Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    When you call in with a question/problem to Sprint about your Palm PRE within the first 90 days of purchase. Sprint routes you over to Palm to resolve your issue. But as always with these companies they have outsourced they support to India. I spent a frustrating 20 mins trying to explain my issue. But I kept getting the canned responses. So I just hung up on them. You would think that being a big launch like this they would put thier first class support on the phone for the Pre.
    These guys are L1. They only let you go to L2 in rare cases that there is actually a fix that has no written explanation. L2 won't talk to you if they already know that thing is broken and they're working on a fix.

These guys in India (the 3 I've spoken to) understand me better than most. I'm sure it's hit or miss. Maybe you'd like to pay $500 for the phone and get service from an engineer in California. There are NO free lunches.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Maybe you'd like to pay $500 for the phone and get service from an engineer in California. There are NO free lunches.
    Production cost is not an excuse for poor customer service.
    The Pre ain't free.

But your point seems to be that it's better to have canned responses thrown at you until you hang up in frustration - as has happened to many of us.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightpix View Post
    Production cost is not an excuse for poor customer service.
    Oh yes it is. We (as consumers) have indicated millions of times over that we are more interested in saving money than we are in superior service. We do that with our purchase $$$'s. Unfortunately, business have gotten the message.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I always ask for someone local (in the U.S.) and I always get someone. I refuse to talk to someone in India.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    These guys are L1. They only let you go to L2 in rare cases that there is actually a fix that has no written explanation. L2 won't talk to you if they already know that thing is broken and they're working on a fix.

These guys in India (the 3 I've spoken to) understand me better than most. I'm sure it's hit or miss. Maybe you'd like to pay $500 for the phone and get service from an engineer in California. There are NO free lunches.
    Actually yes, I'd rather pay more and get a US tech then an outsource tech support, this would me more insource jobs versus outsourced, and truly better communication across. Many times when I call someone in India I don't understand them and they don't understand me.
    Palm Inc, has just over 1000 employees.

I don't think they can afford internal customer service.
  9. enjoyingsilence
    I ended up calling corporate.. asking to leave a message for Mr Rubenstein... they wouldn't transfer me to his voicemail directly, but his assistant took down my info, and had US based engineering call me back
    Quote Originally Posted by hchavarria View Post
    Actually yes, I'd rather pay more and get a US tech then an outsource tech support, this would me more insource jobs versus outsourced, and truly better communication across. Many times when I call someone in India I don't understand them and they don't understand me.
    Now if you can get all the Walmart shoppers to share your view you might be on to something. As HParsons indicated, companies CHOOSE what level of service to provide and some provide none at all or charge for such service. If they could recoup the cost of true white glove service by charging $500 for the phone, THEY WOULD. They have learned that charging $500 for a phone just leaves them with virtually NO customers to serve.

I wish they had better service, but I also chose the carrier with the CHEAPEST plans and a company that shoved a ton of technology into a phone and is selling it at a competitive price.

Since I've run businesses that require customer service, I understand the tradeoffs that must be made. I remarked that these folks in India (that I spoke to) seemed to have a better understanding of US English than many. That's a start.