100 non-refundable deductible depending on phone model for approved replacements under the Equipment Replacement Program.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
  18. ame
    ame is offline
    ame's Avatar
    Posts
    499 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    #18  
    I will *never* buy Best Buy's "insurance". Its a scam.

    I have had TEP on every phone (esp my husbands since the guy can't take one out of his pocket before washing for chrissake) for several years. I am glad I have because Ive had to use it ...esp on my husbands.
  19. #19  
    I had BB insurance on my Touch Pro before they went up to $9/month or whatever it is. At one point, my credit/debit card changed to a new expiration date. Best Buy NEVER contacted me about it. Instead, the coverage lapsed, and when I asked them to reinstate (clearly they had not tried to contact me in any reasonable way), they said I could not reinstate coverage. 5 minutes later, I was happily on TEP. The Pre is definitely on TEP.

    What strikes me as so odd is that the BB insurance was covering a mobile PHONE. Which means if there's an account problem, they had the number to contact me on said PHONE! 5 minutes would have resolved the problem. So, if you have BB insurance, make sure that your credit/debit card expirations are up to date on your account, because BB will not make any effort to call you, and instead let your coverage lapse after which you CANNOT reactivate it.

    Though TEP has the deductible issue, I still think it's better overall - I personally have never had to claim a phone on it, but from what I've seen, the turnaround is nearly instant, and things are taken care of very quickly and professionally.
  20. Virgil's Avatar
    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ByteMaster0 View Post
    I had BB insurance on my Touch Pro before they went up to $9/month or whatever it is. At one point, my credit/debit card changed to a new expiration date. Best Buy NEVER contacted me about it. Instead, the coverage lapsed, and when I asked them to reinstate (clearly they had not tried to contact me in any reasonable way), they said I could not reinstate coverage. 5 minutes later, I was happily on TEP. The Pre is definitely on TEP.

    What strikes me as so odd is that the BB insurance was covering a mobile PHONE. Which means if there's an account problem, they had the number to contact me on said PHONE! 5 minutes would have resolved the problem. So, if you have BB insurance, make sure that your credit/debit card expirations are up to date on your account, because BB will not make any effort to call you, and instead let your coverage lapse after which you CANNOT reactivate it.

    Though TEP has the deductible issue, I still think it's better overall - I personally have never had to claim a phone on it, but from what I've seen, the turnaround is nearly instant, and things are taken care of very quickly and professionally.
    That's interesting. I'm going to look into that one to see if that's a policy or an specific instance. Thanks for bringing it up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions